Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14/15 weeks pregnant - no heartbeat found with doppler

Options
  • 30-11-2010 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Have had a scan at 9 weeks and everything looked grand, went to Gp today for check up and she couldnt find the heartbeat but she wasnt worried. But as soon as i left the office I've started to fret a bit. I know its hard at this stage as they are so small and the hand held dopplers arent the greatest but it hasnt stopped me freaking out a little. Next check up/scan isnt until 20 weeks, 6 weeks down the line. Not sure what to do. Try and forget about it, or maybe go back to the doc in a few weeks and try again? Thanks :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If you are worried, go to A+E or phone your gynacologist and call to see him/her. You need to have your mind at ease and you cannot wait 6 weeks for this peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Redpunto wrote: »
    Have had a scan at 9 weeks and everything looked grand, went to Gp today for check up and she couldnt find the heartbeat but she wasnt worried. But as soon as i left the office I've started to fret a bit. I know its hard at this stage as they are so small and the hand held dopplers arent the greatest but it hasnt stopped me freaking out a little. Next check up/scan isnt until 20 weeks, 6 weeks down the line. Not sure what to do. Try and forget about it, or maybe go back to the doc in a few weeks and try again? Thanks :confused:

Heart beat only starts to be heard at about 14 weeks pending the babies position within the uterus. It is quite normal not to hear in at this time. Since the doctor said nothing you should not fret.

However if you are truly worried you can seek a second opinion.:)

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

It wouldn't be unusual to not be able to pick up the heartbeat at this stage. Baby still has lots of room to get into positions that would make it awkward to detect, and if you have a little bit of extra padding, this can also make it difficult to pick up! I have my own doppler and found also that if the batteries were running low, the doppler would still work but would'nt be as sensitive.

I'm sure everything is fine, but if you are worried then go back to your gp. No point worrying over nothing.

So long as you have no bleeding or cramping and your waistline is expanding, I'm sure there is nothing to worry about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

This happened to me at my 14 week appointment too - very disappointing, but there was nothing wrong.I suspect the battery was low in the machine. If you're worried, though, why not pop in again and ask the doctor to try again in a week or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Same thing happened to me, despite nurse and doctor both trying. Doctor said it was nothing to worry about, but I think it's natural to worry. He offered I could come back in a few days for just a quick heartbeat check if I wanted, maybe you could ring tomorrow and ask if they could fit you in? Easier than going to A&E...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Very similar to my self and the other half. We got one of them at around 10 weeks (I was a bit too excited) but we never heard a heart beat all the way up to the 40 week mark - we went on the little ones movements. It might be that the doppler might not be strong enough to pick up the babys heart yet.

Would follow with the rest, go to your local GP if you are worried, they should be able to fit you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

It happened in Galway that they could not find a heartbeat, it was due to faulty equipment. The Doctor in question got alot of bad press and in reality is a very good doctor(from what I have heard). In any case this may have happened you. Some equipment is not what it should be.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1286226/Surgeon-linked-major-childbirth-negligence-cases-regrets.html

Hope all works out okay

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

you will be fine. but ring the maternity hospital say your feeling stressed over it and go and get a scan. That is what they are there for. Im am sure evrything will be ok though the same thing happened o me at my doctors. But i still think if its worrying you it be better for you and baby to nip in and get a scan. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Nicki123

It's perfectly natural to be worried but it's also perfectly normal for the doppler not to be able to pick up the heartbeat at 14/15 weeks. My doc tried at 16 weeks and couldn't get it but she assured me that she would have been more surprised if she had found it at that stage.

Try not to fret but if you're genuinely worried you can present at the A&E of your maternity hospital and ask for a scan or you can arrange to have a private scan done, but of course you'll have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Thanks guys, rang the maternity hospital yesterday and the midwife has booked me in for a scan for reassurance on Monday so dont have to wait too long :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

My GP wouldn't use the doppler with me until 18 weeks. she said mostly you can't hear it before this and its too upsetting for mums if they can't find it...so i wouldn't worry too much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Hi there - had my scan and everything grand :D Looked like an alien sucking its thumb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Great news :D

You must be very relieved! No amount of everyone telling you that everything is ok is good enough until you get that bit of reassurance :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Awe that's great news :D

Advertisement