Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for wifi in garden

Options
  • 30-06-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

I am converting my shed into a home office. It's about 100ft away from the house, 125ft away from my UPC Horizon box which is what I use for wifi. While I'm aware of the terrible wifi signal with the Horizon box, it hasn't been an issue up to now - despite the internal walls in the house being concrete, it's a tiny house...

I very much doubt the Horizon box will be able to deliver meaningful wifi signal through concrete walls to a shed 125ft away. I need reliable, relatively fast wifi so I can use a softphone through the computer and also proxy access into my work servers.

I will be running electrical cable to the shed and was wondering if I should run some type of internet cable while I'm at it? If so, what cabling should I specify? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Run some CAT6 cable to the shed and then fit an access point in there if you need wifi around the shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

you shouldn't link two buildings together using ethernet cable due to undesirable effects from different grounding.

Two nano stations or fibre are whats required here. I've used both solutions and they work well (wireless 500m, fibre 50m).

Advertisement