Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raw Land - Building Process

• 29-07-2014 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm considering purchasing around 3 acre of raw land for a high price (due to location from town and my eagerness to finally have my own decent piece of land).

I have time on my hands as I am in my early 20's, but I would also like to be very methodical and efficient with my labor so that I could live on the land as early on as possible.

I'm almost certain the building inspector here will not approve of me building a 'shop/garage' and living in it and then building the home. However, I am hoping I am allowed to build a garage for 'storage purposes' before erecting a house foundation and such. Once again, that may even not be permit-able. I have asked and am awaiting a response. My idea is that what isn't all defined won't hurt anyone as long as I keep a level head. This means, perhaps I would like a garage first if I can get the permit for it...and then once it's enclosed I may decide I want to include a bathroom...and maybe a little area for lounging, who knows maybe a little kitchen area? It's just a garage, though... I see nothing wrong with wanting a bathroom with plumbing features in a garage/shop building. The other parts would not be put in until after the sawdust settles. This may be a shot in the dark if I am not approved to have a garage before a residence on the property.

Anywho, I was wondering what suggestions you all have. This land is *raw* land...meaning it needs a lot of work. It is filled with several 15-20' dead elms, prairie grass, and it slopes gradual for about 200' and then stronger slope for the next 200'.

I would need 1.) electricity installed 2.)a decent entryway over the road-ditch and driveway 3.) a well drilled 4.) a septic system if I have a bathroom for the garage...otherwise it would come later on. the well is needed almost first thing so I can start my little orchard and windbreak/shelterbelt. once these 4 things are installed I could begin to think of the location of garage and house.

These 4 things plus the land will cost an easy $40,000 - The land is over half that cost to give a general idea.

Comments? Questions? Reassurance? Criticism? I'd just like to hear those who have experienced this...and their story. It is a very big purchase for me that I don't want to regret.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

This is an Irish website so I'm not sure you are going to get much help if you are in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AtypicNic

Yup! :D Lot of activity on this site, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

What's your question?

Sounds like very early days for your project and I would suggest that you need to discuss this with a local architect before you blow a load of dollar on this.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

This is an Irish site. thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement