Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falcarragh information

Options
  • 10-07-2014 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, Arranging an itinerary at the moment, for a visit including Falcarragh.
    Does the following road still exist - the Old Road to Letterkenny, Crossroads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Would this be the Bridge of Tears Road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 b_ferry

Thanks for your suggestion. I found the address in the Griffiths Valuation 1857. Unfortunately it's proving difficult to locate other historical records prior to that date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

b_ferry wrote: »
    Thanks for your suggestion. I found the address in the Griffiths Valuation 1857. Unfortunately it's proving difficult to locate other historical records prior to that date.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for.
    Crossroads is the old Irish name for Falcarragh, a direct translation from "Na Crois Bhealaigh".
    The traditional road to Letterkenny would have been the R256, pre motorised transport, which is what I assume you're looking for, also known as the back of Muckish road. It still exists.
    There is a droichead na caointe, or bridge of tears on that road. There is also one on the R252, which this road branches onto. The reason being that emigrants from Cloughaneely were accompanied to the bridge on the r256 by relatives, whereas emigrants from gweedore were accompanied to the bridge on the r252.
    I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 b_ferry

Thanks for your informative advice. I had ancestors living in Crossroads around the 1850's. They were recorded as tennants of a property at that location in the GV 1857 & owned by a Rev Nixon.
    The siblings emigrated to Australia under the Donegal Relief Fund in 1859. Apparently my GGGGF died in the Dunfanaghy workhouse in the mid 1860's. That would probably have ended my family links with Donegal. We are visiting Donegal later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

the location your looking for is the road heading south from falcarragh past the fire station. See the old map here for the approximate location of where youre looking for from a 19th century map.

Today, its all new houses on that road, don't think you'll be able to find a particular old house, if that's what you are looking for. Plenty of Ferry's in that area however who may be able to help, assuming that your username relates to your actual name.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

It's actually highly unlikely that there weren't relatives remaining,despite the fact that the siblings emigrated.
    Ferry is a very common name in this area, as retalivity said.

I don't know whether you're interested in tracing far-flung relatives, though?
    Or are you just interested in seeing any potential remains of the old home? (Unlikely, though possible if the house was in the town itself, or may remain as an outhouse if it was a bit removed from the town.)

I don't suppose you know the name of a townland, if your ancestors lived on the outskirts of the town?

Advertisement