Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Sadly no evidence that OP ever read his answer though.

I'm happy just to see people trying to make the world (even if only via perceptions) a better place.

Whether or they actually succeed doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Simon linked this in the chat, and I think it's one of the best Melee related reads:

http://np.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1hyqyk/nintendo_tells_organizers_they_cant_stream/cazeyxg

Standard question of "Why don't smash players play proper fighters?" with probably the most comprehensive and well written answer I've ever seen.

See, I don't think that answer was that good. It was a wall of text, where his reasons for disliking "standard" fighters was; I don't like combos, rock/paper/scissors gameplay is lame, and muh freedom of doing whatever I want. Everything was fluff on himself or on how technical melee is. Between the lines, though, is this whole "excessively high amount of time spent on an extremely narrow point of focus of developing skills" subtext.
    The reason that Melee players don't translate over, so far as I can see, is that skills gained in playing Smash to a high level don't translate over to other fighters in the same way that, say, KoF skills translate to SF (footsies, correct AA option judgement, correct method of approaching opponent/matchup archtype). I'm not saying that the skills aren't there at all (you're not gonna fight a Marth the way you would fight a DK), but I am saying that the skills you develop are much narrower and not as readily applicable across all fighting games.
    [edit]I should also probably qualify that the technical skill of Smash doesn't translate well to standard FGs. There's definite technical skill involved, no doubt, but where doing a qcf/dp/360/tk-anything translates as a standard motion from game to game, there's no translating any of the cube-controller motions to any other FG.[/edit]
    Or am I totally wrong?

Zomg, discussion in the Smash Bros topic. It has been so long
    Voa wrote: »
    See, I don't think that answer was that good. It was a wall of text, where his reasons for disliking "standard" fighters was; I don't like combos, rock/paper/scissors gameplay is lame, and muh freedom of doing whatever I want. Everything was fluff on himself or on how technical melee is.

Did you read what he was replying to?

Because if you break the question post down, it's asking (as far as I can see) one question and making a lot of statements the asker is assuming are true.

Here is the OP as I see it in point form:
    • Statement: Smash players don't play other fighting games!

• Question: Why do people who play smash competitively not play other fighting games instead?

• Statement: Playing Smash competitively kills the soul of the game

• Statement: Competitive smash is exclusively on final destination with no items

• Statement: People aren't enjoying the fact its a nintendo game and there are nintendo characters, they seem to be enjoying it because they can make it competitive.

• Statement: Other games are more technical

• Statement: Only SF4 players talk about frame data

• Statement: Smash is too chaotic to have strategy (and by implication, frame data)

• Statement: Smash is too simplistic because of the small movesets of characters

• Statement: "Most completely outclassing others" (??? Not sure if this means players outclassing players, characters outclassing characters or non-smash games outclassing smash)

• Statement: The only difference between casual and competitive smash players is their blocking and rolling

• Statement: You can get good at Smash in a week to a month, whereas other games can take years

So it is in essence "Here is reality as I see it, and all of my random assed assumptions about high level competitive smash. WITH ALL OF THESE ASSUMPTIONS BEING TRUE: Why do Smash players like Smash?"

The answerer can't just say "A or B" ; because the question was asked in such a fundamentally incorrect manner, so he goes into detail clearing up all the misconceptions. Basically every statement made was incorrect, except the part about competitive smash not using items.

The core question though of why the players plays, is basically rooted in "Why do you like it?" and "You" is a very personal question, and "like" is such a personally subjective thing, of course the answer is going to involve the answerer giving a bit of context about themselves, what they like, and their history. Hell they even put in a big horizontal line and said "Skip past this bit if you don't care to read about me" which is nice little touch.

Between the lines, though, is this whole "excessively high amount of time spent on an extremely narrow point of focus of developing skills" subtext.
    The reason that Melee players don't translate over, so far as I can see, is that skills gained in playing Smash to a high level don't translate over to other fighters in the same way that, say, KoF skills translate to SF (footsies, correct AA option judgement, correct method of approaching opponent/matchup archtype). I'm not saying that the skills aren't there at all (you're not gonna fight a Marth the way you would fight a DK), but I am saying that the skills you develop are much narrower and not as readily applicable across all fighting games.
    Or am I totally wrong?

Now you're also making random assed statements, buying into the assumptions posed by the original question.

The explanation was just WHY smash players like smash, it didn't suggest they COULDN'T play other games, nor that they don't.

I mean Chris G started as a Smash player. I hear he's pretty good at other things.

As for the specific examples you've given, I can go point by point and tell you why I think you're totally wrong on EVERY one, and how a direct comparison can easily be drawn but I'm a very middling Smash player with poor high level knowledge. Considering you know even less than me; I don't expect that discussion to be of acceptable quality to be worth it.

I think the main point was that you don't think the question was answered well, and I still think it was damn near perfect.

Given the context of the statements surrounding the question, we can certainly agree that his answer was good. I'm just not satisfied with the answer to what I see as the important question of "why do (primarily) smash players not generally branch out into standard fighting games?" I feel that he gave a lot of context and explanation to his argument that smash is skilled, competitive and intricate. As far as I'm concerned, that was a given (but I had some experience with melee/project M, so first hand experience comes into play that the question poser never seemed to have had, or had had a skewed experience). This is why I broke down his entire argument to a single statement that I felt reflected his answer to the important question (in my eyes).

The random statements were my own views, and what the responder stated about "DI", "SDI" and other low-frame, game specific actions that in no-way or shape could ever be applied outside of the game. Or are you saying that Chris G never misses a TAC Counter? It's why I post-scripted with it a query of me being wildly off the mark :pac: They're an opinion I've formed after seeing the level of technical skill required to do half the things in high level play, and realizing that, because of the method of execution, the skills developed would translate poorly over. This would be due, among other things, from the writer mentioning "analogue versus digital" motion control. While analogue controls infer an extremely high degree of control, it does mean that you get used to some freedom with movement that doesn't exist within standard fighters (outside of wacky nonsense like MvC's wavedashing/p-dashing).

I suppose the issue in our discussion lies on the fact that the posed question was directly phrased as "Why do people who play smash competitively not play other fighting games instead?" rather than the question you posed it as of "Why don't smash players play proper fighters?". The phrasing changes these questions from a postulate of "stop playing this baby casual game" to "why aren't you translating your skillset to a wider field?". I'll admit to having ignored this piece of phrasing up to this analysis of it.

If we're gonna start bringing in player names, why doesn't M2K play MvC too then? Surely, as one of the best smash heads, he should be able to body everyone free in Mahvel :pac: (I'm only being facetious, but at the same time, a player's starting game, without context of their skill within said game, hardly makes a point, surely? It's not super easy to find out Chris G's skill in the game, so it seems kinda pointless to bring him into the discussion.)

"Why don't smash players play proper fighters?"

On this one, my answer can only be "Don't they?"

Keep in mind we're not discussing this based on facts or data, the dude asking the question pretty clearly doesn't know anything about anything.

We have never really had a Smash community in Ireland, and I don't know anything about foreign communities or players; I have no idea what kind of overlap there is or isn't.

If you actually have SOME data, I'd be interested to read it.

All I know is Chris G did, but you say he's too good to count. I didn't know M2K did, but you say he's not good enough to count.

It sounds like you have pre-defined skill range in your head, but I don't know what that is.

If your question is "Why don't Smash players dominate other fighters?", the answer would be simply "It's really hard to be competitively good at multiple games." Unless you're someone like Jwong, ChrisG or Tokido.

I'm not using the term "proper fighters" to say that Smash isn't. I'm using it as a direct quote from you;
    Simon linked this in the chat, and I think it's one of the best Melee related reads:

http://np.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1hyqyk/nintendo_tells_organizers_they_cant_stream/cazeyxg

Standard question of "Why don't smash players play proper fighters?" with probably the most comprehensive and well written answer I've ever seen.

My argument isn't Chris G is too good to count, I just want to know his level of Smash skill! I also don't know of M2K's MvC skill, but given a lack of existing and accessible information, I can only infer he does not play the game. I've no "pre-defined" level of skill in mind at all, I just want to know the spill-over rates into other games from mid-high/high level Smash to other games. I imagine this is a moot point, however, since the information is probably not super-widely available.

My question was only jokingly "oh lawl they should body everyone free", and I only made it because you seemed to bring up Chris G out of nowhere. I understand that, outside of handful of players, it's very difficult to be good at multiple games with disparate skill sets.

At this point I think our discussion has veered wildly off-base from it's original premise of "why do (primary) smash players not generally branch out into standard fighting games?" Though I am willing to acknowledge the answer of "achieving a noteworthy level of skill across multiple games is difficult", I still feel there's potentially other factors at play. Possibly this includes the lack of inherently transferable muscle memory (a dp input is a dp input, no matter the game, but a Tilt-A is meaningless in a lot of standard FGs), among other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Speaking of the lack of crossover between Smash and other fighters, is there a repository of Smash tech lying around anywhere? Like, a page detailing all the terms and inputs required for advanced Smash tech.
    Something like Sonic Hurricane would be ideal: http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfterms.html

I only know who Chris G is because he became wildly famous via Marvel domination, and it came up that he had started as a Smash player.

I didn't mention him specifically because he was so skilled, but rather ONLY knew to mention him because of his fame.
    At this point I think our discussion has veered wildly off-base from it's original premise of "why do (primary) smash players not generally branch out into standard fighting games?"

Any discussion is better than.... say..... as a random example out of thin air: Reposting news about a confirmed returning playable character days/weeks after everyone already knew.

Or uselessly telling people what characters were in what smash games.

This discussion though? THIS is nice!
    Though I am willing to acknowledge the answer of "achieving a noteworthy level of skill across multiple games is difficult", I still feel there's potentially other factors at play. Possibly this includes the lack of inherently transferable muscle memory (a dp input is a dp input, no matter the game, but a Tilt-A is meaningless in a lot of standard FGs), among other things.

If we're talking about purely transferable muscle memory, I think it's a lot less transferable between games at a high level than you think, I don't think it's something that's unique to Smash.

Odd that you use tilt attacks as an example, because they are 1:1 the same as command normals in SF and KOF (one direction + one button).

Aside from that though, as an example, I play Deejay in SF4, one thing I had to learn was EX MGU dash U2. Ignoring the MGU part, the most general part of that input, Dash U2, is done like this:

Hold down-back for 55 frames for charge, release stick to neutral, double tap forward, return to down-back, input "delta motion" (stupidest motion in fighting games), press all three punch buttons simultaneously.

This is bizarrely specific muscle memory, and I don't believe this exact motion is transferable to any other game, and not even to most of the rest of the cast of the same game.

At a more basic level, the reason I specified 55 frames of charge is that this the standard time to charge in SF4 (not universally standard across all chars, but most common). If you wanted to play a charge character in KOF, you would need to readjust to the fact that only needs 30 frames to charge. If you only played KOF then moved onto SF, I imagine you'ld get a lot of jumping normal kicks instead of flashkicks.

Other mechanical things wreck my head going between "similar" fighters. Getting used to input shortcuts and "full guard" in SF4 (where your char auto-blocks an entire blockstring if you block the first hit) will get you absolutely destroyed in 3S, where I can't DP, and I tend to get hit by the latter half of supers while mashing out my own during blockstun.

Other 2D fighters have different kinds of input leniency too. SF4s is mostly direction input based (downforward, downforward = DP), but Blazblue's is button based (hold a button down for 5 frames of input leniency), and KOF's over reliance on semi-circles means it has a kind of "last input direction priority" (different motions take priorities over others, but this can be specifically bypassed by "Overshooting" your input and finishing it on a diagonal).

At high level, you pretty much have to play all these games with different muscle memory in mind.

Outside of that, your ability to win is based on your ability to read your opponent, react to stuff and correctly input the things you want your char to do. In that regard Smash is no different to any other game, in my opinion.

@Sairus: Something like this? http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Terms

Is this Evo training haha?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

As a very small aside, Dave you know there's a whole rake of short cuts for delta motion? It doesn't need to be quite so much a PITA.

• Advertisement

I suppose that, rather than muscle memory, I should have said similar "common motions". And tilt-A was a mistake on my part, I ment to say smash attacks, but I suppose they too can be linked to command normals. Smash wave dashing is a different enough to MvC wavedashing, but again, some through line exists there.

All this though, just makes me more curious. A lot of the smash players I was exposed to at the Smash-o-ton event seemed to resent standard FGs. As the event was closing up, after I said "please clean up lest we lose the venue for future tournaments. By the way, tournament in 2 weeks is SF" and I definitely heard someone say "yeah, 'cause we wouldn't want the Street Fighter people to not have a tournament". I've never heard someone roll their eyes so hard before. I didn't even know I could hear such a thing. And I had a weird vibe from a lot of people as I was playing a bit of MvC at the venue, but I put that down to being in a slightly awkward space in the venue. At the same time, even playing BB at an Inferno didn't make me feel like such an outsider within the FGC space.
    This was just my experience, and maybe it's not indicative of the scene as a whole, but still. As I wouldn't be part of the scene and you would, maybe you can shed some light on it?

As a very small aside, Dave you know there's a whole rake of short cuts for delta motion? It doesn't need to be quite so much a PITA.

lol, what are you even doing this deep in this topic Doom?

Yeah I know all the delta tricks specific to SF4, it doesn't change my opinion that the motion itself is an awful thing.

All this though, just makes me more curious. A lot of the smash players I was exposed to at the Smash-o-ton event seemed to resent standard FGs.....
    This was just my experience, and maybe it's not indicative of the scene as a whole, but still. As I wouldn't be part of the scene and you would, maybe you can shed some light on it?

I really don't know.

It's entire possible that that IS indicitive of the scene as a whole, and I'M just not. I'm happy to play whatever, and I think it's great Smash is having this amazing resurgence.

The new Smash scene that came about from O Smashathon (which I had nothing to do with) is the "Saved by the Bell: The New Class" to the Smash scene I ran 7/8 years ago. Out of the 30+ players there I only knew 2 or 3 from "the old days". It can't really be called one continuous scene.

Whatever reason people have for feeling discriminated against by Street Fighter is something I don't empathise with or care about. I always thought US NRS players (absolutely not the Irish guys) were the scene famously vocal about being oppressed by Capcom games.

Smash always struck me as the scene that didn't complain about anything, and just got on with their tournaments on their CRT TVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

From a peopley perspective I would guess that a lot of the reaction you describe would be a reaction to the various slurs that standard FGs have heaped upon the Smash community.

Smash is looked down upon and made to feel like an outsider so it acts like an outsider.

It is a shame because we could have had a great Smash community had they gotten involved earlier but hopefully it can be built from here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

lol, what are you even doing this deep in this topic Doom?

It's not unusual to find a mod poking around a popular thread :)

What Orim said is probably the most likely explanation on the whole. I had thought it was, but I wasn't sure how the Smash scene had been treated around here, so I couldn't make a call on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It might not even be because of the way Smash has been treated here, which has been welcomed as long as I've been involved. They could be just general attitude online and forming their opinions from that.

with mii characters added to ssb 4 the amounts of characters is unlimited lol

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    with mii characters added to ssb 4 the amounts of characters is unlimited lol
    Now we can finally add Street Fighter characters to the roster so I can feel like I'm playing a real fighting game at last.

Also, cheers, Dave. List looks good. I don't even have a Wii/GC to play on so there'll be no practice :P I've just always been meaning to see the complete smear of what high level play actually uses.

Sairus wrote: »
    Now we can finally add Street Fighter characters to the roster so I can feel like I'm playing a real fighting game at last.

Also, cheers, Dave. List looks good. I don't even have a Wii/GC to play on so there'll be no practice :P I've just always been meaning to see the complete smear of what high level play actually uses.

nintendo are planning to launch Super Smash Bros edition Gamecube controller adapter with four ports (you can play up to 4 players on Super Smash Bros wiiu) with Super Smash Bros wiiu as limited edition bundle package on Super Smash Bros wiiu release date and sell Super Smash Bros Gamecube controller adapter with four ports separately,

will the super smash bros wii u edition gamecube controller adapter will it ever come to europe and ireland I hope so

• Advertisement

i love ssb that you can customize your own stages

• Registered Users Posts: 34 trole

Speaking of the lack of crossover between Smash and other fighters, is there a repository of Smash tech lying around anywhere?

smashlounge.com

This site is pretty sound for terms relating to smash (nice and simple layout), it comes with some videos and character guides too which is cool. The site has only been set up recently, but if you want to know further information theres character discussions about levels/mu's on smashboards.com

Also I don't know where but there is extensive frame data that is floating about and a hack of melee called 20xx which has frame data modes (but that goes into way too much detail that I'm sure you wouldn't want to know lol)

Also sorry for this account name, its awful and I hate it but too lazy to change acct.

All this though, just makes me more curious. A lot of the smash players I was exposed to at the Smash-o-ton event seemed to resent standard FGs. As the event was closing up, after I said "please clean up lest we lose the venue for future tournaments. By the way, tournament in 2 weeks is SF" and I definitely heard someone say "yeah, 'cause we wouldn't want the Street Fighter people to not have a tournament".

I didn't hear that being said but you can't express one persons view as the entire groups mentality. Not to mention there is not one "hive mind" behind the smash bros scene here, we are not talking to each other enough to even share an opinion other than we love smash and we want to play it against people more.

I'm not trying to be snarky but I did hear you talkin subtle smack against us throughout the day, adding to the fact you were in the middle of all of us doing it sort of added to it's awkwardness for some people (namely how the tournament was run et al even though it was our first one.). Personally IDGAF, but I did want to talk to you guys about MVC cus it seemed fun and you's weren't being very approachable.
    And I had a weird vibe from a lot of people as I was playing a bit of MvC at the venue, but I put that down to being in a slightly awkward space in the venue.

You guys were forced to set up in the middle of everyone, I knew it was because the venue had asked you to set up there but I have a feeling that people who didn't know would have thought otherwise, I wouldn't think anything of that, its just how it went (it was pretty awkward having to navigate around you guys to get between places so it is understandable).

Also I'm not sure if it was said enough, cheers for your work on the nom doc tourney :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

trole wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be snarky but I did hear you talkin subtle smack against us throughout the day, adding to the fact you were in the middle of all of us doing it sort of added to it's awkwardness for some people (namely how the tournament was run et al even though it was our first one.). Personally IDGAF, but I did want to talk to you guys about MVC cus it seemed fun and you's weren't being very approachable.

Not to answer for Voa, especically given that I wasn't there (and he's a bit of an arsehole like ;)) but I imagine he was just playfully ribbing on the community's game, as we all are known to do. Blazblue gets an extremely rough time, Marvel is considered barely even a fighting game, Street Fighter players never show up and the game is boring, Smash "isn't even a real fighting game", MK has a block button - useless game etc. etc.

It's playful banter, a bit of craic, and I imagine Voa was fully expecting you to do it right back to him about Marvel! I wouldn't take anything anyone says too seriously, we all bond by "hating" on each other's games. :)

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    It's playful banter, a bit of craic, and I imagine Voa was fully expecting you to do it right back to him about Marvel! I wouldn't take anything anyone says too seriously, we all bond by "hating" on each other's games. :)

Haha yeah, I don't mind it at all, my point was that it can come across as being odd when you're in a room of people who barely know each other let alone person coming across as a big negative nancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Haha yeah, I don't mind it at all, my point was that it can come across as being odd when you're in a room of people who barely know each other let alone person coming across as a big negative nancy.

Always felt Voa looked like a Nancy :pac:

Just to comment on the way the tournament was run; I was hugely impressed. It was an amazingly tight ship that was run on time and on cue, with streamed matches and no nonsense held. I have nothing but respect for the chaps who ran it, and any ill will that may have been felt was either me making comments on the differences in the way of it being run (I don't trust wireless/wired connections for my brackets, I use a local program. Too much of a risk of losing your bracket somewhere in the ether, even with Challonge. Also, some bad experiences with the way that Challonge used to run losers brackets), which were not meant as criticisms, merely observations, or, as Onion said, friendly ribbing. I understand this may not have come over as such, as those I was joking with were friends of mine, who know the standard FGC jokes; Mavhel is braindead, SF will complain about tournaments and not show up, BB is a joke (q.q). If anyone overheard this, not knowing that, it would be easy to make the mistake that I would be hating hard on smash.

And yeah, we were set up in literally the worst possible place. Sorry about not being more approachable, I suppose we might have been slightly shell shocked by an actual populated tournament :P

And I know that the whole of the smash scene probably didn't think in such a manner as to be hostile; I was just seeing if what I experienced was a minority or a majority opinion. I didn't think it was going to be a case that an entire scene was as insular as I feared, but I thought I'd check to be sure :P
    As far as I knew, this smash scene could have always have been there, like some kind of shadowy cabal.

• Advertisement

no super smash bros wii u edition gamecube controller adapter on nintendo store only

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    no super smash bros wii u edition gamecube controller adapter on nintendo store only

I'm not sure who you are replying to (or if you are just outright stating this), but typically with things like this they will be available on amazon or somesuch closer to the release date of the actual item.

In my experience, preorders of this sort typically happen in america first then in the eu later..

Also Voa, Hopefully it will be just a matter of time before interaction between scenes in this manner can happen on a more casual basis, right now is sort of key since we are trying to establish the scene as there seems to be a want for something like this, any help we can get (such as nom doc thing, arcade con) is nothing but a benefit to us. :D

I'm not sure who you are replying to (or if you are just outright stating this), but typically with things like this they will be available on amazon or somesuch closer to the release date of the actual item.

In my experience, preorders of this sort typically happen in america first then in the eu later..

Also Voa, Hopefully it will be just a matter of time before interaction between scenes in this manner can happen on a more casual basis, right now is sort of key since we are trying to establish the scene as there seems to be a want for something like this, any help we can get (such as nom doc thing, arcade con) is nothing but a benefit to us. :D

i will at arcadecon whole weekend as Leon rpd friday, Leon Tomygun mode satuday and sunday startrek data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

well I'm surprised it's me who's bringing this news but... but just google "Smash Bros captain falcon", you'll find out some good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I hope he's not so crap this time.

There's some anime wizard man and girlier Marth clone too, but the most important thing to take away from this is Captain Falcon.

And 3rd party trophies are apparently a thing
    U3y4f65.jpg

Also who chooses these screenshots
    screen-8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Davidius wrote: »
    There's some anime wizard man and girlier Marth clone too

screen-8.jpg

Marth is still the prettiest princess.

LUCINA and robin newcomers for ssb4 and captain falcon is back

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/15/sakurai-talks-difference-lucina-marth-smash-bros/
    While Lucina’s abilities are identical to Marth’s, as it must be in her DNA, Sakurai explains that Marth’s power is concentrated at the tip of his sword, while Lucina’s attack strength is balanced throughout her weapon, making her easier to control. She’s also a bit shorter than Marth.
    “With the Wii Fit Trainers, the male and female Robins, the Villagers, and Little Mac, varying their appearances and voices works just like selecting alternate color variations,” wrote Sakura. “However, whenever there is even a small difference in abilities, that character gets an actual roster slot. That is why you can select Lucina individually.”

zlCfzSKwa6YCEBWvAZ_thumb.jpg

...there's a Lady Mac skin?

...there's a Lady Mac skin?
    No. There are:
    M/F Wii Fit Trainers
    M/F Robins
    a dozen varieties of Villagers
    3 Little Macs: Standard, with hoody and wireframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

I did not expect Robin to be added to this game. I actually said to friends "Oh wow it would be -so- cool to be able to play as your own Avatar in Fire Emblem".

If Nintendo adds a feature to import your Robin into the game from your 3DS through connectivity magic (hitboxes be damned) or if they at least have a Robin with brownish hair, I am going to have to main that fool.

BtLLKEjIIAA0tWh.jpg

Smash scene's secret tech for avoiding EVOla exposed

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28481957

Get on my level.

k82mbZGh.jpg

I wish to be on that level,

thats nice though, I wonder when the 3ds demo will be out in eu eshop :(

also is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

68lC9m.gif

Did I mention it's really good?

Real talk though, the demo is neat. Nice snappy motion, decently fast speed on everything, there's an option to turn the demo stage into no item/Final Destination on Stage Select with a single button tap. My one gripe is the 3DS' weird circle pad analog stick thing is tricky to get used to. Really great overall though and I'm very excited for the full game.

Which releases in 3 days. Sucks to be you guys.

Did I mention it's really good?

Real talk though, the demo is neat. Nice snappy motion, decently fast speed on everything, there's an option to turn the demo stage into no item/Final Destination on Stage Select with a single button tap. My one gripe is the 3DS' weird circle pad analog stick thing is tricky to get used to. Really great overall though and I'm very excited for the full game.

Which releases in 3 days. Sucks to be you guys.

Is this on the JP 3DS? Might pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Well the entire roster is known for sure now, I think it's a bit disappointing as 6 characters were cut. Apparently Captain Falcon now has some serious landing lag when using the knee but a lot more power, which I don't know how to feel about. Chaingrabbing has been nerfed by way of complete removal of the Ice Climbers from the game.

N46Ayb4.jpg

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Is this on the JP 3DS? Might pick it up.
    Yup. To get the demo you'll need to make a Club Nintendo account on the 3DS. If you haven't done that yet on your EU 3DS just do it simultaneously on both of them to get through all the menus easily.

Yup. To get the demo you'll need to make a Club Nintendo account on the 3DS. If you haven't done that yet on your EU 3DS just do it simultaneously on both of them to get through all the menus easily.

I believe Sinead already guided me through that to get my sick Taiko DLC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Demo wasn't doing much for me on account of the terrible control scheme that can't be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 FirLocke

Get on my level.

No problem. :)

*Edit - Never mind! Apparently I can't post images because I'm a new user. I took a picture of the results screen of me winning with (blue) Link against lvl 9 Villager, Pikachu and Mega Man.

I am more of a 1v1 no items guy though. I absolutely can not wait for Smash! I have pre-ordered the 3DS version, and will be getting the Wii U version whenever a Smash bundle appears.

Demo wasn't doing much for me on account of the terrible control scheme that can't be changed.

At first, I thought the controls were terrible too, totally because for some reason grab and shield were swapped. Otherwise the control setup is the same as on a GameCube controller. I've played the demo for just under 4 hours now and I'm feeling comfortable enough with this control scheme.

FirLocke wrote: »
    At first, I thought the controls were terrible too, totally because for some reason grab and shield were swapped. Otherwise the control setup is the same as on a GameCube controller. I've played the demo for just under 4 hours now and I'm feeling comfortable enough with this control scheme.
    The problem is that the tirggers are flipped and the difference in the physical position of the buttons on GC and 3DS mean the controls are technically modified too.

Gamecubecontroller.jpg

Navigateur_web_nintendo_3ds.png

On the gamecube controller the layout of the controller means that your inputs are laid out in an almost straight line from left to right - B: Special, A: Attack, X: Jump

On the 3DS the buttons are placed more regularly, which means your buttons are now in a straight line from left to right: Y: Jump, B: Special, A: Attack.

So while the inputs are actually assigned to the same buttons in both games the layout of the controllers means inputs have been rotated one slot to the right. I always play games on default button layouts whenever possible, so this has been wrecking my head after so many years of playing Melee and Brawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 FirLocke

This is true. Looking back on my post, I did generalise it too much by saying "it's the same as on a GameCube controller."

GameCube is the best way to play Smash, but for Smash's handheld debut, I feel like the controls on 3DS are fine.

Advertisement