Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus 4 Owners Thread - apps, tips & tricks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Sometimes when my battery is low and the "connect your charger" message comes up on the lock screen it changes slightly. Sometimes there's a line going though the message, sometimes 3 lines and sometimes the "c" is missing from the word "charger." Does this happen anyone else? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

EGriff wrote: »
    Google Play Services is still draining my battery after the update.

+1

Still ain't great, but not as bad. Before the 4.4.3 update I uninstalled play services updates, battery was better, but still not what it had been. I was out of the country for part of the time and turned off mobile data and location reporting. The battery lasted quite well (admittedly with different usage , but lots of picture taking) but when I returned, I accessed the camera, then went to the gallery. Close the app after only 30-40 secs of use. Look my phone after about one hour, and the battery had dropped by 30%. Looked like it was the camera app. Or perhaps the location reporting of the camera app( had turned location reporting and 3g back on previously). So I agree with previous posters, that the battery drain may be more to do with the location elements of Google play services, and the associated apps that access location services rather than the 4.4.52 services update. Just my 2 cent. But still, its disappointing that there is this bug, which does not seem to be across the board, as others have not reported battery drain.

Sometimes when my battery is low and the "connect your charger" message comes up on the lock screen it changes slightly. Sometimes there's a line going though the message, sometimes 3 lines and sometimes the "c" is missing from the word "charger." Does this happen anyone else? :L

Haven't experienced that. Is your phone rooted? Or just drunk?

Slevster wrote: »
    Haven't experienced that. Is your phone rooted? Or just drunk?

Must be just drunk haha. Wouldn't know where to begin rooting the thing :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭iknorr

Has anyone had the problem with the volume buttons not working?

• Advertisement

Another thing I discovered that was not helping with the battery drain is that after the services update , it seems to have reactivated the "scanning always available" option for WiFi (in advanced WiFi settings). I turned this off when I updated to KitKat before Christmas and forgot about it. But I noticed that when I turned off WiFi , that when I looked at the battery usage, that WiFi was still constantly on using power. That and using the battery saving option in locations has helped. ( as others have said)

iknorr wrote: »
    Has anyone had the problem with the volume buttons not working?

I do remember some posts about something similar on this thread. Have you tried the search option on this thread? May throw up something useful. You could try clearing all the caches for any of the Google type services/settings in the ( look in the "all" section of apps in settings) and if that fails then do a factory reset.(or reflash if rooted) . remember to ensure that you back up contacts/ texts etc first ( just to note: you will need to reinstall all your apps after a factory reset, if rooted you probably know all this). After that it would indicate a hardware issue. Its not hard to open up the phone to have a look.
    Report back if you find a solution .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Ive been getting msg notification but no msgs when i click the notification theres no msg. Anyone know what this might be?

Ive also noticed that my screen stays on and has drained my bat to 44pc in 6hrs or so. Ive the option ticked to turn of after 30sec but its not working all the time.

jozi wrote: »
    Ive been getting msg notification but no msgs when i click the notification theres no msg. Anyone know what this might be?

Ive also noticed that my screen stays on and has drained my bat to 44pc in 6hrs or so. Ive the option ticked to turn of after 30sec but its not working all the time.

I see on other forums that folks are having similar issues re notifications.
    With your screen, is it staying on or is it from your battery stats in settings that you see it is using your battery? I.e even though you have your screen off, in stats does it appear that the screen was on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Guys long story short I'm going back to a nexus 4 after having a horrid time with a Samsung galaxy S4.

I have a voucher for Amazon and am looking for a decent wireless charger. There seems to be loads but can anyone recommend a good one.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Selling my nexus 4 if anyone is interested

Slevster wrote: »
    I see on other forums that folks are having similar issues re notifications.
    With your screen, is it staying on or is it from your battery stats in settings that you see it is using your battery? I.e even though you have your screen off, in stats does it appear that the screen was on?

The notifications happened before when a friend tried sending me his location from an iPhone. But this want from an iPhone and was days after i text her. I think her phone was just flirting with :-P

Not noticed the screen thing since. It was just staying active fire longer than usual, don't really watch the bat stats unless it's bad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

sugarman wrote: »
    Just got 4.4.4, no idea what fixes the are yet:o

There's a patch for OpenSSL and it appears to enable ART by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,036 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is anyone else's snapchat acting up acting again. Mine is much, much worse since the update. Just there now, my phone started vibrating like mad while using snapchat.

Can they not work on a solution like? It's only Nexus 4's that are affecting iirc.

How are folks getting on with the 4.4.4 update battery wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

It's definitely better than 4.4.3 for me anyway , noticing a difference in my phone battery but also a big difference in my 2012 N7 .

Does anyone else have the problem of your screen shutting off during a phone call & not being able to use it, for example to hang up.

I can try unlock the screen but it just flicks the screen off for a second and off again. Really annoying because I cannot cancel a call if I want to, can't hang up unless the other person hangs up & if it goes to voicemail, I am screwed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

FitzShane wrote: »
    Does anyone else have the problem of your screen shutting off during a phone call & not being able to use it, for example to hang up.

I can try unlock the screen but it just flicks the screen off for a second and off again. Really annoying because I cannot cancel a call if I want to, can't hang up unless the other person hangs up & if it goes to voicemail, I am screwed!

Have you got a screen protector on your phone? Maybe it needs adjusting as it could be slightly covering the proximity sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

That's generally caused by something covering the proximity sensor.

Could be any amount of things,
    Dirt
    A new screen protector
    A new, poorly designed case
    Or
    The sensor could be broken

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Have you got a screen protector on your phone? Maybe it needs adjusting as it could be slightly covering the proximity sensor.

Nope. No cover at all on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Nope. No cover at all on it.

Sounds like a dodgy proximity sensor then. Could try a factory reset to rule any software problems out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

Ya that happens me and it's more than likely the cover alright because when I take it off I can turn on the screen fine

Is anyone else having trouble with videos embedded on boards from YouTube on their phone? When I tap the video to play, the video plays but a menu pops up and covers the whole thing and I can't get rid of it!

I don't know if this is a problem with YouTube, boards, my phone, or chrome. Its really annoying :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Is anyone else having trouble with videos embedded on boards from YouTube on their phone? When I tap the video to play, the video plays but a menu pops up and covers the whole thing and I can't get rid of it!

I don't know if this is a problem with YouTube, boards, my phone, or chrome. Its really annoying :L
    This started happening to me today too, noticed it on every video on broadsheet.ie. I don't believe it's a phone specific problem though. Are you using Chrome as a browser?

lord lucan wrote: »
    This started happening to me today too, noticed it on every video on broadsheet.ie. I don't believe it's a phone specific problem though. Are you using Chrome as a browser?

Yeah I'm using chrome so I assume its a problem with that :/ maybe they'll fix it with an update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Yeah I'm using chrome so I assume its a problem with that :/ maybe they'll fix it with an update.

Try the Chrome Beta version on play store.

Try the Chrome Beta version on play store.

The exact same thing happens on that.

Just tried Firefox and the same thing is happening there too. I'm gonna blame YouTube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just had a quick Google of the problem now and it appears to be occurring across both Android and ios so it must be a problem on YouTubes end.

• Advertisement

Yep, same here. But Dolphin browser is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

If anyone is looking for a case, I found the official Nexus 4 Bumper Case going cheap (€2.95) on eBay!
    Didn't even realise it was going to be the real thing until I got it yesterday.
    lIaUlo3.jpg

Link: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281092385844

EDIT: Looks like that one isnt for sale anymore, but I found this listing by the same seller and price.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Borderline-Bumper-Frame-Case-Cover-For-LG-Google-Nexus-4-LG-E960-/281331690992?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=&hash=item4180acedf0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If anyone is looking for a case, I found the official Nexus 4 Bumper Case going cheap (€2.95) on eBay!
    Didn't even realise it was going to be the real thing until I got it yesterday.
    lIaUlo3.jpg

Link: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281092385844

EDIT: Looks like that one isnt for sale anymore, but I found this listing by the same seller and price.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Borderline-Bumper-Frame-Case-Cover-For-LG-Google-Nexus-4-LG-E960-/281331690992?pt=US_Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=&hash=item4180acedf0

Supposed to be not the may west though, a fair few boardsies giving out about them on here....

Anyone know where to buy a replacement screen for one of these their all over ebay and all sorts of aliexpress sites or are they al the same?

How hard is it to replace them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Is it possible to reset the phone without losing everything? My internet speed etc has gone to crap the past day even though I have a full connection on both wifi and netwrok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

I know that starting it in safe mode and then restarting it normally is meant to help a few things. Not sure though but worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've had my phone for nearly a year now, but I've yet to update the software. I've no idea what system I have on my phone.

I'm being offered Jelly Bean 4.3 at the moment. Should I upgrade? Or is it even an upgrade?

My phone is working perfectly at the moment and I don't want to mess it up.

Finally, what's the story with 4.4.4? What does that include?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I've had my phone for nearly a year now, but I've yet to update the software. I've no idea what system I have on my phone.

I'm being offered Jelly Bean 4.3 at the moment. Should I upgrade? Or is it even an upgrade?

My phone is working perfectly at the moment and I don't want to mess it up.

Finally, what's the story with 4.4.4? What does that include?

Just update it, it won't mess anything, there will be another update to kit Kat after jellybean, accept that too. What you have on your phone is very old and badly needs updating

http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

Just update it, it won't mess anything, there will be another update to kit Kat after jellybean, accept that too. What you have on your phone is very old and badly needs updating

http://www.android.com/versions/kit-kat-4-4/

Done.

On your head be it! :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The biggest change is probably the ART bootloader.
    It was discussed earlier here but essentially it can improve battery life by changing how apps are installed and launched.

You can also use the new Google Now Launcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

5uspect wrote: »
    The biggest change is probably the ART bootloader.
    It was discussed earlier here but essentially it can improve battery life by changing how apps are installed and launched.

You can also use the new Google Now Launcher.

Yeah but Art is not enabled by default, you have to enable it in developer options

• Advertisement

Brilliant. Thanks to everyone.

Most importantly, I've been able to download the Outlook Web App for my work emails. It was pissing me off having to log in via Chrome. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So my trusty Nexus 4 went for a brief swim yesterday evening. I turned it off immediately afterwards and left it off until today.

The phone still works perfectly but..... the battery won't charge, and in order to turn it on, I need to press the 'volume down' + 'power' buttons together and start it up that way.

When the phone is on, and I plug in a charging cable, it will run from that power source. And if it is connected to a PC, I can still transfer files etc.

If the phone is turned off, and I plug in a charging cable, there is a solid red light for a few seconds.

My plan is to unscrew the back cover and see if the battery is ok, but I haven't got the required screwdriver at the moment.

Anybody have any other ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

So my trusty Nexus 4 went for a brief swim yesterday evening. I turned it off immediately afterwards and left it off until today.

The phone still works perfectly but..... the battery won't charge, and in order to turn it on, I need to press the 'volume down' + 'power' buttons together and start it up that way.

When the phone is on, and I plug in a charging cable, it will run from that power source. And if it is connected to a PC, I can still transfer files etc.

If the phone is turned off, and I plug in a charging cable, there is a solid red light for a few seconds.

My plan is to unscrew the back cover and see if the battery is ok, but I haven't got the required screwdriver at the moment.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Turn it off asap. Put it in rice.

Get the torx screwdriver you need. Take off the back cover. Take apart the phone. The battery is really hard to take off but make sure to disconnect it Take off the loudspeaker and then the USB port.

Put all the different parts in rice for two days at least.

Try it then. If it doesn't work I would soak the USB/mic part in alcohol. If it still doesn't work. Just buy the necessary parts.

I let mine fall in water two weeks ago. The loudspeaker didn't work at first but then a nice in rice worked. But then the mic didn't work. Eventually replaced it for a total cost of 14 euro with the part from eBay.

But yeah turn it off at the very least. Lots of videos on how to take it apart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Anyone elses battery overheating? Mine is doing so quite often and it seems it's a common problem. Not sure if there is a solution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Raoul wrote: »
    Turn it off asap. Put it in rice.

Get the torx screwdriver you need. Take off the back cover. Take apart the phone. The battery is really hard to take off but make sure to disconnect it Take off the loudspeaker and then the USB port.

Put all the different parts in rice for two days at least.

Try it then. If it doesn't work I would soak the USB/mic part in alcohol. If it still doesn't work. Just buy the necessary parts.

I let mine fall in water two weeks ago. The loudspeaker didn't work at first but then a nice in rice worked. But then the mic didn't work. Eventually replaced it for a total cost of 14 euro with the part from eBay.

But yeah turn it off at the very least. Lots of videos on how to take it apart

Just to add to this. People dont seem to understand that you should never turn it on to "check if it is working". The reason you put it in rice is to completely dry it out. If there is a drop of water on any of the PCB's this can cause a short circuit and fry the board. The rice absorbs this water.

If you drop it in a sugary drink, it is much harder. Once it dries out the sugar can cause two tracks too short circuit. This is why you will see people put it in alcohol, it dissolves the sugar. Leaving it in for too long can harm the boards mind you.

But ye, never turn it on before 2-3 days of drying in the warmest place in your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Recently my nexus 4 has started to randomly turn itself off. I would go to use it & it would be off. I haven't added any apps recently so I'm wondering would anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Is a factory reset the only option? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

jgbyr wrote: »
    Recently my nexus 4 has started to randomly turn itself off. I would go to use it & it would be off. I haven't added any apps recently so I'm wondering would anyone have any ideas or suggestions. Is a factory reset the only option? Thanks.

My mothers nexus was doing something similar, she stupidly sent it back and after a few weeks it came back factory reset.

I would try a factory reset or maybe use nexus root toolkit to flash a fresh firmware onto it instead of a factory reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

jozi wrote: »
    My mothers nexus was doing something similar, she stupidly sent it back and after a few weeks it came back factory reset.

I would try a factory reset or maybe use nexus root toolkit to flash a fresh firmware onto it instead of a factory reset.

Thanks, just after turning back on again!! Might try a reset tonight as you suggested & see how it goes. How's your Mother's phone since she got it back.

I think she might still have the odd problem where it turns off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement