Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exhaustion during first 12 weeks...

Options
  • 06-12-2010 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

I have been exhausted for the past two or three weeks - never been this tired in my life. Everything I had been reading said it was completely normal to be feeling this way.

I went to the doctor this morning (not my usual one - another one at the clinic) and he seemed to think my exhaustion was very odd. He said at 8 weeks it would have nothing to do with the pregnancy - and checked my temperature & blood pressure. When these were fine he just said its really odd you shouldnt be feeling any different at this stage.

I'm really confused and upset now. Honest to god I am exhausted. I have been feeling like this for the last two or three weeks and was thinking it was fairly normal - but the doctor was so unsupportive & unhelpful. He just said there is no reason for me to be feeling like this and I felt like he was as much saying it is all in my head. I actually cried when I got back into the car because of the way he just seemed to think I was making it up.

So I am not asking for medical advice but is it normal to be absolutely exhausted at this stage? Should I make another appointment with my regular doctor? I feel really stupid and frustrated now, but I just wanted them to say it was normal and offer a little advice with how to deal with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

I was feeling the same myself at that stage I am currently 16wks (YAY)

I has bad morning sickness on top of been shattered ALL the time I use to take naps on my lunch breaks and once I got home from work at half 5 then be in bed for 9 and sleep till 7 its totally normal and Im surprised your GP was so misinformative to you? at 8wks alot can be going on I was sick all day and night!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ha! What an eejit that doc was. Of course you can be exhausted this early. What planet is he living on?! I was destroyed from the second Implantation occurred up to 14 weeks. In fact I was so tired I knew to test as I had never felt like that before.

As for not feeling any different at all at 8 weeks? Oh my god, I would have probably thrown up there and then from the crushing morning sickness I had at 8 weeks.

Make sure to tell your usual doc of this tomfoolery.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

God I was like that at week 7.. I remember we went to a wedding and I had to go up to our hotel room straight after the meal, couldn't move off the bed, felt like I had the flu for weeks, so achy and tired.. It's normal..

Congrats btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Little My wrote: »
    I went to the doctor this morning (not my usual one - another one at the clinic) and he seemed to think my exhaustion was very odd. He said at 8 weeks it would have nothing to do with the pregnancy - and checked my temperature & blood pressure. When these were fine he just said its really odd you shouldnt be feeling any different at this stage.

I'm guessing that he is childless, and possibly sister-less too. With extreme tiredness being one of main symptoms experienced by ALL women during the first trimester he's clearly not someone that pregnant women should be going to for treatment.

I have never in all my life been as tired as I was for the first 11 weeks of this pregnancy. All I wanted to do was sleep. I had no morning sickness, none of the other possible symptoms... but the tiredness...

Try to get as much rest as you can. Take naps when you need to. It gets better in the second trimester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭PopUp

Little My wrote: »
    Should I make another appointment with my regular doctor?

I definitely would, and I would tell him/her what the other doctor said. Tiredness is a completely normal and expected feeling at your point in pregnancy and it's bizarre he didn't seem to realise that. Your regular doctor should be aware of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Tiredness is a documented fact of pregnancy and especially in the first 12 weeks, I am at 11 wks now and it's not too bad but from week 5 - week 9, I was always exhausted. This doctor should not be allowed to treats patients by the sound of it. Definitely book another appointment with your regular doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Omg, that doctor sounds like a complete idiot. Extreme tiredness us one of the strongest early symptoms of pregnancy. I was completely wiped from 6-11 weeks. It took every bit of strength I had to get to the bus, get off the bus and get home. Once home I collapsed into the sofa for the evening. Every day was a struggle. Once I hit 11weeks I just felt instantly better but nothing could've prepared me for that level of tiredness.

I'm sorry you came across such an
    idiot of a doctor. You're perfectly normal so don't be worrying too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

On both my girls I just used to sleep as much as I could. On number 1 I'd get home from work and nap, get up at 8pm and be back in bed for 9pm and sleep through. On number 2 it lasted a lot longer than the first trimester but that was only because I was looking after a baby too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Yep your doctor is an idiot
    I was wrecked for the first 3 months grand for the next 3/4 and am now exhausted again
    Pregnancy is such fun :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMoore

Hope you're able to get lots of rest if you're feeling that knackered! I was so so so tired the first 10-11 weeks... I had just started a new job teaching preschool, getting up at 6.45am (after a summer off!) and didn't know i was pregnant, and blamed it on the new job for the first 6 weeks or so...then found out I was pregnant, and realised that probably had something to do with it to! I'd be going to bed at 7.30pm, and my eyes would be dropping during the day. Now at 16 weeks, I'm managing 10.30pm regularly, and even the occasional midnight weekend! Fun times...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

As I'm reading the posts on this thread....I'm fighting to keep my eyes open. It's home to bed for an hour for me straight after work. Not sleeping well either which isn't helping....up to the toilet every few hours!
    However from what others have said here, I'm hoping that next week I'll feel better....(11 weeks on Saturday)!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Wow what a tool!!
    The ONLY symptom I had in first tri was COMPLETE exhaustion, set in before I even knew I was pregnant and the reason I remember is cause it was xmas eve, I must have just been 3 or 4 weeks gone (had an implantation bleed and thought it was a period) we were having visitors over at 7 or 8 and at 6pm I fell fast asleep on the couch!!! Thought I had developed narcolepsy :D Didn't find out I was pregnant until news year's day :eek: what a relief I didn't know what was up... 2 years later and I'm still wrecked but that's cause our little monkey is teething and keeps waking up at night... but that's a whole other thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Its pretty normal. I was narcoleptic in the first trimester, falling asleep mid sentence, sitting up, you name it.

Advertisement