Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on alarm system for House

Options
  • 26-01-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I live in detached house in small estate in Galway City and think i had someone try break into shed last year while i was away for nite but girlfriend woke up and turned on lights...found small knife on ground the following day..this xmas my neighbours house was broke into and they woke up to see him jump over the back wall into my back garden!Im starting to think that ive got two warnings at this stage so need to get myself an alarm system pronto! I know nothing about them though as never lived in a house with one...should i be looking into buying a kit that myself and my handyman electrician brother could put up or should i be considering getting a system set up by a security alarm installer??whats the best options for me? wired/wireless? Alarms/contacts/cameras??? I was thinkin that i need something that will sense someones movements and notify me of this and maybe give out a warning??i want a system that will deter them rather than a system which will onyl set an alarm of when they are already in hoiuse(too late then!)
    advised needed please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭kub

Well done at least you are doing some good ground work.

Firstly the typical DIY type alarms that are available in most DIY stores are crap. I note that you mentioned your brother is an electrician therefore probably a dab hand at cabling.
    Also as I am sure he is such a nice guy that he will not be doing it for financial gain therefore there is no worries with PSA.
    Obviously my first recommendation is to get quotations from professional installer's, at least 3, please ensure they are licensed.
    The system should comprise of shock sensors and contacts to all of your perimeter windows and doors. As it is a bungalow you should alos consider beams to your hallway and perhaps master bedroom. Full working bell box to front with l.e.d.s and decoy to the back.
    With that system as above, it can be switched on while in the house with the system on around you, as the beams should be in partguard mode.
    If your brother wants a go at it, then it's HKC 10/70, as this panel also does wireless then your shed could be alarmed as well, obviously the structure of it will determine what detection is suitable.

Ps forget about cameras for now, see how you feel after the alarm has been installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

kub wrote: »
    Well done at least you are doing some good ground work.

Firstly the typical DIY type alarms that are available in most DIY stores are crap. I note that you mentioned your brother is an electrician therefore probably a dab hand at cabling.
    Also as I am sure he is such a nice guy that he will not be doing it for financial gain therefore there is no worries with PSA.
    Obviously my first recommendation is to get quotations from professional installer's, at least 3, please ensure they are licensed.
    The system should comprise of shock sensors and contacts to all of your perimeter windows and doors. As it is a bungalow you should alos consider beams to your hallway and perhaps master bedroom. Full working bell box to front with l.e.d.s and decoy to the back.
    With that system as above, it can be switched on while in the house with the system on around you, as the beams should be in partguard mode.
    If your brother wants a go at it, then it's HKC 10/70, as this panel also does wireless then your shed could be alarmed as well, obviously the structure of it will determine what detection is suitable.

Ps forget about cameras for now, see how you feel after the alarm has been installed.

Its a two story house, my biggest worry is the rear of the house...sliding door and two big pvc windows...so that hkc system could be wired or wireless? where could i purchase one of them for good price?

p.s does the contact system really stop lads from tryin to open pvc windows..someone told me they just take out the strips holding the window and lift the window out in that case!??? the contact wont be broken then!???that could be just crap talk...i dont know...:o ...i do know the criminals are alot smarter than they used to be!?

LillySV wrote: »
    Its a two story house, my biggest worry is the rear of the house...sliding door and two big pvc windows...so that hkc system could be wired or wireless? where could i purchase one of them for good price?

p.s does the contact system really stop lads from tryin to open pvc windows..someone told me they just take out the strips holding the window and lift the window out in that case!??? the contact wont be broken then!???that could be just crap talk...i dont know...:o ...i do know the criminals are alot smarter than they used to be!?

Sorry me bad I thought I read bungalow somewhere. You did mention contact system, it is more than that, there is also inertia shock sensors.
    You are correct regarding panes of glass being removed from PVC windows, this can only occur where the beading strip which retains the glass is fitted on the outside of the windows. Thankfully nowadays it is rear, that of course does not mean that yours are or are not.
    Indeed though you have a valid point, therefore back up by beams is vital.
    In general in my own experience burglar's that break into ordinary domestic dwelling's are not exactly gifted in the brain department.
    Indeed that system can be wireless or wired, have a look at the sticky's at the top of this page and you will see lots of suppliers.

Sorry me bad I thought I read bungalow somewhere. You did mention contact system, it is more than that, there is also inertia shock sensors.
    You are correct regarding panes of glass being removed from PVC windows, this can only occur where the beading strip which retains the glass is fitted on the outside of the windows. Thankfully nowadays it is rear, that of course does not mean that yours are or are not.
    Indeed though you have a valid point, therefore back up by beams is vital.
    In general in my own experience burglar's that break into ordinary domestic dwelling's are not exactly gifted in the brain department.
    Indeed that system can be wireless or wired, have a look at the sticky's at the top of this page and you will see lots of suppliers.

i think my beading strip is outside! :confused::(

LillySV wrote: »
    i think my beading strip is outside! :confused::(

If that is the case then the glass can be siliconed or glued into position with the strips removed. Any handy man should be able to do it.

• Advertisement

If that is the case then the glass can be siliconed or glued into position with the strips removed. Any handy man should be able to do it.

Thanks

Advertisement