Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawless (2012)

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Saw this yesterday thought it was fantastic. Performances, I thought, were great all around, particularly Hardy, who I thought was hilarious at certain parts, and Guy Pearce, been a while since I've really hated a character in a film but he portrayed the bastardry quite well

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

Harmless enough film. Had the potential to be great but petered out to nothing more than an enjoyable yet forgettable movie.

The whole cast is solid with Oldman underused.

Can anyone tell me
    if the guy who was tarred and feathered was still alive when brought outside Tom Hardys home
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

whatislife wrote: »
    Harmless enough film. Had the potential to be great but petered out to nothing more than an enjoyable yet forgettable movie.

The whole cast is solid with Oldman underused.

Can anyone tell me
    if the guy who was tarred and feathered was still alive when brought outside Tom Hardys home
    ?
    I think so, he groans and moves his head as far as I remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭whatislife

BabyBirch wrote: »
    I think so, he groans and moves his head as far as I remember?
    Thanks, I thought that.

I also struggled to understand most of the characters and it's becoming a bit of a theme with Tom Hardy!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

I agree with a lot of people in this thread. Enjoyable enough but underwhelming. Hardy was very good and Chastain looked incredible. I wouldn't watch it again. I found it quite strange how irrelevant Gary Oldman was in it and Guy Pearce was way wayyyyyyy over the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Have to agree with most here, good film, had the potential to be great but it felt to me like chunks of the story were cut to fit it into the desired running time, so the pacing was a bit off..Oldman was most definitely underused and some of the characters seemed to be slightly underdeveloped, particularly Howard.

I found the accents difficult to understand in the beginning until i got into the swing of it. Some parts it just sounded like mumbling which would have been okay only the music seemed to be louder than the dialogue.

Overall it was a great cast, with Tom Hardy and Guy Pearce stealing the show for me. The soundtrack was great too.
    Could scoop a few oscar nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Went to see this last night. Was hoping for great things as I adored The Proposition (same director/same screenplay writer/same Guy Pearce/same brothers theme) and I was not disappointed. Loved it.

LeBouf was perfect for the role he played. Gave a really likeable innocent performance. Guy Pearce is one creepy son of a bitch!
    That scene with the black girl in the bedroom - wtf was he doing to her? And those gloves!
    Tom Hardy was amazing and had me in stitches throughout.

Highly recommended and I will definitely watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

livinsane wrote: »
    That scene with the black girl in the bedroom - wtf was he doing to her? And those gloves!

The birds and the bees ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Thought this film was a classic example of how a bad third act can completely ruin an otherwise good film. The ending just made it so unmemorable..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pault593

I have heard a lot about this movie. Should be a good film . Looking forward to seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Gandalph wrote: »
    The birds and the bees ;)

I think it was more sinister than just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

livinsane wrote: »
    I think it was more sinister than just that.
    He had a needle in his hand, and a few bottles of 'stuff', so I think you may be right !

I'd agree with the general sentiments so far, a great cast and a solid enough movie, but maybe not quite the great film it could have been.

Also the usage of Oldman was strange.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Big Ears wrote: »
    He had a needle in his hand, and a few bottles of 'stuff', so I think you may be right !

I'd agree with the general sentiments so far, a great cast and a solid enough movie, but maybe not quite the great film it could have been.

Also the usage of Oldman was strange.

I actually thought they might have been better off giving Pearce's role to Oldman and have Pearce in the smaller role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    and Chastain looked incredible

Stunning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very disappointing considering the talent involved. Chastain is wasted, as is Oldman. Hardy has a few good moments but that's about it. I could have really done without all the "true story" crap at the end. I'm so sick of screenwriters using this as a crutch. Make a great movie, to hell with the real events. Surprisingly uninspired work from Cave and Hillcoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭FrogMarch

Reasonably good movie. I found the pacing to be quite poorly considered though, particularly in the second half. There seemed to be so many irrelevancies and it kind of lost my interest in places. Also, as others have said, Oldman was basically a cameo which really disappointed me.

However, there were plenty of positives - good performances all around, even from Shia LaBoef. The violent scenes were pretty violent, which is always good in this kind of flick :D Very well shot, great score, seemed quite authentic.

It's a 6.5/10 from me. Would definitely recommend seeing it but, dare I say, not essential viewing while it's on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

FrogMarch wrote: »
    It's a 6.5/10 from me. Would definitely recommend seeing it but, dare I say, not essential viewing while it's on the big screen.

I'd be of the same opinion, wait for it on TV. Decent show but not worth going out of your way to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Posted in wrong thread. Mod - please delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Passing person

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Just back now.
    Just on the Gary oldman thing,is it me or was some of his story cut?
    Like in the trailer there shia asks him does he want any more and he replies "as much as you can bring me"
    but I don't remember seeing this dialogue in the film,or did I miss it?

no - he did not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Passing person

I looked at this soundtrack listing: http://pitchfork.com/news/47281-nick-cave-warren-ellis-lawless-music-features-mark-lanegan-emmylou-harris-ralph-stanley-more/ I don't see the two 'hymns' / 'psalms' sung in the church. Would they be on youtube or similar? Thanks in anticipation.

• Advertisement

An unmarked Blu-RY arrived for me in the mail today and I was quite surprised when I put it in my player and was greeted by the menu for Lawless.

Having missed it in the cinema I was really looking forward to watching it but like a number of films this year it disappointed. The film is the very definition of averag. Performances were good though Chastain and Oldman were completely wasted in their small insignificant roles and Pearce'd while enjoyable to watch was very poorly written. I half expected him to show up with a thin moustache and begin twirling it while laughing maniacally, really was like something out of a Looney Toons episode.

Cave's script was very disappointing, the story was basic and as the end credits roll you realise that nothing really happened over the past two hours. The boys rise to the top should have been pivotal to the overall telling of the story but it was told on a brief montage that added absolutely nothing of any real note. The relationship between the brothers was similarly underdeveloped and there was an almost disjointed feel to scenes as multiple scenes has been cut in order to get the run time under 2 hours. The biggest problem is the ending. It lacks any sense of originality it wit and the less said about the terrible final scene the better.

Really wasn't a fan of the cinematography, yes it looked great at times and done of the establishing shots were excellent the whole thing just looked to digital. It was far too clean looking and the green scene shots really stood out.

Lawless isn't a terrible film its just a bit dull and uninspired. There's nothing there we haven't seen a dozen times before and there's an overall feeling of "meh" to the while thing. There's a great story there but sadly Lawless isnt the film to tell it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

I had high hopes for this but it really disappointed.
    Most of the gripes have been aired already but my biggest one was understanding the dialogue with that thick southern drawl.
    Jeff Bridges laid it on thick in True Grit but at least you could make out what he was saying.
    2.5/5 & the .5 was for Hardy's performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I enjoyed it. For some reason I expected something worse. Shia wasn't as insipid as I would have thought. Pure paycheck role for Gary Oldman though.

Felt kind of rushed though. Not sure why it seemed that way. Hated the Amish subplot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Finally got round to seeing this. Disappointed to say I found it a tad dull. Despite a two-hour running length, I never felt we got to know the characters. Much of the dialogue was so mumbled it was borderline incomprehensible (particularly from Tom Hardy) and Nick Cave's screenplay skirted close to cliché on more than one occasion (in one scene, Hardy asks Jessica Chastain 'What's a girl like you... want here?'. It must've taken all of Cave's willpower not to write 'What's a girl like you doing in a place like this?').

It wasn't terrible or anything. Visually, it was solid. But after so many Prohibition-era gangster films (Road to Perdition, Miller's Crossing, The Untouchables, Once Upon a Time in America, not to mention the Jimmy Cagney films of old) it felt entirely predictable. Shia LaBeouf's wooing of Mia Wasikowska was also stilted and unconvincing (they knew nothing about each other, much like the audience did about them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Awful film, made worse by LaBoeuf.

Advertisement