Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWI soldier from Cork search

Options
  • 23-08-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am looking for records of Thomas Herlihy who was in ww1. He was born in Co. Cork according to war records. I want to know where I can find a record of where he enlisted.
    The British records say he enlisted in Devonport but I need to know where in Co. Cork he was born.

Cait

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Hi. Do you have anymore information on him. I have worldwide Ancestry membership and can check for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Do you know was he living in Ireland in 1911? If so, that is when the most recent census before WWI was carried out.

There are 29 Thomas Herlihy's in the 1911 census listed as born in Cork (31 in total living in the county). The ones that are too old and too young can be discounted, so your guy might be one of the remaining.

Folks on here are happy to help if you want to post more info about him that you know: e.g. year of birth, parents names, etc. Some of the other posters have experience with researching WW1 relatives too.

I can find his service record and that he died on 30 September 1916 in Turkey and is buried in Iraq in Baghdad war cemetery. Do u know what year he was born roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cait conlon

I can find his service record and that he died on 30 September 1916 in Turkey and is buried in Iraq in Baghdad war cemetery. Do u know what year he was born roughly?
    Thank you for information.
    I have already got that Thomas Herlihy from war records. My problem is I'm not sure its my uncle.
    He was born in Gortnatubrid, Ballyvourney on 14th September 1895.
    What Im looking for really is a record of enlistment and that will tell if its the right Thomas Herlihy.
    Very grateful for your help

Cait

Yes its a difficult one! I'm having the same problem with a ww1 soldier related to my Dad I can find the service record but can't work back to see if it my relation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have you got the birth cert yet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Could this be him? This guy didn't die but was discharged. It does not appear to be the same guy as what assassin saphir found.

EDIT : Not him as the address on the medal card doesn't match.

lW0wrk8.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

For the guy who died in Turkey in 1916 I found his medal card but unfortunately lists no address.

They may not be online but a newspaper from 1916 might have the answer. Could be time for a trip to the library !

ZLXAJKJ.jpg

Advertisement