Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation Game Reviews

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/57-Painkiller

Theres the latest one, site is having problems though :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

that was cool, I have painkiller might give it a go again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I really liked that one, its him back on form clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Really worth the wait. Very funny this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

kill some d00ds!!!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

v. good review.

Huzzah, shurikens & lightning!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

See? "Jump the Shark" indeed; that was very funny & shows that Yahtzee's best when he gets to review what he really wants to

my only worry is that it says at the end he's been sitting on that review for four months...maybe this review was before the *shark*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I love reading the text bits at the end.

"Keep going on about Mario Kart mother****ers, it only strengthens my resolve"

• Advertisement

well I loaded up painkiller and it is a pretty kickass game, just completed the first 3 levels and will defo play through it all, have to say the box is way cool though -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pkbox.jpg there it is there, it opens up to reveal three disks each with a cool pick of a baddie on each disk and behind each disk, it's defo one of the best boxes I have, don't know why others don't put as much effort into the box.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yahtzee?

Reviewing a JRPG?

Has the world gone MAD? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good schtuff. Challenge Anneka! And love the sub in the credits "Hang on haven't we used this somewhere before" :p

And I still think I will be ordering the game very soon.

I find it funny even though I never heard of the game :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yeah good review. he always manages to hit the nail on the head whether ppl like it or not

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Ooh. I hated Oblivion (and every other RPG ever made).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Very funny stuff... just started Oblivion and agree with alot of his comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Very good, much better than last week's which I wasn't too gone on. Pretty much agreed with his sentiments as well, which doesn't always happen (even though I usually laugh my ass off anyway).

I loved the paragraph on immersion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,729 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah theres plenty to rant about in Oblivion and Yhatzee does a fine job. Spent many hours with that game (too many) but its insanely flawed: damn voice actors.

Plus <3 The Kinks.

• Advertisement

good review, not too fond of oblivion myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Disclaimer: I liked Oblivion.

His review doesn't really say anything that any of the other legit reviews didn't point out in the first place. Yes it is a little bland in places and they should have hired more actors etc but then we knew that.

Oblivion gets real good towards the end. It's fiendishly addictive, has a great score and combat system and offers more customisation than you can shake a stick at. And then there's the add-ons, side quests etc. All in all it's a deep game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh i got sick of the main quest in oblivion very quickly and the NPCs did my head in by and large, especially the extras. i cracked up when i saw that f***in crab conversation show up in yahtzees review, that did my head in.

*roots out oblivion disc again all the same*

Yeah I liked Oblivion as well, but most of Yahtzee's criticisms are fair. Good video & his usual funny self (I liked the Thief reference :D ). It should be interesting, with those criticisms in mind, how Fallout 3 will stack up considering it's by the same crowd (with the same engine by the looks of things)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Many of his criticisms of Oblivion are valid but it doesn't sound like he played the game to any great depth. He did the same with The Witcher, fobbed it off after playing it for a short spell.

Still he is here to entertain first and succeeds for the most part. Though he is spot on about JRPGs ...they usually are generic and shite.

Couldn't get into oblivion.. theres just to much. As always though it had me laughing!!

Barely started oblivion myself but great review :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I personally loved Oblivion. Played it all night the first day i got it, with a friend playing it as well in the next room. There was so much to do, and the graphics were flippin amazing. Looking forward to hearing what he has to say later.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I also found Oblivion a bit meh. It just felt clunky and boring. If it had the combat of Dark Messiah without the bugs it would have been better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I thought I was the only one who couldn't get into that game, out of the 18 months I have it I've only played about 3 or 4 hours on a wet winters day and couldn't stick with it anymore. I think that's his whole point about immersion, it felt like a chore to do anything in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Having never played morrowind when i got oblivion i was amazed by the big, totally free-to-roam world and ended up playing for about 200 hours(still wasnt finished), with an fx5200 (lol). I loved it so much.

But after i got a new gfx card i went back to replay it and although it looked great id done it all before so i just stopped playing.

he brings up vaild points such about the npc dialogue and the world seeming very copy+paste after a while. like it didnt feel like a real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

He's right, you know, Oblivion was just too much effort for too little reward. Every now and again I start it up just to see if it catches me this time, but I always end up getting bored and quitting. Whereas with Morrowind I start up, play for a while, and suddenly it's 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

A repeat this week of the console rundown from a few months ago. If you're hungry for Yahtzee (that sounded less gay in my head) check out the second australain gamer podcast to feature Yahtzee:
    http://www.australiangamerpodcast.com/mp3/Australian_Gamer_Podcast_123.mp3

He's just as funny as in ZP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

out of stock, must be popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Very funny.

That Unforgotten Realms thing at the end was dreadful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It was pretty good. I don't get the things they have at the end. I think it changes everytime you play it, but everyone of them is ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't know, I got a thing called "Drawn by Pain" which was pretty cool.

• Advertisement

They're just random other video articles that the site seems to produce. I guess someone's possibly getting a tad fed up with Yahtzee getting all the plaudits and attention!

As for the latest ZP production, it was quite funny; though my self-imposed ignorance of this game left me cold to his various jokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

New Zero Punctuation today: Metal Gear Solid 4

Excellent review :D

Not a fan per se of MGS but doesn't detract from the review. Bang on form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah one of his better ones, full of vitriol :)

Very funny stuff, and no doubt is well prepared for the backlash from Kojima apologists; that man is in serious need of an editor as Yahtzee mentions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Higgins113

Man that MGS$ one was teh funnehs:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That was a pretty good one. It's nice to see my sentiments of the game in animated form :D

kaimera wrote: »
    Excellent review :D

Not a fan per se of MGS but doesn't detract from the review. Bang on form!

I am a fan of the MGS games, and even by my standards MGS4 is stretching it in alot of areas that yahtzee hit bang on (review pending completion)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

I was too lazy to look through the 15+ pages of crap here so I'll just chip in with my contribution:
    "I, being White enough to afford all of the consoles..."

Ahhh, political incorrectness to the highest degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

andgoodbye wrote: »
    I was too lazy to look through the 15+ pages of crap here so I'll just chip in with my contribution:
    "I, being White enough to afford all of the consoles..."

Ahhh, political incorrectness to the highest degree
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_collar

although id imagine it was done to get just the reaction you made :)

good review, I guess I won't be rushing out to buy a ps3 to play this

• Advertisement
Advertisement