Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asian Cooking Staples

Options
  • 30-03-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to cook more Asian food (Thai and Chinese mostly, I'm not an Indian fan) and I plan on going to an Asian supermarket to stock up on staples. It's a bit of a trek, so I want to make sure I have all the basics. I'm not looking for perishables, but more the key sauces, pastes and the like you should have in your cupboard. So far I have the following on my list:

Soy sauce
    Oyster Sauce
    Thai fish sauce
    Mirin
    Tamarind paste

What else would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Shaoxing wine
    Hoisin Sauce
    MSG
    Whole Star Anise
    Jasmin Rice
    Glutinous Rice
    Sesame seeds
    Shrimp paste

Japanse
    Pickled Ginger
    Udon Noodles
    Soba Noodles
    Bonito Flakes
    Kewpie Mayo
    Yuzu Juice
    Miso (Light and dark)
    Wasabi paste

The list is endless but these are a good start I think. I'm sure I forgot loads of staples though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Preserved black beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

rice noodles
    light soy sauce
    fresh ginger root (peel it and freeze it in 1-inch chunks)
    palm sugar
    rice wine vinegar
    chinese five spice powder

also get a couple of those nice chinese porcelain spoons, everything tastes better off them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Kecap manis
    Sriracha chilli sauce
    Chinchiang black vinegar
    Hoisin sauce
    Shrimp paste
    Toasted sesame oil
    Fish sauce - Thai or Vietnamese if you can get it
    Chilli paste - Lao Gan Ma
    Chilli bean paste
    Garlic and chilli bean paste

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

There are a lot more Asian cooking staples than I thought :o Keep them coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You might need a vote/poll or people to list in order of most important first.

Mine were mostly already mentioned,

soy sauce (pretty obvious)
    ginger & garlic puree, or both separate.
    hoisin sauce,
    sesame oil
    star anise,
    potato starch for thickening

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's a lot of cuisines, so there's lot of staples. But no cuisine uses the all.
    There's no point buying everything listed if you aren't going to use them. Find you initial recipes and get what you need, add to it as required.

FWIW, the staples I currently have are;
    Sticky Rice
    Coconut milk
    Curry paste
    palm sugar
    Shrimp paste
    Sriracha
    Kewpie/Japanese Mayo
    Pickled Ginger
    rice wine vinegar

• Registered Users Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Exactly what Mellor said. Pick 5 recipes that you actually want to cook and get what you need for them. Otherwise you'll spend a small fortune and never use half of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Laranian

Tea-a-Maria! I must tell you that you should also try Indian and pakistani food. It is one of the most popular and delious food, i ever tated. Indian and pakustabni food are my most favroite perosnlly, They have very different sort of dishes, and spices. I always love top eat to Indian and Pakistani resturants where i visit to any of a new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Chinese food:

Shaoxing rice wine
    Rice wine vinegar
    Chill bean paste
    Msg
    Oyster sauce
    Soy sauce (light and dark)
    5 spice
    Star anise
    Dried chilies
    Fermented black beans

That is pretty much all you will need!!

Maybe some of the premade and shaped dough if you want to make dumplings, really handy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Cakeboyee20

Try and stay away from MSG, heard bad things about this, but i suppose like anything, good things are usally bad for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Try and stay away from MSG, heard bad things about this, but i suppose like anything, good things are usally bad for you.

The claims around MSG have all been debunked. It's no more problematic than normal table salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

MSG is a naturally-ocurring amino acid in seaweed that is used as a flavour enhancer. There's nothing sinister or unhealthy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MSG goes under many different names, so if a place says "MSG free" it might well be free of the pure chemical version but might have something else which is essentially the same.

Its like cereal companies list ingredients like "malt extract, sugar, honey, maltose, glucose, glucose syrup, dextrose" -all forms of sugar.

Some Italian food is naturally high in MSG. I liked a study where they made MSG free Chinese food and many said they got "MSG symptoms" from it.

Also some treat it like its some brand new headshop sinister drug that should be outlawed -meanwhile their grannies have been using knorr aromat (loaded with MSG) for 50 years and they probably suffered no ill effects whenever eating her food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

http://luckypeach.com/the-mother-sauces-of-thailand/

David Chang's Lucky Peach have a short article on the Mother Sauces of Thailand.

Advertisement