Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Mikrotik RouterOS config, tips and tricks thread

Options
  • 04-08-2012 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

MMM      MMM       KKK                          TTTTTTTTTTT      KKK
      MMMM    MMMM       KKK                          TTTTTTTTTTT      KKK
      MMM MMMM MMM  III  KKK  KKK  RRRRRR     OOOOOO      TTT     III  KKK  KKK
      MMM  MM  MMM  III  KKKKK     RRR  RRR  OOO  OOO     TTT     III  KKKKK
      MMM      MMM  III  KKK KKK   RRRRRR    OOO  OOO     TTT     III  KKK KKK
      MMM      MMM  III  KKK  KKK  RRR  RRR   OOOOOO      TTT     III  KKK  KKK

MikroTik RouterOS 5.18 (c) 1999-2012       [url]http://www.mikrotik.com/[/url]

I've been recommending Mikrotik products for ages, so I decided to put up a thread where we can post some config, tips and tricks. This code can be pasted straight into a terminal in Winbox and is effective immediately, no reboot required

This is a basic firewall that covers everything, it also blacklists IP's for 10 days after a few ssh attempts and logs all login attempts. You can see the logged and blacklisted IP addresses in ip-->firewall-->address lists
    /ip firewall filter
    add action=accept chain=input comment="allow ICMP" disabled=no protocol=icmp
    add action=accept chain=input comment="allow winbox" disabled=no dst-port=8291 protocol=tcp
    add action=accept chain=input comment="allow api" disabled=no dst-port=8728 protocol=tcp
    add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=trying_to_login address-list-timeout=1d chain=input comment="list IP's who try remote login" disabled=no dst-port=20-23 protocol=tcp
    add action=drop chain=input comment="drop ssh brute forcers" disabled=no dst-port=22 protocol=tcp src-address-list=ssh_blacklist
    add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=ssh_blacklist address-list-timeout=1w3d chain=input connection-state=new disabled=no dst-port=22 protocol=tcp src-address-list=ssh_stage3
    add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=ssh_stage3 address-list-timeout=1h chain=input connection-state=new disabled=no dst-port=22 protocol=tcp src-address-list=ssh_stage2
    add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=ssh_stage2 address-list-timeout=1h chain=input connection-state=new disabled=no dst-port=22 protocol=tcp src-address-list=ssh_stage1
    add action=add-src-to-address-list address-list=ssh_stage1 address-list-timeout=1h chain=input connection-state=new disabled=no dst-port=22 protocol=tcp
    add action=accept chain=input comment="allow ssh" disabled=no dst-port=22 protocol=tcp
    add action=accept chain=input comment="accept vpn" disabled=no dst-port=1723 in-interface=ether1-gateway protocol=tcp
    add action=accept chain=input comment="accept vpn gre" disabled=no in-interface=ether1-gateway protocol=gre
    add action=drop chain=input comment="drop ftp" disabled=no dst-port=21 protocol=tcp
    add action=drop chain=forward comment="drop invalid connections" connection-state=invalid disabled=no
    add action=accept chain=forward comment="allow already established connections" connection-state=established disabled=no
    add action=accept chain=forward comment="allow related connections" connection-state=related disabled=no
    add action=drop chain=input comment="drop Invalid connections" connection-state=invalid disabled=no
    add action=accept chain=input comment="allow established connections" connection-state=established disabled=no
    add action=accept chain=input comment="acccept lan" disabled=no in-interface=!ether1-gateway src-address=192.168.88.0/24
    add action=drop chain=input comment="drop everything else" disabled=no

Here's 2 sample portforwards (disabled), a UDP and a TCP from port 5000 to lan ip 192.168.88.254 on port 5000. Add them, you can click copy and edit the copy and enable them
    /ip firewall nat
    add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="sample udp from port 5000 to 5000 (lan ip 192.168.1.254)" disabled=yes dst-port=5000 protocol=udp to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=5000
    add action=dst-nat chain=dstnat comment="sample tcp from port 5000 to 5000 (lan ip 192.168.1.254)" disabled=yes dst-port=5000 protocol=tcp to-addresses=192.168.88.254 to-ports=5000

This adds NTP so you never need to set time after rebooting
    /system ntp client
    set enabled=yes mode=unicast primary-ntp=140.203.204.77 secondary-ntp=0.0.0.0

This sets the DNS cache, change the servers to whatever DNS you use. You can check the cache in ip-->dns
    /ip dns
    set allow-remote-requests=yes cache-max-ttl=1w cache-size=4096KiB max-udp-packet-size=512 servers=88.81.100.2,88.81.98.4

If you set the DNS cache you're going to need to make the DHCP server give out the router IP as the DNS
    /ip dhcp-server network
    add address=192.168.88.0/24 comment="default configuration" dhcp-option="" dns-server=192.168.88.1 \
        gateway=192.168.88.1 ntp-server="" wins-server=""

I'll post more and get some scripts up later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This adds the DynDNS script that checks and updates your public IP to DynDNS, edit it with your own username, password and hostname
    /system script
    add name=dynDns policy=ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,winbox,password,sniff,sensitive,api source="# Set needed variables\r\
        \n:local username \"[COLOR="Red"]username[/COLOR]\"\r\
        \n:local password \"[COLOR="Red"]password[/COLOR]\"\r\
        \n:local hostname \"[COLOR="Red"]hostname.dyndns.org[/COLOR]\"\r\
        \n\r\
        \n:global dyndnsForce\r\
        \n:global previousIP \r\
        \n\r\
        \n# print some debug info\r\
        \n:log info (\"UpdateDynDNS: username = \$username\")\r\
        \n:log info (\"UpdateDynDNS: password = \$password\")\r\
        \n:log info (\"UpdateDynDNS: hostname = \$hostname\")\r\
        \n:log info (\"UpdateDynDNS: previousIP = \$previousIP\")\r\
        \n\r\
        \n# get the current IP address from the internet (in case of double-nat)\r\
        \n/tool fetch mode=http address=\"checkip.dyndns.org\" src-path=\"/\" dst-path=\"/dyndns.checkip.html\"\r\
        \n:local result [/file get dyndns.checkip.html contents]\r\
        \n\r\
        \n# parse the current IP result\r\
        \n:local resultLen [:len \$result]\r\
        \n:local startLoc [:find \$result \": \" -1]\r\
        \n:set startLoc (\$startLoc + 2)\r\
        \n:local endLoc [:find \$result \"</body>\" -1]\r\
        \n:local currentIP [:pick \$result \$startLoc \$endLoc]\r\
        \n:log info \"UpdateDynDNS: currentIP = \$currentIP\"\r\
        \n\r\
        \n# Remove the # on next line to force an update every single time - useful for debugging,\r\
        \n# but you could end up getting blacklisted by DynDNS!\r\
        \n\r\
        \n#:set dyndnsForce true\r\
        \n\r\
        \n# Determine if dyndns update is needed\r\
        \n# more dyndns updater request details http://www.dyndns.com/developers/specs/syntax.html\r\
        \n\r\
        \n:if ((\$currentIP != \$previousIP) || (\$dyndnsForce = true)) do={\r\
        \n   :set dyndnsForce false\r\
        \n   :set previousIP \$currentIP\r\
        \n   :log info \"\$currentIP or \$previousIP\"\r\
        \n   /tool fetch user=\$username password=\$password mode=http address=\"members.dyndns.org\" \\\r\
        \n      src-path=\"nic/update\?system=dyndns&hostname=\$hostname&myip=\$currentIP&wildcard=no\" \\\r\
        \n      dst-path=\"/dyndns.txt\"\r\
        \n   :local result [/file get dyndns.txt contents]\r\
        \n   :log info (\"UpdateDynDNS: Dyndns update needed\")\r\
        \n   :log info (\"UpdateDynDNS: Dyndns Update Result: \".\$result)\r\
        \n   :put (\"Dyndns Update Result: \".\$result)\r\
        \n} else={\r\
        \n   :log info (\"UpdateDynDNS: No dyndns update needed\")\r\
        \n}"

This adds the schedule to run the script every 5 minutes
    /system scheduler
    add disabled=no interval=5m name=dynDNS on-event="/system script run dynDns\r\
        \n" policy=ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,winbox,password,sniff,sensitive,api start-time=startup

This script emails you the router config. You can schedule it however you like, once a week, once a month etc. Edit it with your own email.
    /system script
    add name=backup policy=ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,winbox,password,sniff,sensitive,api source="/export file=([/system identity get name] . \"-\" . \\\
        \n[:pick [/system clock get date] 7 11] . [:pick [/system clock get date] 0 3] . [:pick [/system clock get date] 4 6]); \\\
        \n/tool e-mail send to=\"[COLOR="Red"]you@yourdomain.com[/COLOR]\" subject=([/system identity get name] . \" Backup \" . \\\
        \n[/system clock get date]) file=([/system identity get name] . \"-\" . [:pick [/system clock get date] 7 11] . \\\
        \n[:pick [/system clock get date] 0 3] . [:pick [/system clock get date] 4 6] . \".rsc\"); :delay 10; \\\
        \n/file rem [/file find name=([/system identity get name] . \"-\" . [:pick [/system clock get date] 7 11] . \\\
        \n[:pick [/system clock get date] 0 3] . [:pick [/system clock get date] 4 6] . \".rsc\")]; \\\
        \n:log info (\"System Backup emailed at \" . [/sys cl get time] . \" \" . [/sys cl get date])"

This adds the script on a 30 day schedule
    /system scheduler
    add disabled=no interval=4w2d name="backup config" on-event="/system script run backup\r\
        \n" policy=ftp,reboot,read,write,policy,test,winbox,password,sniff,sensitive,api start-time=startup

You need to set the from email address and your providers SMTP server, do an nslookup on it and add it as an IP
    /tool e-mail
    set address=159.134.198.135 from=<>[COLOR="Red"]routername@yourdomain.com[/COLOR] password="" port=25 starttls=no user=""

To setup a Vpn first you need to create a pool of local addresses to use so I reduced the dhcp pool and gave the vpn from 90-99
    /ip pool
    add name=default-dhcp ranges=192.168.88.100-192.168.88.254
    add name=VPN-Pool ranges=192.168.88.90-192.168.88.99

Then you need to create a user
    /ppp secret
    add caller-id="" disabled=no limit-bytes-in=0 limit-bytes-out=0 name=[COLOR="Red"]username[/COLOR] password=[COLOR="Red"]password[/COLOR] profile=default-encryption routes="" service=pptp

Then we need to turn on the PPTP server
    /interface pptp-server server
    set authentication=mschap1,mschap2 default-profile=default-encryption enabled=yes keepalive-timeout=30 max-mru=1460 max-mtu=1460 mrru=disabled

And set a profile to assign IP's from this vpn pool and add it to the bridge (you will already have a bridge-local if you're using the default config on a wireless RB751 but not on the RB750 without wireless)
    /ppp profile
    set 0 change-tcp-mss=yes name=default only-one=default use-compression=default use-encryption=default use-mpls=default use-vj-compression=default
    set 1 bridge=bridge-local change-tcp-mss=yes local-address=VPN-Pool name=default-encryption only-one=default remote-address=VPN-Pool use-compression=default \
        use-encryption=yes use-mpls=default use-vj-compression=default

Don't forget you need to have the firewall rules enabled to accept tcp on port 1723 and accept the gre protocol from the wan interface

This is an issue I came across that took a lot of head scratching to sort, it's known as hairpin NAT, where you're trying to come back inbound on the Wan interface you went out on. I have lots of web sevices running on my home server and wished to access them using my DynDNS hostname (public ip) when out and about and when connected to my lan. Some routers with a loose firewall cope allow this, the last Linksys with DD-WRT handled it just fine, but the Mikrotik needs an extra Nat rule to allow lan Ip's back in to this server from the Wan. The first line is the default masquerade rule, second is the added hairpin nat rule to allow local lan IP's access to this server on 192.168.88.252.
    /ip firewall nat
    add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment=masquerade disabled=no out-interface=ether1-gateway
    add action=masquerade chain=srcnat comment="hairpin nat rule" disabled=no dst-address=192.168.88.252 src-address=192.168.88.0/24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Cool thread, I have an RB1200 that I want to start playing with.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the posibilities with these things are endless. I used have an RB750GL with a separate Linksys AP behind TV. I ended up adding a second AP to cover the office at the back of the house as the wireless signal on my phone was weak. I have now invested in a RB751G for wireless "n". Amazing wireless performance from it, it gives perfect coverage throughout the house. They have 1Watt output power. To put that in context a standard Linksys WRT54G is only 28mW. I read somewhere that Mikrotik are having difficulty getting them certified in the USA for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They have 1Watt output power. To put that in context a standard Linksys WRT54G is only 28mW. I read somewhere that Mikrotik are having difficulty getting them certified in the USA for this reason.
    If that is the case, are they legal here? I thought the maximum EIRP in Europe was 100mW.

Alun wrote: »
    If that is the case, are they legal here? I thought the maximum EIRP in Europe was 100mW.

It's CE certified. USA customers can get them on Ebay, just not allowed be sold there.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

subscribed to thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cheers pog, mine should be arriving this week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

you convinced me to get one too, cheers :)

I set mine up (mostly) at the weekend there.

I used to be reasonably knowledgeable at networking, but I went to go at on Sunday and mind drew a blank :/

So a high level of what i did was (I'll through up details later):

I put my modem into bridge mode ("modem only" is what my modem was calling it). I assigned the modem a static IP within the same address range as i was using with the mikrotik

I set up a PPPOE interface on ethernet port1 on the mikrotik and configured it for Eircom (eircom, broadband1)

after that I pretty much did what pog has put up. Havent got a chance to do anything fancy with it yet though

More info needed. Where is it getting stuck? Is it getting an IP or even attempting to dial? Can you ping out? Is the default route out being added? Is add default route ticked in ppp->interface?

The modem bridge shouldn't be in the same subnet as the lan BTW.

More info needed. Where is it getting stuck? Is it getting an IP or even attempting to dial? Can you ping out? Is the default route out being added? Is add default route ticked in ppp->interface?

The modem bridge shouldn't be in the same subnet as the lan BTW.

Sorry, when i say i couldn't remember anything, i did get it done in the end but it took about 4 hours.

One genius thing I did was add the pppoe interface and then disable the ethernet port! :o

When i say its half done, It is my functional router but I havent opened any ports or set up Dynamic DNS stuff.

Also you are right re modem ip. It cant be reached from the lan but it doesnt matter what its lan ip is. I set it to be in the same subnet as the lan so I could just move the laptop from one to the other with the same static IP.

What's the rush, you'll be playing for weeks :D

What's the rush, you'll be playing for weeks :D

That's my fear! :)

In another note, they have completely changed the web interface since I was using the 750(g). The web interface used to be more similar to a regular routers interface with very limited options. Now its basically a second winbox (it is a very impressive interface, to cram that much functionality into a web app)

The wireless signal seems to be really good from it too.

Yeah, the web GUI is something they've been concentrating on. Every RouterOS version changelog has entries relating to web gui bugs. I tend to avoid it as Winbox is so stable, I've web login disabled as I use the default port for a web service I've running on my server.

Be sure to update to the latest version software 5.19 (paste it into files) and also do a "> system routerboard upgrade" and reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

Thanks to PogMoThoin, I have ordered the 751G. This is to replace the Zyxel POS that I have from Magnet.
    I have had numerous wireless disconnects from my Apple devices (disconnect after 5 minutes) and my laptop that I hope will be a thing of the past once I get this up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭lotas

I got a RB750 a while back, and i am using it with 2 cable modems, one at 60Mb, the other at 120Mb. If anyone is interested in how its done, and can tell me how to print out the config, please reply... Someone might be able to point out issues with my setup too... Thanks!

lotas wrote: »
    I got a RB750 a while back, and i am using it with 2 cable modems, one at 60Mb, the other at 120Mb. If anyone is interested in how its done, and can tell me how to print out the config, please reply... Someone might be able to point out issues with my setup too... Thanks!

I'm curious as to how you did this. Print just prints the settings as they are, but it is not pastable into a new router, for this you need to export as a command line. To export the full config just type "export" into the terminal in winbox, You can export individal sections like "ip firewall filter export" will print your firewall filters. Winbox is laid out in the order of these commands which makes it easy to figure.

• Advertisement

Ok, so here are some of the "interesting" things you may need:

NAT Rules:
    add action=masquerade chain=srcnat disabled=no out-interface=WAN1
    add action=masquerade chain=srcnat disabled=no out-interface=WAN2 to-addresses=0.0.0.0

Mangle rules:
    add action=accept chain=prerouting disabled=no dst-address=192.168.55.0/24 in-interface=LAN
    add action=accept chain=prerouting disabled=no dst-address=192.168.56.0/24 in-interface=LAN
    add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark disabled=no in-interface=WAN1 new-connection-mark=WAN1 passthrough=\
        yes
    add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark disabled=no in-interface=WAN2 new-connection-mark=WAN2 passthrough=\
        yes
    add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark disabled=no dst-address-type=!local in-interface=LAN \
        new-connection-mark=WAN1 passthrough=yes per-connection-classifier=both-addresses-and-ports:3/0
    add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark disabled=no dst-address-type=!local in-interface=LAN \
        new-connection-mark=WAN1 passthrough=yes per-connection-classifier=both-addresses-and-ports:3/2
        new-connection-mark=WAN2 passthrough=yes per-connection-classifier=both-addresses-and-ports:3/1
    add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark disabled=yes dst-address-type=!local in-interface=LAN \
        new-connection-mark=WAN1 passthrough=yes per-connection-classifier=both-addresses:3/0
    add action=mark-connection chain=prerouting connection-mark=no-mark disabled=yes dst-address-type=!local in-interface=LAN \
        new-connection-mark=WAN2 passthrough=yes per-connection-classifier=both-addresses:3/1
        new-connection-mark=WAN1 passthrough=yes per-connection-classifier=both-addresses:3/2
    add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting connection-mark=WAN1 disabled=no in-interface=LAN new-routing-mark=to_WAN1 passthrough=yes
    add action=mark-routing chain=prerouting connection-mark=WAN2 disabled=no in-interface=LAN new-routing-mark=to_WAN2 passthrough=yes
    add action=mark-routing chain=output connection-mark=WAN1 disabled=no new-routing-mark=to_WAN1 passthrough=yes
    add action=mark-routing chain=output connection-mark=WAN2 disabled=no new-routing-mark=to_WAN2 passthrough=yes

Routes info
    add check-gateway=ping disabled=no distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=192.168.55.1 routing-mark=to_WAN1 scope=30 target-scope=10
    add check-gateway=ping disabled=no distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=192.168.56.1 routing-mark=to_WAN2 scope=30 target-scope=10
    add disabled=no distance=1 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=192.168.55.1 scope=255 target-scope=10
    add check-gateway=ping disabled=no distance=2 dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=192.168.56.1 scope=30 target-scope=10

The Idea is that i have 2 cable modems, each setup in "fake briding" mode (both have DHCP off, firewall off, and DMZ to the RB750). the RB750 has 2 interfaces for WAN (1 and 2) and 1 LAN. The mangling section is what does the magic... Each connection that is opened is looked at 2 of ever 3 connects goes to WAN 1 (the 120MB Cable modem) and the other goes to WAN2. This works well on BitTorrent downloads or HTTP downloads from multiple servers, but from one server, its not as good since which ever way i have it setup, it seems to only use one pipe...

Any questions, shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

I have had an entertaining few days configuring the new box to work with my Magnet broadband and getting all the accesses and firewall rules set up.

It certainly is a steep learning curve (especially when winbox decides to stop functioning on a working day and you are back to entering commands via the cli - a router reboot required to fix).

Last night I got the remote access rules to access my WHS2011 and CCTV set up so happy days.

Really impressed with the wireless coverage but not too sure that the neighbours will share that enthusiasm.

which type of routerbox do you have? looking at upgrading my aging RB750 since i now have 250Mb/s connections into it... and Wifi would be a handy feature... my Apple Airport Extream is a bit on the old side...

I was encountering a bug where as Mikrotik isn't automatically renewing it's dhcp lease after it expires. My Linksys modem is in half bridge mode, where it dials PPPoE and provides the public IP to the connected router. The solution is this script, it pings an external IP 6 times and if they all drop, it performs a renew on the interface. I've it on a 5 minute schedule.
    :if ( [/ping 8.8.8.8 interface=ether1-gateway count=6 ] = 0 ) do={/ip dhcp-client renew ether1-gateway}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Hi

Great thread and great scripts. Thanks, PogMoThoin.

I got my 751G-2HnD yesterday and was up till 1am learning and configuring. With ssh and PPTP set up (thanks to the supplied scripts) I was able to continue my playing learning experience today from work.

I was completely blown away by the features and configurability of the device. I work in IT and am familiar with a number of business-class routers. I'd say this device has a feature set comparable with devices selling for €600 and more.

I'm definitely going to have to schedule a device backup on a regular basis as I intend to have a lot of fun with this device and it's not a matter of if, but when, I do something silly and kill my connectivity. Fortunately, there's a script for that too :)

I'm not in a position to submit anything new or useful yet, but I hope to return the favour at some point.

Regards

Liam

The DynDns updater script has stopped working for me but the same script is working for a friend. I have the free sub, he has paid. I've enabled the 2 week trial but it's still not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Hi

Although it doesn't help your specific predicament, I can confirm that the script is working for me. I also have a paid account.

Regards

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

V6.0rc7 just released
    have it working on RB751G-2HnD (mipsbe)

I'm using the RC firmware, it's working well. I've replaced the DynDNS script I was using with a new one and it's working http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dynamic_DNS_Update_Script_for_dynDNS_behind_NAT

• Advertisement

I set up an old 3g modem I had lying about on the 751G this morning. I was using a meteor branded E173 Huawei modem

Check is your device supported

When I eventually did get it set up I actually didnt do too much, but it didnt stop it taking me the entire morning!

If anyone has any questions about feel free to give me a shout.

Advertisement