Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

That_Guy wrote: »
    133.jpg

Last time I checked Brazil, USA, Argentina and South Korea weren't involved in the EUROPEAN Championships.

Neither are the UK , Cameroon and Norway come to mention it. Tho there might be a few Brazilian ringers for nations short on attacking options.

There's more nations in that photo who aren't at the finals than are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Neither are the UK , Cameroon and Norway come to mention it. Tho there might be a few Brazilian ringers for nations short on attacking options.

There's more nations in that photo who aren't at the finals than are.

That shot with the faces was used by some company for an USA 94 advertisement, you can see it in the tournament's official magazine which I have a copy of. Wonder if they breached something by putting Poland 2012 over it?

EDIT: Found the old magazine - it was FUJI film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Does anyone know if the Panini Euro 12 sticker book is out in Ireland yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

cobijones wrote: »

Would that be the Adrenaline Excel one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,221 ✭✭✭✭briany

As for Ireland, I certainly have no doubt that the players will give it their maximum, whatever the results are. We might not be able to say the same for all other 15 countries.

Hopefully there's an execution to match the undoubted heart with which the players will play and not the soccer equivalent of :

tumblr_l2ys14gJQP1qc073co1_r2_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Would that be the Adrenaline Excel one?

No the actual sticker book, it has a purple cover. A friend of mine has it in France, havent seen it here yet, altough I havent looked far beyond the local centra , just wondering if anyone has it here yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

baz2009 wrote: »
    Finish the Leaving Cert the day Ireland play Spain. :cool:

I finished mine the day before Spain v Ireland the last time. Hopefully this will go one better!

Germany to win, one of the Spanish to be top scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Is there any actual times for these matches? Like are they during work hours, or later in the evening?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Afternoon and evening i'd say. Prefer evening games for Ireland. It could be very hot over there at that time of year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just looking at the schedule, provided, as expected, both Spain and Germany win their groups and progress to the final, Germnay will only have 2 days rest while Spain will have 3 days rest. Could be the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

They're not the be all and end off of predictors but I certainly find them valid and useful data.

For instance the classic is Greece in 2004. They went into the 2004 finals as rank outsiders purely because of their name. So despite the fact that they won their qualifying group (ahead of Spain!), beat Spain *in* Spain, and won their last 6 games in a row with 6 clean sheets not many rated them.

Basically they had been doing the business that won them the tournament right in the qualifying stage yet not many people appeared to register it because they'd lost their opening 2 games.

If there's any unfavoured team in the 2012 who has a good run of results in the 2nd half of qualifying with few goals conceded then I'd keep an eye them.

You'd need evidence from more than one tournament to prove it. Having said that I think a team in form has to be looked at closer though to a lesser extent than club football as each of the players will be coming into the team having had wildly different success or otherwise with their clubs.

As for qualifier form, including playoffs these were the best 6 teams in their last 4 games not including games against teams who finished last in the 6 team groups (unless they failed to beat them).

Spain
    Won4 GD 15-2
    Germany --- Won4 GD 15-5
    Denmark --- Won4 GD 10-2
    Italy
    Won3 GD 6-1
    Greece
    Won3 GD 6-2
    Russia
    Won3 GD 5-1

So maybe Denmark, Greece and Russia as dark horsers if you like them coming into the tournament winning. On a side note Ukraine are unbeaten in their last 5 friendlies.

dsmythy wrote: »
    You'd need evidence from more than one tournament to prove it. Having said that I think a team in form has to be looked at closer though to a lesser extent than club football as each of the players will be coming into the team having had wildly different success or otherwise with their clubs.

As for qualifier form, including playoffs these were the best 6 teams in their last 4 games not including games against teams who finished last in the 6 team groups (unless they failed to beat them).

Spain
    Won4 GD 15-2
    Germany --- Won4 GD 15-5
    Denmark --- Won4 GD 10-2
    Italy
    Won3 GD 6-1
    Greece
    Won3 GD 6-2
    Russia
    Won3 GD 5-1

So maybe Denmark, Greece and Russia as dark horsers if you like them coming into the tournament winning. On a side note Ukraine are unbeaten in their last 5 friendlies.

Denmark Euro 1992 is another famous one. They creeped into the finals in 1992 on a technicality and then won the tournament.

In a way their path matched Greece2004 almost perfectly. Poor start to qualifying followed by 5x wins including importantly beating their nearest rival away.

I always consider all finals games as 'away' games for both teams. So if a team has qualified purely on their home form then I don't give them a chance in the finals. However if a finalist has registered a win away to a tough team then I'd certainly consider them favourably as regardless of whatever their final points tally they've already proven they have what it takes to win a game in tough circumstances.

In one way I'm hopeful for Ireland precisely because our away form and and performances are markedly better than at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

THFC wrote: »
    Just looking at the schedule, provided, as expected, both Spain and Germany win their groups and progress to the final, Germnay will only have 2 days rest while Spain will have 3 days rest. Could be the difference.

I believe that this was subject to a study and that there is no obviou benefit to the extra day's rest before the tournament final.

G.K. wrote: »
    I believe that this was subject to a study and that there is no obviou benefit to the extra day's rest before the tournament final.

In fact Germany had more rest-time than Spain for both their 2008 final and 2010 semifinal meetings and still lost both times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

I really fear we'll lose all 3 games so much so that I'm tempted to put a bet on but I can't bring myself to do it for fear off an everlasting stain on my soul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Thank jaysus! All our games are 19:45 kick off!

I can now safely start applying for jobs! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭klose

I really fear we'll lose all 3 games so much so that I'm tempted to put a bet on but I can't bring myself to do it for fear off an everlasting stain on my soul.

Aaaahhh we won't we'll be grand sure :D

Still wouldnt be surprised if we make it out of the group though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

It's the first game, even thinking about it makes you nervous. It all hinges on that I think, once we don't lose the first game.

It's the first game, even thinking about it makes you nervous. It all hinges on that I think, once we don't lose the first game.

1 point out of a possible 9 wouldn't be too bad considering the group that's in it. 2 points would be a respectable achievement and anything beyond that would be a bonus. It's definitely within Ireland to get a result against Croatia. A win would be beyond amazing and by itself make the tournament a pretty successful one by Irish standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Anyone know any good bars to watch the Euros in NYC? The first time in ages when the times of matches are perfect, in the evening, and I'm in a far off timezone, where it will be around 3-4 in the morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Ireland beat Croatia
    Ireland beat or draw with Italy
    Ireland lose to Spain

Croatia lose to Ireland
    Croatia beat or draw with Italy
    Croatia lose to Spain

Italy lose or draw with Croatia (or beat them but ireland have a greater goal difference)
    Italy lose or draw with Ireland
    Italy lose to Spain

Spain win all their games

1.Spain 9pts
    2.Ireland 4/6pts
    3/4.Italy 0/4pts
    3/4.Croatia 0/3pts

Its probably the most realistic scenario where Ireland go through to the knock-out stages

Anyone know any good bars to watch the Euros in NYC? The first time in ages when the times of matches are perfect, in the evening, and I'm in a far off timezone, where it will be around 3-4 in the morning :(

If you'll be in NYC for the games then wouldn't it be 3-4 in the afternoon? I shouldn't imagine there'd be a shortage of demand in NYC for the Irish games considering the amount of emigrants and diaspora who live there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Might just put on a sneaky bet for Torres top scorer. He could very well turn it up even more between now and the end of the season, and if he does the same for Spain he'll be in with a great shot.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Had money on Germany since early 2011, and am still confident they'll do the business. Will have money on Gomez and Huntelaar top goalscorer as well.

France is worth a bet too IMO. Rate the squad, rate the coach... the results are good in the main, albeit maybe one too many draws.

There'll be many, many pubs/bars showing the footy. Lansdowne Road (near enough to Times Sq) or The Parlour (up the road, nearer to Central Park) are the ones I've frequented when I'm in NYC, recommend both. There's another one that my friends who live in the city swear by, that I'm yet to have been to and that's Nevada Smith's. But as I eluded to, there is so many pubs/bars that show soccer in NYC so you'll no doubt find a decent spot fairly comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

THFC wrote: »
    Might just put on a sneaky bet for Torres top scorer. He could very well turn it up even more between now and the end of the season, and if he does the same for Spain he'll be in with a great shot.

Not a hope.

djPSB wrote: »
    Not a hope.

Didn't think Milan Baros would score five in 2004. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

briany wrote: »
    If you'll be in NYC for the games then wouldn't it be 3-4 in the afternoon? I shouldn't imagine there'd be a shortage of demand in NYC for the Irish games considering the amount of emigrants and diaspora who live there.

Oh yeah, you're right, thought it would be the morning, got times wrong cheers!
    -Ade- wrote: »
    Had money on Germany since early 2011, and am still confident they'll do the business. Will have money on Gomez and Huntelaar top goalscorer as well.

France is worth a bet too IMO. Rate the squad, rate the coach... the results are good in the main, albeit maybe one too many draws.

There'll be many, many pubs/bars showing the footy. Lansdowne Road (near enough to Times Sq) or The Parlour (up the road, nearer to Central Park) are the ones I've frequented when I'm in NYC, recommend both. There's another one that my friends who live in the city swear by, that I'm yet to have been to and that's Nevada Smith's. But as I eluded to, there is so many pubs/bars that show soccer in NYC so you'll no doubt find a decent spot fairly comfortably.

That's great, thanks, will check them out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Had money on Germany since early 2011, and am still confident they'll do the business.

May I ask what odds you were given in 2011 for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Torres won't even be on the plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Anyone know the times of the Ireland games?

Hopefully all late evening.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Anyone know the times of the Ireland games?

Hopefully all late evening.
    Schedule is here

Ireland games are at 8.45 Polish time (+2)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Agree with the poster who said France. Dark horse material, Blanc has some good players and he has them playing. Beat England & Germany in friendlies recently. I'll be backing at 12/1

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Shame about Rossi. He's done knee in again and will miss the next 6 months and thus the Euros. He really hasn't had much luck this season.

Shame about Rossi. He's done knee in again and will miss the next 6 months and thus the Euros. He really hasn't had much luck this season.

I think I speak on behalf of the Irish nation when I say :

[crying] Poor Giuseppe! [crying]
    [weakly] Woo-hoo.[crying]
    [weakly] Woo-hoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Didn't think Milan Baros would score five in 2004. :P

I did ....had 30euro @33/1.....czech rep were in the weakest of groups and thought he was good value and for once i was right ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

briany wrote: »
    I think I speak on behalf of the Irish nation when I say :

[crying] Poor Giuseppe! [crying]
    [weakly] Woo-hoo.[crying]
    [weakly] Woo-hoo.

Errr no because i hate seeing any player suffer a serious injury....hope he makes a quick recovery he is a quality player.

markie29 wrote: »
    I did ....had 30euro @33/1.....czech rep were in the weakest of groups and thought he was good value and for once i was right ;)

Well done. I won with Klose at the WC a few years later.

Still, it would be foolish to completely write off Torres given his quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

cobijones

I did a back of the envelope and it would cost you 400 euro to fill in the sticker album if you just did it by buying packets, no swaps or direct buys.

Completing a Panini Sticker Album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This date 2 months from now we'll be playing Spain :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Paully D wrote: »
    This date 2 months from now we'll be playing Spain :cool:

And after the game, Spain will be saying "How the feck did we get beaten by Ireland".:D

cavedave wrote: »
    I did a back of the envelope and it would cost you 400 euro to fill in the sticker album if you just did it by buying packets, no swaps or direct buys.

Completing a Panini Sticker Album

Stickers are effectively 14p each nowadays? Wow! I collected Mexico 86 and whilst I'm generally not good for recalling the prices of stuff gone by I seem to vividly remember it was 20p for a pack of 6 (and that mailaways were generally in line with this price also). That's inflation for ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

kitakyushu

Stickers are effectively 14p each nowadays? Wow! I collected Mexico 86 and whilst I'm generally not good for recalling the prices of stuff gone by I seem to vividly remember it was 20p for a pack of 6 (and that mailaways were generally in line with this price also). That's inflation for ya!

How much was a mars bar at the time, about 20p? I can't have been theonly one who promised theyd buy a box of panini stickers when I was old. I'm such a sellout :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Schedule is here

Ireland games are at 8.45 Polish time (+2)

Plus 2 hours from Irish time? BBC has them all at 7:45pm Irish time :confused: Anyone know which for certain, seeing as some European countries got rid of daylight savings and all that (working out the times in Australia and how it factors into what time I go to work is a pain in the hole with the winter time, summer time differences and all that craic. But I had them all worked out that if it is 7:45 back home it is a nine hour gap of 4:45 kick offs. Mind you, seeing as it well could be the decider if we get lucky against either Spain or Croatia, not a chance I am going to work the day of the Italy match- could be the session of a lifetime if all goes well :pac: )

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/fixtures/8969190.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

........anyone? 8:45 in Poland seems awful late for a kick off tbh.

• Advertisement

........anyone? 8:45 in Poland seems awful late for a kick off tbh.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_2012

Pretty certain it will be 19.45 Irish time. Poland will be one hour ahead when you factor in the DST so yes, they will be kicking off at the relatively late time of 20:45 local time but we shouldn't complain as Central European Summer temperatures can get quite hot and I'd rather Ireland were playing these teams in early evening, when there's a chance of it being cooler, than the height of the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Anyone see that show on Setanta yesterday with Kenny Cunningham and Stephen Hunt? Good opinions on Euro 2012 from each of them, they really had me buzzing for it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/0417/317371-cox-feels-he-is-trapattonis-plans/

Cox seems to think he'll be there.

Does antone else feel violated by that picture?

tolosenc wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/0417/317371-cox-feels-he-is-trapattonis-plans/

Cox seems to think he'll be there.

Does antone else feel violated by that picture?

Cox has been a handy player for the side in fairness and probably deserves to make the squad but damn, I wouldn't be surprised if posters started attaching that picture to some of their posts when they wanted to indicate a humourous level of smugness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

x4ncoz.jpg

16k2c77.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement