Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steps in self building

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

mickman wrote: »
    Thanks and would that include house furnishings ?

No

BryanF wrote: »
    Not really more like 1200 to 1700 depending on finish & what is included.

I thing he means €1200-€1700 per M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Would that 110e/Sq ft be just the for the builder or everything, likes of planning, surveyer etc? If it's just for the builder, could anyone put an approx figure on what extra you'd need to pay, say to go from a bare site to a house with a builders finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Not sure where these inflated prices come from

How can someone I know buy a 2250 sq frt brand new house for 275k with good finish if it's 120+ per square foot. Site is at least 60k , does the builder not make a profit ?

Also if the site is pretty level and it's a serviced site- will this bring cost down?

How can a timber frame cost as much as block if build time is way shorter ,surely thd labour makes up a huge chunk of thd cost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

How can someone I know buy a 2250 sq frt brand new house for 275k with good finish if it's 120+ per square foot. Site is at least 60k, does the builder not make a profit ?

Quite possibly not?

Also bear in mind that if the person you know has bought a completed house, then that house has probably been built under old(er) regulations (= cheaper to build).
    How can a timber frame cost as much as block if build time is way shorter ,surely thd labour makes up a huge chunk of thd cost

Timber frame is generally more expensive than block, but cost vs. time generally balances out the overall cost of each method of construction.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,860 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

How can someone I know buy a 2250 sq frt brand new house for 275k with good finish if it's 120+ per square foot. Site is at least 60k , does the builder not make a profit ?

Also if the site is pretty level and it's a serviced site- will this bring cost down?

You can buy a rural house these days for less than it costs to build it. ... where have you been for the last five years?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You can buy a rural house these days for less than it costs to build it. ... where have you been for the last five years?

Why bring a smart comment into this . I'm only asking a question

Why bring a smart comment into this . I'm only asking a question

You are the who refered to the quotes given here as "inflated", so obviously your coming at this from a bias.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

http://www.scsi.ie/about_us/rebuildcalculator

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You are the who refered to the quotes given here as "inflated", so obviously your coming at this from a bias.

Calling them inflated isn't being smart. It's what my opinion is. Other posters on here say their houses have been built for less than 100 a sq foot so just don't understand it

Also don't understand how a building company can sell the new house in my earlier post for that price

• Advertisement

Other posters on here say their houses have been built for less than 100 a sq foot so just don't understand it

That is the nature of the internet. One must always consider the source.

Also don't understand how a building company can sell the new house in my earlier post for that price

From time to time businesses make losses. No mystery.

Calling them inflated isn't being smart. It's what my opinion is. Other posters on here say their houses have been built for less than 100 a sq foot so just don't understand it

distressed borrowers
    repossessed house
    undeclared issues with house
    actual market value

throw a dart and pick one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭893bet

Each poster may have a different definition of "built".

Poster A built is fully finished inside and out with lawns gates etc.
    Poster B it's fully finished inside with loads of work to do outside
    Poster C it's a builders finish inside

Comparing posters cost per square foot is comparing apples and oranges often. Different size houses, locations, planning conditions, which year regulations have to met etc will all impact the cost.

100 per sq ft is very possibile (finished inside and out but not furnished) I think with a simple design house, simple roof, good ground conditions etc with careful planning and a relatively basic spec. With the new regs now to contend with though........

893bet wrote: »
    Each poster may have a different definition of "built".

Poster A built is fully finished inside and out with lawns gates etc.
    Poster B it's fully finished inside with loads of work to do outside
    Poster C it's a builders finish inside

Comparing posters cost per square foot is comparing apples and oranges often. Different size houses, locations, planning conditions, which year regulations have to met etc will all impact the cost.

100 per sq ft is very possibile (finished inside and out but not furnished) I think with a simple design house, simple roof, good ground conditions etc with careful planning and a relatively basic spec. With the new regs now to contend with though........

Thanks for the good answer.

How do the new regs affect things ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,163 ✭✭✭893bet

Thanks for the good answer.

How do the new regs things ?

I don't know a lot about it as it doesn't affect mybuild but the general opinion is it increases cost due to increased certification cost.

Also it means that doing a self build is difficult as the risk to a certifier is huge so a main contractor is preferable.

That said my own engineer had mentioned in passing that he is willing to certify new self builds under the new regs. I have my reservations about this as everyone else on here thinks it won't work and they can't all be wrong. He is pushing 60 so I suspect he doesn't understand the full implication of the regs.

Eitherway Mick be wary of the people claiming 60euro per sq foot. Chances are they are either doing one or a combination of the below

A) not meeting regulations and saving money that way
    B) doing a lot of work themselves and/or free cheap labour from family (which I don't think is possible under new regs)
    C) not including a lot of costs that have to be included.

Stuff is dear. Materials are crazy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

That said my own engineer had mentioned in passing that he is willing to certify new self builds under the new regs. I have my reservations about this as everyone else on here thinks it won't work and they can't all be wrong. He is pushing 60 so I suspect he doesn't understand the full implication of the regs.

That is a very important point! There are people out there, acting as Assigned Certifier, who I believe do not fully understand the role they are undertaking!

I spoke with a chartered engineer recently, who is acting as Assigned Certifier on a build. He told me he was charging E 1800 + VAT to act as AC. I asked him how the hell was he doing it so cheap?

This is how. There is a registered architect appointed too (appointed for the construction stage). The architect refused to take on the role of AC! The engineer was wiling to act as AC. He will be just doing visits to site to inspect the structural elements of the works...and...then...for all other parts of the works he will simply get photos,minutes and ancillary certs from the architect and from that, he told me, he is happy to sign off the build (as AC). In essence he almost sees his role as AC as admin!

All I could say was....really!!!

I just told him to consider, in the future, if there is an issue, it will be his name on the Certificate of Completion.

He is pushing 60 so I suspect he doesn't understand the full implication of the regs.

Poverty is a most excellent defence.Unless this guy is a wealthy retiree any "warranty" in his Certification will be hollow. I have actually seen a case many years ago where a profesional really messed up. The clients did not sue beacuse the legal advice was that there would be nothing to gain - he had no money.

Its all well and good saying buying a house is cheaper than building it but the houses i see for sale are just crap to be honest.

i want a bigger house for my family - its as simple as that but if i built a 2500 sq foot , i cant afford to pay 300k to build it

• Advertisement

Well then there's the reason they are cheaper

Advertisement