Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a tablet for kids

Options
  • 03-10-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭

Looking at Meeps etc but the "kids" tablets look a little too Fisher Price if you know what I mean. I think the kids would get better value from a real looking tablet.

So can anyone recommend me a budget tablet that would do instead? Would like decent battery life, good screen, cameras, hdmi out, ICS or Jelly Bean, sd card slot.

Was looking at the Ainol range, but which one? Elf 2? Which one is stable, reliable, bug free? Any UK websites to buy from to ensure uncomplicated delivery?

What about the Amazon Fire HD? Looks interesting as it has profiles and parental controls built in. Although I could buy two Ainols for the price of one Fire.

What would you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

Being doing a bit of research myself with regards to a tablet for my 7 year old for xmas and have my eye on either a Nabi 2 or a Nexus 7 both around 200 euros.
    Im more leaning towards the Nabi 2 as it seems to be better suited for my child + it has a micro sd slot and has a Tegra 3 processor + I would have complete control over what my child can do on it with the mammy/daddy mode (which lets you use it as a normal tablet).
    Here is a review for the Nabi 2:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/06/19/fuhu-nabi-2-review-a-quad-core-android-4-0-tablet-designed-just-for-your-kids-and-its-surprisingly-awesome/

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Im looking for the same for my kid, the nabi 2 looks good, the only bother is no google play so the apps i already have bought and installed on a old android phone i wouldnt be able to install on the nabi.

I was thinking getting one of the ones from harvey normam and get a really good rubber case for the tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

there was a ~54 euro one on the bargain alert forum which was getting quite decent reviews. coming from china or somewhere over that direction so delivery was taking the bones of a month though.
    quite a large amount of peope went and got them and they seemed quite a nice bit of kit. especially for kids or whatever incase they do drop them etc...
    also by "kids" an age range would have been decent.
    you will find most 8-12 year olds will figure out things faster than us older generation nowadays and be teaching you a thing or two in a few days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

I am veering towards the Nabi 2 for my 7 year old, it is expensive but the reviews are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

ldr wrote: »
    Im looking for the same for my kid, the nabi 2 looks good, the only bother is no google play so the apps i already have bought and installed on a old android phone i wouldnt be able to install on the nabi.

I was thinking getting one of the ones from harvey normam and get a really good rubber case for the tablet

See this website:
    http://everythingnabi.blogspot.ie/2012/08/googlie-booglie.html

Taken from the above website:
    "Apps for another Android device can be easily backed up and installed on the nabi 2 Tablet by following one of two methods.

1. Backing up with Google Drive!
    2. Wanting to Play! using App Backup & Restore + Micro SD Card."

Also it has been rooted and Play store installed when rooted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1905674

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭biebiebie

kenyard wrote: »
    also by "kids" an age range would have been decent.
    you will find most 8-12 year olds will figure out things faster than us older generation nowadays and be teaching you a thing or two in a few days :D
    8-12 age range, I'll be buying more than 1. I reckon a decent looking "normal" tablet with a good protective cover might be the way to go.

I'm doing plenty of research, will let you know what I decide on when my mind is made up.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming.

babygirlz wrote: »
    I am veering towards the Nabi 2 for my 7 year old, it is expensive but the reviews are very good.

The Nabi 2 is really well speced all right. Top of the kids 7" tabs by the looks of it.

However a limited store with apps chosen by other mums and dads? I rather be able to make that choice myself rather than be limited by others opinions. That aspect puts me right off.

Yes I could root it and install the full Google Play etc. However I reckon I'd be better off buying a normal tablet in the first place.

Have a shortlist I'm researching, with two different ones in mind (two different ages so perhaps two different tabs).

Think I'll be avoiding the kids tablet and going with cheaper / better options with protective covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

biebiebie wrote: »

The Nabi 2 is really well speced all right. Top of the kids 7" tabs by the looks of it.

However a limited store with apps chosen by other mums and dads? I rather be able to make that choice myself rather than be limited by others opinions. That aspect puts me right off.

Yes I could root it and install the full Google Play etc. However I reckon I'd be better off buying a normal tablet in the first place.

Have a shortlist I'm researching, with two different ones in mind (two different ages so perhaps two different tabs).

Think I'll be avoiding the kids tablet and going with cheaper / better options with protective covers.
    What 2 have you in mind? I think I will just buy a regular tablet for my daughter, she is almost 8 so I don't think she will get enough out of the Nabi eventhough it could be passed onto her sister.

biebiebie wrote: »

What 2 have you in mind? I think I will just buy a regular tablet for my daughter, she is almost 8 so I don't think she will get enough out of the rNabi eventhough it could be passed onto her sister.

Not sure if I should mention one of them on the Android forums as I'll probably receive a bombardment of replies denouncing my suggestion!

Anyhow one is the new Acer Iconia A110. Quad core, cameras, hdmi out, sd card slot, 7". About £180 / €223 on ebuyer. Looks like a very promising options. Expensive, but worth the additional €25 or so over the Nabi 2 imho.

I've also been trying out some parental control apps. Kids Place looks promising https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kiddoware.kidsplace

The second consideration is the dodgy one to mention on an Android forum**! The Blackberry Playbook is another option. Cheap price for a good piece of kit. The main disadvantage is the lack of apps on the market. Some of the Android apps can be side loaded though. Probably best for surfing and watching movies rather than as a games machine due to that aspect. You can buy in the likes of PC World.

** Apologies in advance to Android purests ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

If your lookin for a cheaper option ive just ordered one of these, should have it in a few days express delivery!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ONDA-VI10-Elite-capacitive-compatible/dp/B007HZHOT6/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1349816428&sr=1-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

sohappy wrote: »
    If your lookin for a cheaper option ive just ordered one of these, should have it in a few days express delivery!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ONDA-VI10-Elite-capacitive-compatible/dp/B007HZHOT6/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1349816428&sr=1-1

Hi, I'd appreciate a quick review of this item if you get a chance. Thanks! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My 7 year old girl has been messing around with my Nexus 7 and loves it, i asked her if she wanted a Nabi and she said no she wants a Nexus 7, needless to say my 10 year old son loves the Nexus 7 also.

Advertisement