Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about LAN speed

Options
  • 03-06-2015 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I've read that an ethernet network will run only as fast as it slowest attached device. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that I have a 100mb printer on a gigabit LAN with 1Gb PCs showing gigabit connection speeds.

Edit: ...it's an unmanaged switch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

eman66 wrote: »
    I've read that an ethernet network will run only as fast as it slowest attached device. Is this correct? The reason I ask is that I have a 100mb printer on a gigabit LAN with 1Gb PCs showing gigabit connection speeds.

Edit: ...it's an unmanaged switch.

You'll be fine, the printer will run at 100mbit, everything else will be gigabit. It only matters if it's the uplink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

eman66 wrote: »
    I've read that an ethernet network will run only as fast as it slowest attached device. Is this correct?

No.

Advertisement