Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin Dealers in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

biglff wrote: »
    I have this coin if anyone can shade any light on it.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/biglff/dads/005-Copy_zps9220469e.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/biglff/dads/004-Copy_zps78dd95d1.jpg[/QUOTE]

I think that it's a Moroccan 2 or 4 falus. The symbol in your first picture is the seal of Solomon. The Islamic date of 1288 converts to 1871 in the Gregorian calendar.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

biglff wrote: »
    Ya i thought that but i magnified it now i have my doubt look at the close-up.

I can't find any logical explanation to classify this as a 'mint error'. It might well have been the case that the original die was worn at the last digit and or it might have been a weak strike at that spot, in which case the coin even as new might have had a particularly weak last digit to begin with. With natural wear and tear (which this coin has had plenty of) the remainder of the digit might well have worn away. It wouldn't have been that unusual to see a weak image on parts of a coin like that. I really can't think of any other explanation other than someone having had a go at it...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 biglff

Hownowcow. Thanks that what i needed to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 biglff

Blade. Thanks its just nice to have an odd coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Hi Lads,

I'm looking to get a coin collection that was left to me valued with the option of selling. I'm looking for input from three posters in particular on this thread. There's over 1,000 in total, mostly Irish and English. Here's a few photos. The one's in the brown bags are only a small selection as there are between 50 and 60 of these in total.

Thanks,
    Dave.

• Advertisement

And more photos

And more photos

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

dave45dave wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a coin collection that was left to me valued with the option of selling. I'm looking for input from three posters in particular on this thread. There's over 1,000 in total,

Dave you won't get a proper valuation on this thread if that's what you're thinking? A proper valuation would involve inspecting each and every coin either in hand or by much clearer pictures than you have provided. As there's over 1,000 of them it's not practical to do that here and no one will inspect them in person and give you a valuation unless there's a good chance of them buying them at a low price. It's too time consuming for anyone to give you an accurate free valuation.

Your only options are to bring them to a few different dealers and let them make you an offer on the lot. There'll be a coin fair on in Feb, that might be a good place to start. Another option would be to list them all on ebay in separate lots with clear photos, this way you'll get top prices but it's also very time consuming. Or you could put them into a normal auction like the Dublin coin auction which I think the next one will be due around the same time as the coin fair.

Blade wrote: »

One of the 3 posters I wanted a reply from , thanks for taking the time with the detailed post it was very helpful. I have decided to sell them as coins are not really my thing and just wanted input from someone whos not going to rip me off. You mentioned Andrew Auld in Wicklow in one post and was wondering if hes worth trying.

Thanks again

dave45dave wrote: »
    You mentioned Andrew Auld in Wicklow in one post and was wondering if hes worth trying.

Andrew is dead sound but so are a few of the other dealers you could talk to at the coin fair. But as experienced dealers they'll be fair with you but won't give you the kind of money you could get selling them on ebay. Also keep in mind that while you do have some nice sets in your collection, you also have a lot of what a collector or dealer would call "junk", coins that are plentiful and not in demand. Dealers might not want to touch these at all. You could always dispose of junk on the likes of Adverts in lots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 roberthatfield

Hi. I have a lot of coins and i,m looking to have them checked. I have one from 1865 with georgios 111 one side and hibernia on the other. Would any body know where i would go...thanks

Hi. I have a lot of coins and i,m looking to have them checked. I have one from 1865 with georgios 111 one side and hibernia on the other. Would any body know where i would go...thanks

Are you sure that's not Britannia on the other side, I don't know of any Irish (Hibernia) coins or tokens from 1865.

Anyway if you're in Dublin there's a couple of coin dealers in the Georges St. Arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 akeady

Are you sure that's not Britannia on the other side, I don't know of any Irish (Hibernia) coins or tokens from 1865.

Anyway if you're in Dublin there's a couple of coin dealers in the Georges St. Arcade.

Or maybe 1765, as George III was long gone by 1865!

ATB,
    A.

akeady wrote: »
    Or maybe 1765, as George III was long gone by 1865!

ATB,
    A.

Probably, but still not Hibernia.

Probably, but still not Hibernia.

Well, 1766 could be a George III halfpenny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

George III and Hibernia 1766 ha'penny ....

http://www.irishcoinage.com/MILLED.HTM#geo3

Well, 1766 could be a George III halfpenny :D

Ya but not 1765, Jaysus lads how did we get from 1865 to 1766! :)

Anyway, God knows, yous could be right, we'll only know if roberthatfield posts a pic. As he says he has a lot of coins he should just bring them somewhere to get them checked out. If not in Dublin I'm sure someone could advise him on his nearest dealer.

Anyway, God knows, yous could be right, we'll only know if roberthatfield posts a pic. As he says he has a lot of coins he should just bring them somewhere to get them checked out. If not in Dublin I'm sure someone could advise him on his nearest dealer.

It's a stretch alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

He said George III who died in 1820 so it can't be 1865.

Could be 1805 ha'penny....

http://www.irishcoinage.com/J01039.HTM

coylemj wrote: »
    He said George III who died in 1820 so it can't be 1865.

Could be 1805 ha'penny....

http://www.irishcoinage.com/J01039.HTM

Might be - only change a single digit and the 6 and 0 are vaguely alike!

ATB,
    A.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Could be 1805 ha'penny...

I'd say that's exactly what it is alright, was only thinking that after I logged off. It's a very common coin and the digits are often worn so quite possible they misread it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I have an old Korean coin which I believe to be from the King Ingo and Yi Dynasty. It could be a 1625-40 AD coin but I can't be sure. I have absolutely no intention of selling it but it would be interesting to value it. It's probably worth very little but I'd like to find out more. Is there anywhere I could go?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

Hi I have been reading this and it has me interested! I must look at my old coins!!
    Is their anywhere I could get a list (or would anyone be kind enough to make one) that list the general coins from let's day 1900 to 2000 that an adverse person might find that might be worth abit! I know about the 1985 20p and the 92 10p but just a general wee list of coins one might come across that might be good!
    Thanks in advance

Hi I have been reading this and it has me interested! I must look at my old coins!!
    Is their anywhere I could get a list (or would anyone be kind enough to make one) that list the general coins from let's day 1900 to 2000 that an adverse person might find that might be worth abit! I know about the 1985 20p and the 92 10p but just a general wee list of coins one might come across that might be good!
    Thanks in advance

You should find everything you need on www.irishcoinage.com

Prices might not be up to date but it'll still give you a clear indication of what's rare and what's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

Thank you, I will check that out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 snap_happy

Hi, you guys seem to know what you are talking about. I have 3 coins... A 1914 gold half sovereign (king George) a 1980 1oz fine gold krugerrand and a 1982 1 oz fine gold krugerrand. Any idea on value or where I can sell??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FamilyTree

Hi can anyone here help? I'm building a family tree as a Christmas present with coins from year of births. I've located most on line but am looking for Irish coins as follows...1x1957, 2x1987, can anyone help....pleeease!!!

FamilyTree wrote: »
    Hi can anyone here help? I'm building a family tree as a Christmas present with coins from year of births. I've located most on line but am looking for Irish coins as follows...1x1957, 2x1987, can anyone help....pleeease!!!

Unfortunately, I don't think there were any Irish coins minted with those dates, so you will be left with gaps unless you stick in e.g. UK coins.

irishcoinage.com is a good site with info. on Irish coins.

ATB,
    Aidan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Unfortunately, I don't think there were any Irish coins minted with those dates, so you will be left with gaps unless you stick in e.g. UK coins.

irishcoinage.com is a good site with info. on Irish coins.

ATB,
    Aidan.

as akeady said no Irish coins for those dates but if you want to get substitutes e.g UK, American or some other country try ebay.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

Hi lads, I have an extremely large collection that I want to Sell I have hundreds upon hundreds of coins and coin sets. I am in cork, where could I sell them?

Advertisement