Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tattoos.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I've always wanted to get Gustave Dore's depiction of Satan on my chest but wouldn't be able to trust anyone with the task for fear it would turn out ****e.

That's a fantastic idea for a tattoo. Mind you I'd be extremely picky in my choice of artist to go get that done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

kneemos wrote: »
    The whole or part onthe reason for a tattoo seems to be look at me,can't believe anyone has ever refused to talk about it.

Most people I know have tattoos in areas where they can either hide or display them.
    And for most of the time, they would be hidden. So hardly a "look at me!" thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

The whole or part onthe reason for a tattoo seems to be look at me,can't believe anyone has ever refused to talk about it.

I would hazard a guess, that the majority of people who have tattoos, have them in places where they would not be visible in most social settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

Not when it comes to fashion. You may disagree with how something looks or not get it. But the wearer isn't wrong.

But you don't wear any tattoos ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I've always wanted to get Gustave Dore's depiction of Satan on my chest but wouldn't be able to trust anyone with the task for fear it would turn out ****e.
    Plenty of artists who would do a great job of that Kris at Wildcat Dublin for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

But you don't wear any tattoos ?

Yes. Which is a choice I've made. And the right one for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Honestly, no image or statement means enough to me to have it on me permanently. I get that some people get tattoos that don't have a deep meaning but for me it would need to.

Not even "Banned"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Shenshen wrote: »
    Most people I know have tattoos in areas where they can either hide or display them.
    And for most of the time, they would be hidden. So hardly a "look at me!" thing.

So why would someone get a tattoo on say their back where they can't see it?

Yes. Which is a choice I've made. And the right one for now.

Sure, but I can't understand why someone would not get one in this day and age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

So why would someone get a tattoo on say their back where they can't see it?

No idea, you'd have to ask someone who has a tattoo like that.
    Mine is on my ankle. Hidden for most of the time, but I can see it whenever I want to, and I can show it whenever I fancy.

If you like the way something looks on you, why wouldn't you want others to see it? You don't get a nice haircut and then wear a cap to make sure nobody can see it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Shenshen wrote: »
    No idea, you'd have to ask someone who has a tattoo like that.
    Mine is on my ankle. Hidden for most of the time, but I can see it whenever I want to, and I can show it whenever I fancy.

If you like the way something looks on you, why wouldn't you want others to see it? You don't get a nice haircut and then wear a cap to make sure nobody can see it?

Theres also what part suits the design etc

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57766505&postcount=2606

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Packrat

Sure, but I can't understand why someone would not get one in this day and age

What are you on about ?????

Plenty of people choose not to cover their body with stupid pictures which will look crapper and crapper as time goes on, or even worse "deep meaningful phrases" in Chinese or Irish or some other language they don't speak.

Should we all rush out and get tattooed cos you think they're all rebel n stuff?

With all respect buddy, if you can't understand that not everyone wants to do that, then there's no hope...

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The great thing about tattoos is that they act as a filter for the judgemental prudes when you meet new people, so you don't have to waste time like, talking to them and stuff.

The great thing about tattoos is that they act as a filter for the judgemental prudes when you meet new people, so you don't have to waste time like, talking to them and stuff.

So unless they have visible tattoos, you won't bother to speak to someone you meet for the first time... You must have loads of friends dude...'n stuff like.

This is like shooting fish in a barrel. :-)

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

Nah, flip it around. There's plenty of people who, judging by what they come out with in this thread, wouldn't bother wasting my time by engaging with me once they spotted my tattoo. Sounds like a victory for both parties to me.

But good job on the random, childish ad hominem.

Nah, flip it around. There's plenty of people who, judging by what they come out with in this thread, wouldn't bother wasting my time by engaging with me once they spotted my tattoo.

I feel the same, anyone under 30 these days without a tattoo should be viewed with suspicion imho. It up to then to prove their bona fides to me.

I feel the same, anyone under 30 these days without a tattoo should be viewed with suspicion imho. It up to then to prove their bona fides to me.

That's not what I said, but all right. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Every second bearded eejit, and idiot teenage girl has a tattoo these days,thought the whole idea of them was to be different and stand out.Not much standing out to be done when they're so common,unless you opt for a self inflicted,prison earned spider web type one that was de rigueur with gougers in the 90's!

Can't see them making a comeback somehow though.

thought the whole idea of them was to be different and stand out.

Where did you get that idea?

• Advertisement

Nah, flip it around. There's plenty of people who, judging by what they come out with in this thread, wouldn't bother wasting my time by engaging with me once they spotted my tattoo. Sounds like a victory for both parties to me.

Oh right, you meant it the other way, that people without tattoos won't talk to you because of your visible tattoos?

I've no tattoos and I regularly chat with people who do, - shock horror, I'm even engaged to one !!

So maybe it's for some other reason they don't talk to you...

It was you started with the ad hominems buddy, no point in crying when people turn back stuff you say yourself on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Don't much care as long as nobody anywhere within earshot ever explains the reason for their tattoo.

I always cringe whenever anyone asks me about mine and just say the shortest possible thing I can ("Erra I just liked the way it looked" doesn't satisfy most people though :pac:) I know how annoying it is listening to someone twat on about their gap-year and their dead dog and all that shíte.

Put your research in sure, check out people's portfolios and stuff. There's great artists in Ireland but also think about checking out conventions that can have visiting international artists and maybe if you'd be willing to travel to the UK or something.

Packrat wrote: »
    Oh right, you meant it the other way, that people without tattoos won't talk to you because of your visible tattoos?

I've no tattoos and I regularly chat with people who do, - shock horror, I'm even engaged to one !!

So maybe it's for some other reason they don't talk to you...

I don't recall saying that nobody without a tattoo would speak to me, but sure keep tossing out those fallacies.

It was you started with the ad hominems buddy, no point in crying when people turn back stuff you say yourself on you.

I didn't. I can only assume you are not clear on what that means.

Anyway, clearly we wouldn't get on, so let's not waste any more of one another's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

So unless they have visible tattoos, you won't bother to speak to someone you meet for the first time... You must have loads of friends dude...'n stuff like.

This is like shooting fish in a barrel. :-)

That's not what I said, but all right. :P

Here's what Maximus posted >>>>>

Here is your heads.

So someone isn't talking to someone else and tattoos are the issue.
    So unless they have visible tattoos, you won't bother to speak to someone you meet for the first time...)

Me asking for clarification.

You clarified that it would be the others not talking to you because of your tattoos.
    I don't recall saying that nobody without a tattoo would speak to me,
    Anyway, clearly we wouldn't get on, so let's not waste any more of one another's time.

Then immediately denied it ????

If you really loved your fiancé you'd get a matching tattoo with her name on it, instead of being an oddball that has no tats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

A friend of mine was literally obsessed with those tattoos that can only be described as dots people used to get on their elbows and shoulders about 5 years ago....

Recently we saw a fella on the beach with a tribal tattoo spanning from his shoulder to chest....She said "omg, thats the best tattoo ever!"

I said " i thought you like those dot tattoos?"
    Her reply was "Ahh they are well gone out fashion."

That sums up everything i need to know about tattoos.

So someone isn't talking to someone else and tattoos are the issue.

Me asking for clarification.

You clarified that it would be the others not talking to you because of your tattoos.

Then immediately denied it ????

I'm actually concerned. You've got to be joking.

He said in no uncertain terms that at least if you're sporting a tattoo, you know what people to avoid talking to when they come up and explain to you that you're "Mutiliating your body" etc. Essentially the holier than thou crowd who always let you know their opinion on your body.

A friend of mine was literally obsessed with those tattoos that can only be described as dots people used to get on their elbows and shoulders about 5 years ago....

Recently we saw a fella on the beach with a tribal tattoo spanning from his shoulder to chest....She said "omg, thats the best tattoo ever!"

I said " i thought you like those dot tattoos?"
    Her reply was "Ahh they are well gone out fashion."

That sums up everything i need to know about tattoos.

One person of the billions on this earth's opinion of tattoos allows you to effectively sum up tattoos for the rest of the world. Fantastic logic there.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    One person of the billions on this earth's opinion of tattoos allows you to effectively sum up tattoos for the rest of the world. Fantastic logic there.

A person who loves tattoos claiming that a permanent body mark she used to love is now "well out of fashion" only a handful of years later sums it up perfectly for me, yes. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Irish sailors have been getting them for centuries. Ourselves and the English picked it up off the islanders (someone else will know better) when we went off world conquering. So while I'm in the "not in a million years" camp regarding myself - there is nothing culturally negative about them. I'm not going to refuse someone a job because they have a tattoo. Within reason - no swastikas or offensive crap but most parlours won't do that in the first place.

Queen Elizabeth's father and grandfather had tattoos! Got them during their time in the navy.

• Advertisement

If you really loved your fiancé you'd get a matching tattoo with her name on it, instead of being an oddball that has no tats.

Hahaha... Oddball with no "tats" :-). Are you 5 ? I don't have any track suits either.... and I'm old enough to know better than to get anyone's name permanently printed on me thanks.

When you're older, you'll understand. Or maybe not.

A person who loves tattoos claiming that a permanent body mark she used to love is now "well out of fashion" only a handful of years later sums it up perfectly for me, yes. Thank you.

I know a person who loves dogs, has a big black lab but also abuses alcohol, drinks and drives and hits her kids. That gives me an opinion on all dog owners. :)

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I know a person who loves dogs, has a big black lab but also abuses alcohol, drinks and drives and hits her kids. That gives me an opinion on all dog owners. :)

Great.

Advertisement