Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build Up Internal Walls

Options
  • 30-07-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

My joists sit about 4-5 inches higher than my 1st floor internal walls and rest on the external walls only. Under the joists I plan on attaching my airtight membrane and then a 2 inch insulated slab.

This means the internal walls will be 2-3 inches lower than the slab. What's the best way to build up the walls - 'soapbars'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

BarneyMc wrote: »
    My joists sit about 4-5 inches higher than my 1st floor internal walls and rest on the external walls only. Under the joists I plan on attaching my airtight membrane and then a 2 inch insulated slab.

This means the internal walls will be 2-3 inches lower than the slab. What's the best way to build up the walls - 'soapbars'?

Make sure your structural engineer is satisfied that the walls have adequate head restraint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

4Sticks wrote: »
    Make sure your structural engineer is satisfied that the walls have adequate head restraint

What's that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

BarneyMc wrote: »
    What's that?

Jasus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Jasus...

Ok...sorry.. Generally speaking the walls need to be laterally restrained at their head in most cases to provide adequate resistance to internal wind loads/horizontal loads (BS6399) as well as meeting robustness requirements and ensuring an overall durable junction that wont crack the finishes.

Personally - typically I would be looking for a timber bearer/wallplate adequately fixed/strapped where necessary. But of course this varies from wall to wall and project to project.

Is this a support point for the designed roof structure? Wind uplift requirements..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Also be satisfied that sound will not transfer too readiliy between rooms seperated by these walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Ok...sorry.. Generally speaking the walls need to be laterally restrained at their head in most cases to provide adequate resistance to internal wind loads/horizontal loads (BS6399) as well as meeting robustness requirements and ensuring an overall durable junction that wont crack the finishes.

Personally - typically I would be looking for a timber bearer/wallplate adequately fixed/strapped where necessary. But of course this varies from wall to wall and project to project.

Is this a support point for the designed roof structure? Wind uplift requirements..?

Apology accepted, I've 2 degrees but neither in engineering.

OK, if this really is a structural issue then I'll leave it at that as I know we can't discuss on this forum. I'm talking about the internal (inside walls) on the first floor, none of which have any strapping (unlike the outside/perimeter walls) or support the roof.

So just to be clear, do these internal walls need to be 'laterally restrained'?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Just to be clear, your eng/arch needs to see this.

Advertisement