Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

the_monkey wrote: »
    btw slightly of topic, but what episode of Mad Men did he take his kid to see Planet of the Apes ?

Season 6, episode 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I liked it, pretty solid 7/10.
    As Saipanne said clichéd in places. Wouldn't really be interested in seeing another one though I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Saw this last Thursday. Thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it. A sequel to the first one in the way Aliens is a sequel to Alien - i.e. very different tone while linking the two beautifully. Dawn is a much more action packed, apocalyptic movie compared to the more "origins" feel of Rise.

I don't even know where to begin praising this movie. From the opening hunt, to the moment we first meet the humans, to the battle (seriously like
    machine gun totting, horse riding apes jumping through fire
    , surreal doesn't even begin to cover that scene) all the way to the final showdown, it was just a gripping epic of a movie. Loved it.

The effects in this are astounding to the point where you forget that you are looking at CGI apes. Caesar & Koba were the obvious highlights. Koba was such a great character. I loved how his arc started back in Rise and continued on it's dark trajectory through Dawn. It's great when you have a villain that you can empathise with.... 'human work'... fantastic villain. Caesar too was great as the powerful, wise leader. It was actually quite touching seeing him back
    in his home from Rise

The story two was a perfect follow up to Rise. While not an immediate sequel, it links perfectly with Rise and the passage of time allows for the events to take place in a very different world. It'll be very interesting to see where they go with it for the next one now that
    Caesar is all but forced into war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I liked this, much better than i anticipated as i was not impressed by the trailer. Good story and good action throughout. The apes are very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Brilliant show. I loved the first one, and this one continued my love for it. The highlight of the whole movie is the CG of the Apes. This film really shows how far technology has come in terms of CG. I don't think i saw one scene where the apes looked fake. I really am astounded by the perfect level of craftsmanship the artists.

I was thoroughly engaged throughout the whole film. Even when
    the apes attack the city
    and i initially thought that it was a bit unbelievable (in terms of the film), i quickly reminded myself that this is natural progression for the apes, and i was immediately drawn back in.

Also, did everyone wait for the end credits (or at least Google it)?
    Koba lives!

I wonder what adjective will be used in the next film!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Brilliant show. I loved the first one, and this one continued my love for it. The highlight of the whole movie is the CG of the Apes. This film really shows how far technology has come in terms of CG. I don't think i saw one scene where the apes looked fake. I really am astounded by the perfect level of craftsmanship the artists.

I was thoroughly engaged throughout the whole film. Even when
    the apes attack the city
    and i initially thought that it was a bit unbelievable (in terms of the film), i quickly reminded myself that this is natural progression for the apes, and i was immediately drawn back in.

Also, did everyone wait for the end credits (or at least Google it)?
    Koba lives!

I wonder what adjective will be used in the next film!

source ? i tried googling it and found nothing

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Solid enjoyable fare. However, it shows again that there are no good ape roles for women in Hollywood.

Felicity had very little to say and, at no point, did I learn her name or Gary Oldman's or Caesar's wife's.

However, the point at which
    Koba rode a horse through fire while wielding two machine guns
    got to me. Was quite happy in ape universe and then I thought "I'm out". Last third of the movie was very standard action set pieces.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

the_monkey wrote: »
    I have to say I was a little dissapointed, I loved the 2011 one, maybe because I expected nothing and got an excellent reboot - I loved the little nods to the original story - like the "Lost in Space" newspaper headline - brilliant ..

The problem is I listened to the media too much for this one and got into the hype and was expecting a better movie - gets higher mark on imdb etc ..

Some of the dialogue aswell was really bad - especially between Caeser and Koba - "Ceasar weak , Koba weaker" :rolleyes: .... like 2 kids ... cringeworthy.

Still a good film though and a lot better then most of the tripe Hollywood producing.

I wonder where the story goes from here - is there a point doing another one in this timeline ? may as well FF 300 years and have the Astronauts back on Earth - maybe a cool ending with the Statue of Liberty buried in a beach .. :P

You single out the dialogue between two talking apes as something that annoyed you.

The dialogue between two talking apes.

Lollers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Solid enjoyable fare. However, it shows again that there are no good ape roles for women in Hollywood.

Felicity had very little to say and, at no point, did I learn her name or Gary Oldman's or Caesar's wife's.

However, the point at which
    Koba rode a horse through fire while wielding two machine guns
    got to me. Was quite happy in ape universe and then I thought "I'm out". Last third of the movie was very standard action set pieces.
    I could have done without that scene but it wasn't enough to tarnish the movie in any way for me.

It was closely followed by the
    Koba and the tank scene/shot
    which might be my favourite scene/shot of the year.

Come to think of it, there are a few simple yet beautifully framed shots that will stick in my mind for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

The only real low point for me was the CGI baby ape, more so the actress trying to react to something that obviously wasn't there and not doing a very convincing job. Yeah, that baby looked terrible though, a CGI lowpoint.

Why didn't they just use a real ape for that scene?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The only real low point for me was the CGI baby ape, more so the actress trying to react to something that obviously wasn't there and not doing a very convincing job. Yeah, that baby looked terrible though, a CGI lowpoint.

Why didn't they just use a real ape for that scene?

Cos it'd stand out a mile against the CGI ones I guess.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »

Not to mention it would be nigh on impossible to get it to act.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not to mention it would be nigh on impossible to get it to act.

No acting required, the actress would only have to improvise around what the baby does.

Yeah, maybe that's it.

No acting required, the actress would only have to improvise around what the baby does.

I thought he was referring to the actress...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Absolute snoozefest... I couldn't care less about ooh'ing and ahh'ing at CGI... give me a storyline somewhere... anywhere, please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

There was a storyline so much so it carried over from the 1st one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I just realised it's this and only this set of apes living in the Californian Redwoods that are intelligent and their descendants
    I feel that something bigger will happen in the future that enables the intelligent apes to spread out while humanity continues to fall apart

Also seriously guys if you replaced the humans for storm troopers in that setting you would have an amazing rendition of the Battle for Endor, of how it should have gone down.

Reeves has some of the direction I have seen in a mainstream movie in years, every shot was evocative. Beautiful and heartwarming and rare use of a natural setting. Edge of Tomorrow and this are matched.
    It was heart warming and
    then you were were just waiting the foot to drop.
    I was ****ing terrified when they Koba shot Caesar (who wasn't dead unfortunately, and would have amazing that shot of him falling was the last), burned their home to the ground, and had the worst sinking feeling when they tore into the city and caged the humans and thought so this is how it happens. I remember thinking oh my god there going to do it and go dark, dark, dark.

I thought it was going to end on the biggest, bravest downer ever, something like Terminator 3, I'm sort of glad it didn't though that was what I wanted, because I cared about this group of humans, I'd hate to see them go mute or feral ala Threads

Loved how the opening used the same visuals from the credits of the last one, but coloured differently, spinning 360 degrees around the globe and then right back to San Francisco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Adamantium wrote: »
    I just realised it's this and only this set of apes living in the Californian Redwoods that are intelligent and their descendants
    I feel that something bigger will happen in the future that enables the intelligent apes to spread out while humanity continues to fall apart

Also seriously guys if you replaced the humans for storm troopers in that setting you would have an amazing rendition of the Battle for Endor, of how it should have gone down.

Reeves has some of the direction I have seen in a mainstream movie in years, every shot was evocative. Beautiful and heartwarming and rare use of a natural setting. Edge of Tomorrow and this are matched.
    It was heart warming and
    then you were were just waiting the foot to drop.
    I was ****ing terrified when they Koba shot Caesar (who wasn't dead unfortunately, and would have amazing that shot of him falling was the last), burned their home to the ground, and had the worst sinking feeling when they tore into the city and caged the humans and thought so this is how it happens. I remember thinking oh my god there going to do it and go dark, dark, dark.

I thought it was going to end on the biggest, bravest downer ever, something like Terminator 3, I'm sort of glad it didn't though that was what I wanted, because I cared about this group of humans, I'd hate to see them go mute or feral ala Threads

Loved how the opening used the same visuals from the credits of the last one, but coloured differently, spinning 360 degrees around the globe and then right back to San Francisco.

Evolution?

Evolution?

RG0BS1U.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Adamantium wrote: »
    I just realised it's this and only this set of apes living in the Californian Redwoods that are intelligent and their descendants.

The virus would have spread to other apes through contact with infected humans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Saw this last night, loved it, really fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

ricero wrote: »
    source ? i tried googling it and found nothing

That's the speculation, the monkey you can hear breathing at the end is Koba, barely alive after the fall. Plus, it's Hollywood, they love revenge plots!

Also, link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭8mv

Went to see this over the weekend. Loved it, but it's a different animal to it's predecessor (pun intended). For me it didn't carry the emotional charge of "Rise" but was a bigger, more exciting movie, at least at first viewing. The scene early on where
    Caesar is protecting his son from the bear and calling out for Koba's help
    has stayed with me, but I found the rest of the movie was a big, noisy blockbuster, albeit one of the best I've seen. I look forward to getting the DVD around Christmas, I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

That's the speculation, the monkey you can hear breathing at the end is Koba, barely alive after the fall. Plus, it's Hollywood, they love revenge plots!

Also, link.

Hope he doesn't suffer amnesia or something. Another classic Hollywood trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I was blown away to be honest, Serkis was as good as ever but Kebell knocked me for seven. I first saw him in RocknRolla where, along with Tom Hardy, he was a highlight.

But to be able to match Serkis in something that is 2nd nature to him at this stage really tells you a lot about how much of a talent he is. Fox clearly rate the guy too between this and the forthcoming FF film.

Clarke also impressed me, I have to take back what I said elsewhere and concede that he will be a very good John Connor.

Clarke also impressed me, I have to take back what I said elsewhere and concede that he will be a very good John Connor.

The scene where he goes back in his raincoat
    to the woods and is dragged through the dirt and thrown in front of Caesar
    , those eyes of his are piercing, you could see the fear in his. Great prescence. He'll knock military and civilian John Connor out of the park. He looks tough as nails, but there is a humanity to it. Reminds me of Kurt Russell in more than his looks.

Also reminds me of Kyle Chandler as well. Who would have been a great John Connor too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

saw this last night but did not have any subtitles for any scenes where the apes are talking!

still enjoyed it and could follow what was happening which I think is a credit to the filmmakers although some people left halfway as they were fed up but I don't think they followed the franchise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

saw this last night but did not have any subtitles for any scenes where the apes are talking!

still enjoyed it and could follow what was happening which I think is a credit to the filmmakers although some people left halfway as they were fed up but I don't think they followed the franchise!

Why didn't you say it to someone in the cinema? was probably being projected wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Why didn't you say it to someone in the cinema? was probably being projected wrong

I watched it abroad so the subtitles were in a foreign language!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Do you need to have seen Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes to understand this film?

Is it better than the latter?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Do you need to have seen Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes to understand this film?

No but it certainly makes it better if you have seen it as you get to see how Caesar becomes the ape he is. The only characters that are in both films are apes.

I think it's better than Rise but Rise is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

IvaBigWun wrote: »

No its not necessary but why would you watch the second film before the first? Both films are great but for different reasons, but like all stories they should be digested in the right order.

I recommend watching the first one first. As said, the apes from the first one are in the sequel and it is a continuation of their story and characters. Watching Dawn without having seen Rise would be like watching Empire Strikes Back without seeing A New Hope - you'll be able to follow what's going on but you're missing some of the back story and origins that makes the sequel more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Dub_Steve

I've seen the first part, thought it was really good. Taking forever for the second part to come out on dvd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Dub_Steve wrote: »
    I've seen the first part, thought it was really good. Taking forever for the second part to come out on dvd

It was only out in cinemas mid July? some places were still showing it up until recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Yeah it had a great run in the cinema , i seen it at the end of august and the local place still had it on 3 times a day. One of the better performers this year for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Cineworld has it on their take 2 on the 13th November as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Decent second installment but preferred the first.

Advertisement