Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do i have recourse

Options
  • 05-11-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Bought a expensive laptop bag last march with my laser card and kept receipt. The bag ripped under the main handle. Went back to the store and they told me that never have sold that brand of Bag ?!

Do i have any recourse?! the receipt shows the transaction but does not specify the actual product?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes, its not your fault the receipt isnt detailed, what does the receipt say?

Bag: €0.00

or just sale etc?

REally all you can do is insist they acknowledge the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You have provided proof of purchase - and it's not your fault that the receipt doesn't specify the product. The shop is obliged to deal with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

but what if the OP was either lying or thought they had bought it there but actually bought it somewhere else?

ive had people come into my shop with something I dont sell (and have never sold) saying they wanted to return it. In some cases it's a genuine case of them thinking they bought it in my shop but in other cases its clearly someone chancing their arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Proof of purchase is a misleading term. A receipt along with a myriad of other bits and bobs is evidence of purchase. All comes down to the person on the day in Small Claims Court ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Darith

How do i oblige them to help me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Darith wrote: »
    How do i oblige them to help me?
    With great difficulty.

You say you bought the bag there, and you have proof that you bought something at about the appropriate price level for that type of bag. They, I presume, acknowledge that you bought something there, but insist that it could not have been that bag, as they never sold such bags.

You probably can not prove that they sold that brand.

If you go to the Small Claims Court, you will first have to convince the judge that you bought the bag there when the shop claims that it could not have happened. The outcome of such a case is uncertain.

The alternative strategy is attrition: keep going back to the shop and making your complaint. Do it firmly, politely, and persistently. Do it in the presence of other customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Retailer wrote: »
    but what if the OP was either lying or thought they had bought it there but actually bought it somewhere else?

ive had people come into my shop with something I dont sell (and have never sold) saying they wanted to return it. In some cases it's a genuine case of them thinking they bought it in my shop but in other cases its clearly someone chancing their arm.

I should add that my advice is given on the basis that the OP did indeed purchase the bag in that shop.

I can understand how a customer could get confused over where they purchased a product. It's also possible that the customer dealt with a sales agent who wasn't aware of goods sold in the past in the shop.

OP - if you're absolutely sure that you purchased the bag in that shop, you can try to push politely.

Advertisement