Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDF pots course

Options
  • 29-12-2011 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi there, I have it on good authority from my cadre staff that the BTC are running an RDF pots course this year. Ive been trying to contact our lads that did it last but I cant, so what im wondering is would anybody possibly have a list of the fitness requirements for the course. I reckon I'd pass at the mo but just to be sure, a bare pass is no good and the fitter the better after all.

thanks, cork2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Ask your cadre for a copy of last years joining instructions, these won't change greatly and will give you an idea of the requirements. Fitness tests are detailed here http://www.1bderdf.com/fitnesstests.htm

There was not supposed to be a PNCO course next year but I've heard rumours that it will go ahead - but you wont know for sure until your sub-unit receives joining instructions. Keep an eye out on the calendar on the website linked above.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

cork2 wrote: »
    Hi there, I have it on good authority from my cadre staff that the BTC are running an RDF pots course this year. Ive been trying to contact our lads that did it last but I cant, so what im wondering is would anybody possibly have a list of the fitness requirements for the course. I reckon I'd pass at the mo but just to be sure, a bare pass is no good and the fitter the better after all.

thanks, cork2

Cork2

If you are S Bde, then your Cadre are wrong. No PNCOs Cse has been confirmed. It MAY be run but is definitely not confirmed. I reckon it is 50/50 whether or not it will be run.

E Bde, PNCOs will prob be happening - don't know about West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

concussion wrote: »
    Ask your cadre for a copy of last years joining instructions, these won't change greatly and will give you an idea of the requirements. Fitness tests are detailed here http://www.1bderdf.com/fitnesstests.htm

There was not supposed to be a PNCO course next year but I've heard rumours that it will go ahead - but you wont know for sure until your sub-unit receives joining instructions. Keep an eye out on the calendar on the website linked above.

I'd say its unlikely, given that the Minister has reduced the amount of Corporal vacancies, and there has been courses, but very few promotions, for the last 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

thanks, cork2

Minimum is Grade 3 overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

We need more 3*'s attending training regularly and a load of recruits - so I'm sure there'll be a PNCO course for every Bde next year....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭KickstartHeart

One was ran in the west in 2011.

All we needed was grade 4. So nothing too hard. About 30 press ups in the minute. about 35 in sit ups. under 15:14 in the 2 miler. And I cant remember what we needed in the 10k route march but I did it just over an hour and I was fine.

Dont quote me on those figures because theyre only from memory. But they're nearly correct anyway ;)

Keep up the training! The PT guy from the army told us that if we wanted to increase our speed for the run, when we're training, to absolutely blast it for about 300 meters, then jog for a good bit, blast it again, and so on. And keep at that and try and improve times. Its the best way for chipping away at the block I found. While your'e training like that, run a 2 miler once a twice a week too, and record the times. If your training right you will see improvements. I got my time from about 15 minutes down to under 14 in 2 and a half weeks.

As for the situps and pressups, keep at them in sets of 3. Dont do it 2 days in a row. Rest a day or 2 after you fully work out your pressups and situps. be able to do 3 sets of about 20 pressups and work from there. (pressups are the easiest thing to improve when you do it right). As for the situps. Same job again. Be able to do sets of 20 and work from there. Make sure your'e doing them right. legs slightly appart, hand cupping the knee when you come up etc. etc. etc.

Best of luck, keep it up, and enjoy the course :)

PS STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH AFTER YOU TRAIN... ALWAYS!! AND STRETCH GOOD!! Find out how/and what, to stretch properly from google or youtube or something before you start to get into your training. And if and when you are actually doing the test, have the old headphones in with some decent tunes blasting. Keeps you distracted from the hardship of it all when you start getting tired. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

well we,ll just have to wait and see. thanks for the help anyways lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

well we,ll just have to wait and see. thanks for the help anyways lads.

What others said. Get your fitness, get your PLCE sorted out and packed properly (the Standards Cse fold-outs going around will help), learn your formations and hand signals.

The rest is just mental attitude and hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

thanks, cork2

Cork2

PNCOs Cse in the South has been confirmed (Finally).

Joining Instructions sent to your unit.

Good Luck with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Doctor14 wrote: »
    [Snipped] starting tomorrow! Anyone doing it?

[Mod]Surely even the Irish Army isn't so anal that that comment runs the risk of being a security breach is it? However, deleted until someone can confirm.[/Mod]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

newmug wrote: »
    SNIPPED Anyone doing it?

Please don't put up such detail on the Internet. People do get very upset about these things (OPSEC).

Advertisement