Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Escapist : Zero Punctuation Game Reviews

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I thought it was very funny, and a good cold shower for all the rampant Nintendo-love that goes on. People almost fall over themselves to give off about EA constantly churning out the same old IP every year, yet Nintendo do it almost more brazenly and people lap it up.

The blatent pimping of the game store was funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

pixelburp wrote: »
    I thought it was very funny, and a good cold shower for all the rampant Nintendo-love that goes on. People almost fall over themselves to give off about EA constantly churning out the same old IP every year, yet Nintendo do it almost more brazenly and people lap it up.

*facepalm*

Anyway, i didn't care much for this one, probably the fact that it starts off going "i don't want to do this, so heres this five minutes of stuff that has a faint hint of brawl, but really i don't want to do this. Did i mention i don't want to do this" and after that it felt like he'd seen the game once, possibly in a book somewhere, and was just winging it.

I don't mind it when he tears a game that i like a new one, like the phantom hourglass review, but at least that centred around the game itself and it's flaws, where as this skipped going near the game just to have yet another go at nintendo, a rant which hasn't changed since the phantom hourglass review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Ah but the difference is that Nintendo's games are generally at least half decent. Also I don't think people are as quick to lap up the **** like Mario Party 6000 as you think.

Personally I'd rather their old IPs than the newer ones like Wii Fit and watchamacallit training. D=

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Davidius wrote: »
    Ah but the difference is that Nintendo's games are generally at least half decent. Also I don't think people are as quick to lap up the **** like Mario Party 6000 as you think.

Personally I'd rather their old IPs than the newer ones like Wii Fit and watchamacallit training. D=
    Well Yahtzee clearly doesn't think they're all great ;) I think the point he's trying to make, albeit through graphics and vulgarisms, is that as the consumer, gamers should demand more of Nintendo than habitual updates to their IPs. I mean I love love love Mario Kart, but at this stage, I couldn't care less for MK Wii. Big whoop, give me something new. Sure when's the last time you saw a new Mickey Mouse cartoon? Even Disney know to rest their mascots a little. Keep 'em fresh.

Anyway, it's a powder keg mixed with a can of worms, this Nintendo talk. So I'll just back away slowly, keeping eye contact at all times :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I watched a heap of ZP reviews last night and haven't laughed as much in ages. The guy should get a medal or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

My favourite game reviewer without a shadow of a doubt.
    The guy is a hero!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I particularly like the quote from his website:
    'Smash Brothers Brawl this week, of all things; I hope you enjoy it as much as I've been enjoying the reaction.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hah, I like the text at the very end :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Excellent this week! Yahtzee addresses the hate-mail he received after the Smash Brothers Brawl review :)

Excellent this week! Yahtzee addresses the hate-mail he received after the Smash Brothers Brawl review :)

DON'T BUMP WITHOUT A LINK!!!:mad::mad:

Have to go find it my self now *mumble*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/4878-Zero-Punctuation-Mailbag-Showdown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ha! He completely destroyed those hate mailers. who the hell would even go out of their way to hate mail Zero Puncuation?

Kudos Yhatzee, kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats the funniest shit I have ever seen from Yahtzee. I laughed ALOT during that. Fair play to him. Loved the way he corrected the punctuation, and the little Gamespot dig. :)

Ha! He completely destroyed those hate mailers. who the hell would even go out of their way to hate mail Zero Puncuation Punctuation?
    Sorry. Blame Yahtzee. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

whats his email addy, I want to propose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    DON'T BUMP WITHOUT A LINK!!!:mad::mad:

Have to go find it my self now *mumble*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/4878-Zero-Punctuation-Mailbag-Showdown

Pfft. Bookmark ftw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr E wrote: »
    Sorry. Blame Yahtzee. :)

:pac:
    Oh by the way, loved his line about being "white" enough to afford all the consoles. Biting!

Damn you all to hell with your watching it.

Another night of frustration trying to get the clip to load.

Well, that one wasn't funny.

Honestly, cherry-picking the worst of his email inbox and making fun of the ramblings that are within?
    Is it 1996 again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Quality review this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

it was alright funniest bit was the console comparison to dogs and the comparsion of the 360 as "a dependable all rounder that only ocassionally p*sses itself and dies" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I actually quite liked it. I loved the way he kept correcting the grammar and it shows up some of the weirdo fanboys who feel it's their duty to complain about someones opinion. Oh, I also loved the phrase "the Guantanamo Bay approach to reviewing" :D

Very biting, and to be honest, it was ALWAYS going to happen. If what he says is true, he gets truckloads of spam mail sent his way every week from near-illiterate nubbins; it was only a matter of time before he snapped & well, snapped back. As it happens, I agree 100% with his attitudes towards Nintento, and knew he'd get some serious flak for laying into one of its sacred cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I liked it. People need to get over game reviews and treat them as guide. I know people who buy games based on reviews to only be disappointed, especially when they were gamespot reviews :pac:

Yahtzee for president of teh interwebs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

He is actually the biggest legend ever.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Love the line about gamespot employees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Quality viewing this week.

Although I would have preferred a game review. Picking holes in the Nintendo fanboys arguments was a bit too easy for Yahtzee really, it wasn't as funny as the actual original review.

• Advertisement

steviec wrote: »
    Although I would have preferred a game review

AFAIK its GTA next week so he would of needed something to fit into this week. GTA's not really something you complete in a week.

Plus endless weekly reviews can get a bit boring, especially if you're not obstensibly interested in the game itself (like last weeks "Chains of Olympus" one). It's nice to break the habit & serve up something new. I wonder if he finds the time these days to make any more indie games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

I liked the line about reviews shouldn't annoy you if you like the game.

The only reason they'd annoy you was if you had a niggling feeling, somewhere beyond your fawning 'fanboiosity' that... maybe... you... don't... enjoy it.

Nice one Yahtzee, tell those fanbois how it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Not quite as enthusiastically vitriolic as he can be! Funny, but certainly not in the "he didn't just say that, did he?" manner he generally is. Perhaps this is another case of a game he *has* to review, rather than one he wants to.

hes jumped the shark with this one. It wasn't funny nor controversial, it was just "meh". Definitely one his weakest reviews imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, that wasn't up to much at all. Seemed incredibly short too.

Well, he did have to get back to playing GTA :pac:

L31mr0d wrote: »
    hes jumped the shark with this one. It wasn't funny nor controversial, it was just "meh". Definitely one his weakest reviews imo.
    How can one jump the shark after one bad episode? To be fair, he has had some duff reviews before & tended to jump back.

I mean c'mon, it helps when he really *hates* a game :D

jesus, that was awful, worse than the smash bros one for the whole "i can't be arsed" vibe.

Funniest piece were the lines at the end that said "Systematically alienating every kind of fanboy" and "I'm never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever going to review Mario Kart Wii" :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

it wasn't that bad, I wouldn't consider it time badly spent

I enjoyed it, then again I haven't played GTA4 yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

The impression I got from the review was that he actually liked the game, and seemed to be making a half hearted attempt at picking out flaws since thats what he does, especially with something as mainstream as GTA.

Definitely not his best though.

How can one jump the shark after one bad episode? To be fair, he has had some duff reviews before & tended to jump back.

I mean c'mon, it helps when he really *hates* a game :D

GTA IV is a big game, if hes going to review it he'd better be damn sure he either knows what he's talking about and hates it or makes it ridiculously hilarious. This review sounds like he played till the second safe house then did his review. I really hate when people don't complete a game before they review it. Plus saying the cops are easy is a joke. The cops are harder in this game than any previous GTA.

I will usually forgive his errors when reviewing games because he intersperses them with hilarious similes. But this week felt half arsed and wasn't really funny in the slightest imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Decent enough. All his reviews, even the "weak" ones have entertained me so I can't ask for too much more.

L31mr0d wrote:
    GTA IV is a big game, if hes going to review it he'd better be damn sure he either knows what he's talking about and hates it or makes it ridiculously hilarious. This review sounds like he played till the second safe house then did his review. I really hate when people don't complete a game before they review it. Plus saying the cops are easy is a joke. The cops are harder in this game than any previous GTA.

I will usually forgive his errors when reviewing games because he intersperses them with hilarious similes. But this week felt half arsed and wasn't really funny in the slightest imo.
    I don't think that's fair. A reviewer shouldn't have to finish a game just to be entitled to an opinion about it. I mean if a game from the beginning just isn't fun or enjoyable, does playing through to the end then legitimise that disappoint and/or frustration (Something tells me he didn't complete "Turok" or "Jericho")?

Reading between the lines, I think Yahtzee enjoyed GTA4, but not to the massive hysterical levels some people are. And generally, with some notable exceptions (Psychonauts for example), Yahtzees "positive" reviews are never as enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Am i missing something here? I click on the link but no video.

Video should load itself. Something is blocking it, adblock, noscript, work filters?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Reading between the lines, I think Yahtzee enjoyed GTA4, but not to the massive hysterical levels some people are. And generally, with some notable exceptions (Psychonauts for example), Yahtzees "positive" reviews are never as enjoyable
    +1 to this. He did enjoy the game and yet pointed out some of the flaws and so being a fan of the game, he didn't have the venom or zeal for the review that he might have for a game he didn't like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ballybay_eh

Mr E wrote: »
    Thats the funniest shit Loved the way he corrected the punctuation

The man's a genius. He was probably even correcting the punctuation ironically given that the piece is called Zero Punctuation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement