Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking Question!

Options
  • 04-09-2014 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Disclaimer: Not sure if this is the correct forum so please move if required!

I have access points in 5 rooms in the house. All the cables go back to a single point in the attic.

Currently the phone and broadband are active in only one room (with a wireless router attached). Only one ethernet cable is in the conduit for each room and with very little room for anything else (sat cables etc).

The question:

Can I run an ethernet connection from the router, back up the same ethernet cable I am using to bring broadband/phone down? If so, can I then create a patch point in the attic for each room?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭emaherx

stooge wrote: »
    Disclaimer: Not sure if this is the correct forum so please move if required!

I have access points in 5 rooms in the house. All the cables go back to a single point in the attic.

Currently the phone and broadband are active in only one room (with a wireless router attached). Only one ethernet cable is in the conduit for each room and with very little room for anything else (sat cables etc).

The question:

Can I run an ethernet connection from the router, back up the same ethernet cable I am using to bring broadband/phone down? If so, can I then create a patch point in the attic for each room?

Yes you can.. as long as you don't want gigabytes speed.
    There is 4 pairs in an Ethernet cable 1 pairs is needed for phone two are needed for a network connection.

A switch will be required at your central point and some kind of bulan will need to be bought/made to splice phone /network at either end of the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭stooge

emaherx wrote: »
    Yes you can.. as long as you don't want gigabytes speed.
    There is 4 pairs in an Ethernet cable 1 pairs is needed for phone two are needed for a network connection.

A switch will be required at your central point and some kind of bulan will need to be bought/made to splice phone /network at either end of the cable.

thanks for the advice, I would prefer gigabytes speed due to having a nas beside the router and wanting to stream HD over wireless and wired, however I may be able to live with less.

Whats a bulan though??? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is your broadband ADSL/VDSL or Cable(UPC)? If its the former you really want to keep your modem at the master socket(where the line enters the premises) if at all possible for optimal performance. From there you can link to a GigE switch in the attic and feed the rest of the house. As long as the cabling is decent quality you'll get good throughput.

For phones you can run a flat single pair phone cable down the conduits if you're stuck but most modern homes will be covered fine by a single cordless base station with a few remote charging stations.

ED E wrote: »
    Is your broadband ADSL/VDSL or Cable(UPC)? If its the former you really want to keep your modem at the master socket(where the line enters the premises) if at all possible for optimal performance. From there you can link to a GigE switch in the attic and feed the rest of the house. As long as the cabling is decent quality you'll get good throughput.

For phones you can run a flat single pair phone cable down the conduits if you're stuck but most modern homes will be covered fine by a single cordless base station with a few remote charging stations.

yes, its adsl. 7MB package from eircom. The main line goes straight into the attic. I have it connected only to the line which goes to the router/phone (others are not connected to maximise BB speed). So all rooms with access points are currently dead.

When you say "from there you can link to the attic", do I need to run another ethernet cable back up to the attic to a switch? or can I use the same cable that comes down (theres very little room in the conduit what with 3 sat cables and cat5). If I can use the same cable what exactly do I do?

On the phones, I'm happy with just one phone point. I just want to maximise the wired connection and only use wireless where neccessary (phones ipds etc).

Just to clarify, are these "access points" phone sockets or ethernet ports?

The ideal setup would be IMO:

EIRCOM
    Filtered NTU(Attic)
    Phone(whatever room)
    .....................................|--Modem/Router(Attic)
    ..............................................|
    Wireless AP(downstairs)
    Ethernet Room1
    Ethernet Room2
    Ethernet Room3...

This would probably involve you running one new cable downstairs to the phone, rest would be done with existing cabling. You'd also want a wireless access point and a filtered socket if you can get your hands on one, if not a DSL splitter will do.

If as above they are phone points though, you'll want to check when/how they were wired. Older work was often done on low cost alarm cabling/bell cabling and thats useless for networking.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, are these "access points" phone sockets or ethernet ports?

The ideal setup would be IMO:

EIRCOM
    Filtered NTU(Attic)
    Phone(whatever room)
    .....................................|--Modem/Router(Attic)
    Wireless AP(downstairs)
    Ethernet Room1
    Ethernet Room2
    Ethernet Room3...

This would probably involve you running one new cable downstairs to the phone, rest would be done with existing cabling. You'd also want a wireless access point and a filtered socket if you can get your hands on one, if not a DSL splitter will do.

If as above they are phone points though, you'll want to check when/how they were wired. Older work was often done on low cost alarm cabling/bell cabling and thats useless for networking.

They are currently phone sockets but the wiring is cat 5 so presumably I can change then to ethernet ports?

In the above, are you saying to move the existing eircom wireless router upstairs and then a cable from that back down to a Wireless Access Point? then the 3 other ethernet ports would run to the other rooms?

BTW, thanks for the advice. much appreciated!

Yes, thats it. Might not be needed, but its the *ideal* situation.

If you want you can do

EIRCOM
    Attic NTU
    DSL Splitter--Phone
    .................................................................|
    Modem
    .............................................................................|
    Switch(attic)
    .............................................................................................|----Room1
    .............................................................................................|----Room2
    .............................................................................................|----Room3
    .............................................................................................|----Room...

That'd still require 1 new cable between modem position and attic, and a switch instead of a wireless AP.

The reason to choose the first setup vs this one is you should get slightly higher sync speeds. Might not matter now, but may do if your exchange isnt NGN yet(is your package listed as 7mb or 8?) and is upgraded down the road.

Yes, thats it. Might not be needed, but its the *ideal* situation.

If you want you can do

EIRCOM
    Attic NTU
    DSL Splitter--Phone
    .................................................................|
    Modem
    .............................................................................|
    Switch(attic)
    .............................................................................................|----Room1
    .............................................................................................|----Room2
    .............................................................................................|----Room3
    .............................................................................................|----Room...

That'd still require 1 new cable between modem position and attic, and a switch instead of a wireless AP.

The reason to choose the first setup vs this one is you should get slightly higher sync speeds. Might not matter now, but may do if your exchange isnt NGN yet(is your package listed as 7mb or 8?) and is upgraded down the road.

decisions decisions! either way its seems I need a router upstairs. I have an extra eircom router so possibly I can put that upstairs then run cables from it to the neccessary rooms.

The broadband is the Eircom Home advanced. max possible on my line is 7MB. Have had a terrible time with Eircom custiomer support so I'm moving to Sky or Vodafone next month.

Advertisement