Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunroom extension enclosing external pipework

Options
  • 30-07-2014 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

I'm looking into building a sunroom extension across the whole of my house. Half way across the back of the house is the current downpipe from the upstairs bathroom. I am stuck for space at each side so moving the pipework isn't really an option. I have heard that the downpipes can be enclosed and that "sound" might be a problem in the new sunroom when flushing upstairs.

Apart from this, are there any other disadvantages to going this route?

Would there be much difficulty in resolving a potential blockage in the downpipe or it's extended horizontal pipe under the sunroom floor etc.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Cast iron pipes can help reduce water noise. The way it's enclosed/insulated will also improve sound.

Only other issues with building over a pipe are as follows:

1. You will need an accessible rodding eye internally and a new AJ externally so that any blockage can be rodded from either side.

2. If the pipe leaks and your foundation is above/below..then you're going to find out it's leaking by seeing a crack in your wall. That said, it's often done but you just need to make sure the pipework is in good condition (replaced if necessary) and has adequate bedding/surround/cover/falls/access as well as being properly maintained.

Advertisement