Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant get a quote for extention?

Options
  • 10-07-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭

Lo.
    I have been trying to quotes for building an extension on the rear of my house.
    I had to go for planing as we already have a conservatory which would have used up the allowance.

After much hassle i got the planing and sent out copies of the plans with details of the work required to about 10 well known builders around dublin that do extensions.

However, it's been months later with me phoning them every week of so, but not one of them will reply back to me? they keep saying that someone will ring etc but never do.
    It's not even a huge job, 2 walls are to be knocked and moved out and the flat roof is been replaced with a pitched roof.

Any idea on how you get builders to actually talk to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

could you ask th Arch who did the plans for you to put it out to tendor?

They may have more luck!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Skatedude wrote: »
    Lo.
    1. After much hassle i got the planing and
    2. sent out copies of the plans with details of the work required to about
    3. 10 well known builders around dublin that do extensions.
    4. However, it's been months later
    5. with me phoning them every week of so, but not one of them will reply back to me? they keep saying that someone will ring etc but never do.
    6. It's not even a huge job, 2 walls are to be knocked and moved out and the flat roof is been replaced with a pitched roof.
    7. Any idea on how you get builders to actually talk to you?

1. what was the hassle?
    2. you sent out planning drawings? it sounds like there is something of putting in the info sent out for tender
    3. 10? did you not meet with 3/5 before issuing, talk about the job and get a feel for if they were actually interested?
    4. months!! Jasus. did you not return date on the tender package?
    5. is that the only thing they have said? or are we missing something here?
    6. 'not even a huge job' is that the type of language your using with the 10 builders?
    7. as suggested by others, have you considered getting a professional to do this on your behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

1, i've gone through 3 separate architects trying to get the planning, all 3 quit after this job, 2 quit architecture and the final one who got me the planning retired early. They couldnt understand why the applications were been rejected, Ie the previous plans were rejected stating that we must keep 25% of the back garden, we were keeping 80%.
    Another reason was that a "multi story structure would be not suitable based on the surrounding houses". er, it's a single story?
    Surprising, the plan was accepted once we went to appeal with on bord pleanala.

2. I was the one who sent out the drawings and details to the builders as they asked for them when i first rang looking to see how to get a quote.

3. Meet? so far none have ever returned any of my emails or phone calls yet.

6. i never used any language, the drawings and details were done by my last architect.

7, i am waiting to meet up with another architect in the next few days who can hopefully be a project manager and can oversee the tender and work. Fingers crossed.

Cheers for the pm Anthony. I'll be in touch if this architect i'm meeting dosent work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭scwazrh

theres an ad at the bottom of this page for tradesmen.ie , why not post on that site and get your quotes through them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Cheers for the help, currently waiting on a contractor to get back to me, he was out to see the site and hopefully it will work out,

Thankyou for those who pm'd me and i have kept your details and will contact you if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

this is actually unbelievable! Gumtree could be worth a try... edit just saw this as I am looking for a tiler...

http://www.gumtree.ie/a-building-services/dublin/turn-your-house-in-to-a-home-with-an-extension/1001165860390910286217009

Advertisement