Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity - Illegally Changing people over ?

Options
  • 01-11-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi

I have had the same tenants (family) in my apartment for 3 years.
    The gas is with Bord Gáis(and always has been) and it is in their name.
    The Electricity is in my name and is with Airtricity.

Note: The Bord Gas bill was paperless so this issue did not become apparent immediately.

Anyway my tenants started getting letters from Airtricity telling them that money was owed for Gas (even though they are not with Airtricity for Gas), then threatening to cut them off. It should be pointed out that the letters are to the 'homeowner' and not their actual names.

They never authorized Airtricity to switch them over from Bord Gas to Airtricity. Also they had been in credit (€200) with Bord Gas.

As the Electricity account is in my name I have been ringing up for nearly 4 months now trying to get this issue resolved. I requested them to produce the contract and details of who had signed it to give them authorization to switch the account from Bord Gas to Airtricity. It took a week of follow up calls, being told that they couldn't locate it etc etc. And eventually to be told that they had mistakenly switched the account over. How is that even possible ?

I informed them that the tenants would not be paying any amounts owed and that they should switch the account back immediately.
    I was told that they were unable to switch back so we had to contact Bord Gas and get them to do this. We did this and that was fine.

However my tenants (letters not actually addressed to them - 'the homeowner') are now receiving letters threatening court action. I have rung Airtricity on their behalf 3-5 times a day for the past 3 weeks. The Customer Support team have promised me a response and a resolution and still nothing.

Is their any obligation on our part in relation to this ?

I have assured my tenants that their name is not on those letters so they need not be worried. However I am fearful now that they will move out as they are afraid of their credit rating being affected.

Anyone else experience this, any advice ?

I am furious that they would switch the account without authorization and cause all this hassle.

What are my choices ? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thing to remember here is if the tenants used electricity and its not BG charging them for it do you expect them to have gotten free electric from Airtricity? They still got a service after all.

Also if bills/account are in your name then it won't affect them in relation to the credit rating,

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bud_info

Thanks for the reply Cabaal...

Cabaal wrote: »
    Thing to remember here is if the tenants used electricity and its not BG charging them for it do you expect them to have gotten free electric from Airtricity? They still got a service after all.

It was an unsolicited (Gas)service from Airtricity and as far I am concerned illegal.
    Also if bills/account are in your name then it won't affect them in relation to the credit rating,

The Airtricity (Electricity) is in my name and is paid and up to date.
    The gas account though is back with Bord Gáis now. The letters they are sending are not in any ones actual name. Because there is no contract with Airtricity.

If that makes sense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bud_info wrote: »
    It was an unsolicited (Gas)service from Airtricity and as far I am concerned illegal.

Then you'll need to come to an agreement with Airtricity regarding this aspect of the complaint

The Airtricity (Electricity) is in my name and is paid and up to date.
    The gas account though is back with Bord Gáis now. The letters they are sending are not in any ones actual name. Because there is no contract with Airtricity.

If that makes sense.

Ok well if they are not in the tenants name then their credit ratings can't be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Then you'll need to come to an agreement with Airtricity regarding this aspect of the complaint...
    Neither OP nor the tenants had any agreement with Airtricity for gas supply. I don't see why they should engage with Airtricity.

There was, so far as the tenants are concerned, a continuous agreement with Bord Gais for the supply of gas. It's for Airtricity to sort matters out with Bord Gais in the background without bothering OP's tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Suggest they either stop hassling your tenants, or you'll be contacting the regulator about an unauthorised port of the account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Ok well if they are not in the tenants name then their credit ratings can't be affected
    Airtricity is not a financial institution/lender or local authority so their credit rating won't be affected anyway unless a court judgement is made against them.
    http://www.icb.ie/membership.php

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tommy_boy

Hi there, I read your post below and thought "OMG did I write this?!" Had a very similar incident happen to be last year, in the middle of a storm.
    I am in Clontarf, and I think there was a clear breakdown in understandig how the houses were numbered, but ultimately there was an unauthorized port of my account from one supplier to the other. HAd the credit issue as well!

These two in particular really need to get their act together on it.
    Bud_info wrote: »
    Hi

I have had the same tenants (family) in my apartment for 3 years.
    The gas is with Bord Gáis(and always has been) and it is in their name.
    The Electricity is in my name and is with Airtricity.

Note: The Bord Gas bill was paperless so this issue did not become apparent immediately.

Anyway my tenants started getting letters from Airtricity telling them that money was owed for Gas (even though they are not with Airtricity for Gas), then threatening to cut them off. It should be pointed out that the letters are to the 'homeowner' and not their actual names.

They never authorized Airtricity to switch them over from Bord Gas to Airtricity. Also they had been in credit (€200) with Bord Gas.

As the Electricity account is in my name I have been ringing up for nearly 4 months now trying to get this issue resolved. I requested them to produce the contract and details of who had signed it to give them authorization to switch the account from Bord Gas to Airtricity. It took a week of follow up calls, being told that they couldn't locate it etc etc. And eventually to be told that they had mistakenly switched the account over. How is that even possible ?

I informed them that the tenants would not be paying any amounts owed and that they should switch the account back immediately.
    I was told that they were unable to switch back so we had to contact Bord Gas and get them to do this. We did this and that was fine.

However my tenants (letters not actually addressed to them - 'the homeowner') are now receiving letters threatening court action. I have rung Airtricity on their behalf 3-5 times a day for the past 3 weeks. The Customer Support team have promised me a response and a resolution and still nothing.

Is their any obligation on our part in relation to this ?

I have assured my tenants that their name is not on those letters so they need not be worried. However I am fearful now that they will move out as they are afraid of their credit rating being affected.

Anyone else experience this, any advice ?

I am furious that they would switch the account without authorization and cause all this hassle.

What are my choices ? Thanks.

Advertisement