Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Imelda May Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Last week's show is repeated on Saturday at 11.15pm

Then on Sunday at 9.30pm it's a new episode with The Strypes, Sinead O'Connor, Paul Brady and Hozier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Very embarrassing interview with Sinead O'Connor. Started with Imelda mistaking Sinead's facial tattoos for lipstick and trying to rub it off ! ... and then got worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Hozier has an incredible voice..... he is doing a special on the Ray Darcy show on Tuesday too so could be worth a listen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

These fellas look like they've got school in the morning.

Disappointing that we didn't get a 'Take Me To Church' mash up duet from Hozier and Sinead O'Connor earlier. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Skid X wrote: »
    Disappointing that we didn't get a 'Take Me To Church' mash up duet from Hozier and Sinead O'Connor earlier. Ah well.

My ears drooled at the thought of that Skid.:)

I missed the first half of the show, was glued to our girl on bbc1, must catch first half on plus1 in a bit

Hozier doesn't sound what I would have expected, it's the Nidge Syndrome again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭turbostan

Yer wan over Hozier's right shoulder is easy on the eye;-)

Snap skid, I'm surprised at how he looks too. But he is just so talented .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Paul Brady sounded great!

• Advertisement

Whenever I hear Hozier being mentioned, I instinctively think of The Hoosiers :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I like Imelda May and she is a very talented singer but I'm afraid she simply does not know how to present a show. Cringe-worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Skid X wrote: »
    Hozier doesn't sound what I would have expected, it's the Nidge Syndrome again!

Sinead O'Connor looks like Nidge! For a moment, I thought Love/Hate had started 2 weeks earlier! The first song she did was very good as were Paul Brady and the Strypes. Hozier very good as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,709 ✭✭✭✭walshb

folamh wrote: »
    I like Imelda May and she is a very talented singer but I'm afraid she simply does not know how to present a show. Cringe-worthy.

I can't listen to her for long. It's uncomfortable viewing. I have tried.

Imelda doing her Grainne Mhaol impression again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Why the eyepatch back again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who in on tonight's final show?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who in on tonight's final show?

Paolo Nutini the headline act.

I've never got Damien Dempsey and I don't think I ever will. Must be a Dublin thing.

That was a bizarre bit of questioning earlier ...

"Speaking of suicide, I hear you've just turned 40" :confused:

• Advertisement

Just turned Imelda on, who is that guy singing now please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Lisha wrote: »
    Just turned Imelda on, who is that guy singing now please ?
    If it's the guy with mop of hair that's Paolo Nutini
    The guy earlier was Damien Dempsey

duridian wrote: »
    If it's the guy with mop of hair that's Paolo Nutini
    The guy earlier was Damien Dempsey

Thanks a mil duridian, I thought he looked totally different . I thought he'd be older, but he is pretty lush, I have to say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is this live? Little bit messy if it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

What's the Craic with the eye patch???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The second great mystery of Irish music (the first one being aul wan Country and Western) is the genre of Celtic Mysticism, and endorsed by Colm Meaney in Intermission.

There was some if it there a few mins ago.

Where does it come from? The stuff Enya and DeDanann or whatever they were called do. At least trad music is actually traditional. At what point in history was this stuff invented?

And who likes it?

And why?

amdublin wrote: »
    Is this live? Little bit messy if it's not

No, it was recorded a while back
    shivers27 wrote: »
    What's the Craic with the eye patch???

She had an eye infection

It's a wonder Elvis ever found time to make records, everyone with any vague connection to the entertainment industry who was in America while he was alive has anecdotes about meeting him.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    The second great mystery of Irish music (the first one being aul wan Country and Western) is the genre of Celtic Mysticism, and endorsed by Colm Meaney in Intermission.

There was some if it there a few mins ago.

Where does it come from? The stuff Enya and DeDanann or whatever they were called do. At least trad music is actually traditional. At what point in history was this stuff invented?

And who likes it?

And why?

I think you mean Clannad, not De Dannan?? Clannad has Enya's sister in it. Personally, I don't mind this genre of music. I am unsure where it originated from. Part of it comes from old medieval ballads from England as much as Ireland. Some takes in Irish trad and there's other influences there too.

De Dannan were a more straightforward folk and trad group.

I hate bad Irish country though (all them Mike Denvers!!). It is fake, insincere and un-needed. That Glor Tire on TNG has to be one of the worst programmes currently on? It parades around a dozen would be country music stars and each is voted off until 1 remains. The competitors usually get to sing 1 song and duet with someone like Denver. Most of the programme then turns to Denver and his ilk singing their awful boyfolk country and western drivel and promoting it dressed in awful hats and white suits. The fact that the show is a reality competition show and focuses on awful Irish country makes it a horrid affair.

But music is very subjective and is based on marketing and a lack of knowledge of alternative better music being available. Imelda's show has been a platform for this and has introduced better music to audiences. Her show is the antidote to all these Glor Tire and other competitions that seem to predominate.

• Advertisement

Oh, yeah Clannad is what I meant! Thanks.

Mad stuff, I think.

Glór Tíre is gas. Heh, Mike Denver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I hate bad Irish country though (all them Mike Denvers!!). It is fake, insincere and un-needed. That Glor Tire on TNG has to be one of the worst programmes currently on? It parades around a dozen would be country music stars and each is voted off until 1 remains. The competitors usually get to sing 1 song and duet with someone like Denver. Most of the programme then turns to Denver and his ilk singing their awful boyfolk country and western drivel and promoting it dressed in awful hats and white suits. The fact that the show is a reality competition show and focuses on awful Irish country makes it a horrid affair.
    Glór Tíre is gas. Heh, Mike Denver.

Well, Glór Tíre must be a very successful and important show for TG4, as it's been on since 2004. ;)

And here's Mr Denver's site - make of it what you will. ;)

http://www.themikedenverband.com/

Well, Glór Tíre must be a very successful and important show for TG4, as it's been on since 2004. ;)

I would not doubt Glor Tire being successful. I know people incl. some of my own family who can't get enough of it and that 'music'. Not only is it on since 2004 when there is a new series but it is on most of the rest of the time with repeats of old series too. Glor Tire Rogha agus Togha are something?

Before that, there was a show called Ceol Tire (2001-2003?) that was not a competition and mixed US with Irish country. It was largely better and even the Irish acts back then were better too!

I clicked onto that Denver website and was unfortunately reminded of Tommy K the DJ .. again !! I have heard this on the local radio and on Tubridy not to mention all them country/irish programmes the family watch. Denver is imo one of the worst and he is not meant to be even that nice a person. Daniel O'Donnell and Richie Kavanagh are the business: what you see is what you get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Just read the posts about her possibly only getting a show because Gaybo is a fan.
    That might be true, but great to see a working class, non- D4, non-RTE heir get a slot or a bit of promotion, (Louis Walsh's latest, Lottie Ryan, Tubbs, Twink's sprog etc.).
    The accent could quite easily be legit and coming from the same part of the city I know her friends and family wouldn't let her walk down the street without letting her have it if she was using a put on accent. Ironically, Gay is from about a ten minute walk from where she comes from....fake accent Gaybo! :)

Before that, there was a show called Ceol Tire (2001-2003?) that was not a competition and mixed US with Irish country. It was largely better and even the Irish acts back then were better too!

Ceol Tíre was, quite simply, a country music video show, made by Andy Ruane's Like It Love It Productions (which also makes the not-dissimilar Pop 4).

It ended as late as 2007 - its final host being Mairéad Ní Chuaig. ;);)

16ke645.jpg

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

There's Only One Mike Denver, indeed!

• Advertisement

:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

There's Only One Hundred Mike Denvers, indeed!

All in hats and singing yeah haw fake US accented boybandish irish country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

Possibly the most awkward interviewer ever. Everytime she starts interviewing someone I just wanna cry.
    When she starts talking it's like someone has started up a type writer and it's clacking away in a Dublin accent.
    Musically she is a one trick pony. The whole rockabilly thing is nothing new at all.

Take off the fecking eyepatch.

Possibly the most awkward interviewer ever. Everytime she starts interviewing someone I just wanna cry.
    When she starts talking it's like someone has started up a type writer and it's clacking away in a Dublin accent.
    Musically she is a one trick pony. The whole rockabilly thing is nothing new at all.

I have to say that's harsh. :o:o

I think she is good at the interviewing and her show has been very good overall. Bearing in mind she is not a TV presenter, she has mastered it far better than some of those at it all their lives.

With regard to her musical style, I would not consider Imelda as pure rockabilly. I know that Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley have gotten the same categorising but are not either. Rockabilly is probably more like Carl Perkins and very early Elvis but not what Elvis did later or any piano based rock 'n' roll.

Imelda does rockabilly but she also does swing and big band material, Billie Holiday styled blues/jazz and neo-trad ballads like Kentish Town. She is more than a one trick pony and she is very versatile and has her own style.

The Imelda May Show is coming back

This is on their Facebook page
    If you're a fan of great homegrown talent like Kodaline, Delorentos and The Coronas email us now and you could join Imelda May and guests in studio for the upcoming series of The Imelda May Show. *All audience members must be over 18.
    Email TheImeldaMayShow@rte.ie for details.
    ‪#‎TheImeldaMayShow‬

https://www.facebook.com/theimeldamayshow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,303 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The new series starts tomorrow night at 9.35pm on RTE One, with Kodaline, Hothouse Flowers, Fight Like Apes and The Lost Brothers.

*dusts off creeper shoes*

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,303 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

*adds more pomade to quiff*

*contacts Jools Holland's legal team*

:D

Why's Imelda's dress covered in skulls?

Jeepers, has rockabilly been replaced by death metal?

*adds more pomade to quiff*

*contacts Jools Holland's legal team*

:D

*Phone rings*

Heya? Is da Jools Hollands legal team? How d'yis make the crowd look like dey're enjoying demselves?

Acoustic guitars. God's way of making us appreciate electric guitars.

Despite my attempted smart arsed comment there, I really liked that last tune.

Despite my attempted smart arsed comment there, I really liked that last tune.

Pretty big of you to admit it Donie :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Jeff Bridges on keyboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Anyone watching Jools- I mean 'melda.
    Soak is decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

I think she is good at the interviewing and her show has been very good overall. Bearing in mind she is not a TV presenter, she has mastered it far better than some of those at it all their lives.

With regard to her musical style, I would not consider Imelda as pure rockabilly. I know that Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley have gotten the same categorising but are not either. Rockabilly is probably more like Carl Perkins and very early Elvis but not what Elvis did later or any piano based rock 'n' roll.

Imelda does rockabilly but she also does swing and big band material, Billie Holiday styled blues/jazz and neo-trad ballads like Kentish Town. She is more than a one trick pony and she is very versatile and has her own style.

Shes karaoke at best and her libbertieee accent is grating. She sounds like Mrs. Brown after 100 fags, a bottle of whiskey and a lash of gravel. Someone called it RTEs answer to Jools Holland recently. Jesus Christ.

• Advertisement
Advertisement