Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade from Desire HD?

• 03-12-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

I've had a Desire HD with Vodafone for the past 2 years, so am due for an upgrade, plus cracking the screen last week has accelerated the process a bit :(

Haven't really been keeping up, bit bamboozled by the options.
    Looking for a bill pay 18 month contract, spending 150, maybe 200 up front.
    Been 6 weeks arguing with VF over them mucking up my last upgrade, so not tied to them.
    From what I can see Meteor seem to have the cheapest plans and phones, though maybe not the best range.
    (Also, my DHD wasn't Vodafone branded - would prefer no network branding if possible).

I'm very slightly biased towards HTC since I'm used to it, plus OH has one so it's handy sharing chargers, but given I want to do some development a change of brand wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm gathering the Desire X is about the current equivalent of the DHD, but with a dual core processor?
    Other options that stand out are the Xperia P (odd screen res?) or T, or maybe the S3 mini.
    Any thoughts on these, or alternative suggestions?
    Or even something from last year/early this year that I could keep an eye out for second hand?

tl;dr: Looking for Android recommendations for about 150-200 up front, bill pay on any network.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

MOH wrote: »
    I've had a Desire HD with Vodafone for the past 2 years, so am due for an upgrade, plus cracking the screen last week has accelerated the process a bit :(

Haven't really been keeping up, bit bamboozled by the options.
    Looking for a bill pay 18 month contract, spending 150, maybe 200 up front.
    Been 6 weeks arguing with VF over them mucking up my last upgrade, so not tied to them.
    From what I can see Meteor seem to have the cheapest plans and phones, though maybe not the best range.
    (Also, my DHD wasn't Vodafone branded - would prefer no network branding if possible).

I'm very slightly biased towards HTC since I'm used to it, plus OH has one so it's handy sharing chargers, but given I want to do some development a change of brand wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm gathering the Desire X is about the current equivalent of the DHD, but with a dual core processor?
    Other options that stand out are the Xperia P (odd screen res?) or T, or maybe the S3 mini.
    Any thoughts on these, or alternative suggestions?
    Or even something from last year/early this year that I could keep an eye out for second hand?

tl;dr: Looking for Android recommendations for about 150-200 up front, bill pay on any network.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

When you say the desire x I presume you mean the htc onex ?If so its a great phone.
    I started with the Desire HD and upgraded to the Onex and I can tell ya you wont be disapointed,its a great phone and the build quality is superb.
    I just bought the phone straight out and I dont like contracts and if you want to go that way im sure you can get a good model on adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

There is a mid-range phone too called the desire x so it's not the same as the one X flagship. I'm not sure but I reckon you could get any android phone out there for €200 if you sign an 18 month contract depending on the plan. Check out the galaxy S3 as well as the HTC oneX mentioned above, those are the top two at the moment. If you find them too big there's the HTC one S or the Motorola razr i.

On your point about sharing chargers with the wife, most phones (except iphones) use that same connector now (micro usb) so I wouldn't worry about sticking with HTC just for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

When you say the desire x I presume you mean the htc onex ?If so its a great phone.
    I started with the Desire HD and upgraded to the Onex and I can tell ya you wont be disapointed,its a great phone and the build quality is superb.

It was the mid-range Desire X I'd been talking about.
    But came across the One X+ just after posting, been checking it out since, looks pretty good. Not entirely clear what the difference between it and the non-+ version is though, apart from a slightly better chip and camera - I've seen conflicting reports of the specs.

EGriff wrote: »
    Check out the galaxy S3 as well as the HTC oneX mentioned above, those are the top two at the moment. If you find them too big there's the HTC one S or the Motorola razr i.

On your point about sharing chargers with the wife, most phones (except iphones) use that same connector now (micro usb) so I wouldn't worry about sticking with HTC just for that reason.

Found the S3 a bit too big alright, that's the only downside of the One X, nearly the same size. Must have a look at the razr, cheers.
    Interesting point about the chargers, hadn't realised that , thanks.

Advertisement