Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop disconnects all devices from modem

Options
  • 25-06-2015 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We have recently upgrade to Eircom efibre using the F2000 modem. All was working well until our new aupair arrived. Every time she connects to the modem with her laptop (her tablet and phone work fine) it causes all devices (including hers) to loose access to the internet - it works fine for a few minutes and then they all drop. As soon as she turns her wifi off, all other have access again - they don't disconnect from the modem, they just loose internet access.

It is a new Acer laptop on Windows 8 and worked fine before she got to us.

I have completed a virus check, released and renewed her IP address, set a static IP address on her laptop, flushed the DNS, compared all settings on her laptop with my own (which works fine provided her laptop is not switched on), rebooted everything and switched the hardware on one at a time, starting with the modem.

My assumption is it must be the connection between the laptop and the modem but I don't know what else to do to fix it. I would appreciate any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Check if the other devices, say your laptop, can ping the modem when hers causes the "outage".
    ping 192.168.1.254

If you can then its likely routing, if you can't then its likely the WLAN is being nuked. This could be a bad driver on her laptop, or a failing adapter. If its routing, it might be doing something silly with UPnP, the F2000 will tell you what UPnP sessions are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kella

when we loose connection, we can get a response when pinging the modem. The UPnP settings in the modem where disabled - should I enable them?

If it is a routing problem, how do I resolve that?

thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1. Make a bootable Ubuntu USB key
    2. Boot from it
    3. Connect to network

See if it drops the connection then. If it does its hardware. If it doesn't its something with windows. Full format might be simplest there.

Advertisement