Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy S2 €139 on Meteor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Derby1

Looks like they are out of stock on Galaxy s2's!!!

Hooray, all our phones are cheaper online
    Choose your colour

black.gif Black
    Out of stock

from €39.99 to €169.99 billpay_ico_help.gif

out-of-stock.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Free on three.ie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Two year contract on their cheapest plan though.

Only an extra 6 months compared to meteor.

Also, Assuming they won't make any changes to there contract terms in the next two years which voids it and you can cancel without penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Thor wrote: »
    Only an extra 6 months compared to meteor.

Also, Assuming they won't make any changes to there contract terms in the next two years which voids it and you can cancel without penalty.

If you're spending €40+ on your phone bill then three is good*. I don't spend anywhere near that so the meteor deal works out way better.

Cancel without penalty? As in you can get the phone for free and cancel the contract after a month? Seems unlikely unless they've seriously screwed up their Ts&Cs.

*Actually, I'm on three and they're ****e. The fact that they're a 3G only networks really screws with the data connection when you're going in and out of 2G only locations.

• Advertisement

Zab wrote: »
    If you're spending €40+ on your phone bill then three is good*. I don't spend anywhere near that so the meteor deal works out way better.

Cancel without penalty? As in you can get the phone for free and cancel the contract after a month? Seems unlikely unless they've seriously screwed up their Ts&Cs.

*Actually, I'm on three and they're ****e. The fact that they're a 3G only networks really screws with the data connection when you're going in and out of 2G only locations.

Yeah, It's been like that for awhile.
    Customer Notifications Regulations.
    "Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) Regulations 2003 an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification."

If you are a subscriber to the services affected by these changes and if you do not accept these changes you may cease to use the service without penalty by giving us written notice in accordance with Three's terms and conditions prior to the implementation date of the change.

They don't change the terms and conditions a lot, But if they make any changes to your contract at all. Then you are allowed to cancel the contract without penalty.

Yeah, It's been like that for awhile.

They don't change the terms and conditions a lot, But if they make any changes to your contract at all. Then you are allowed to cancel the contract without penalty.

Ah, I didn't understand what you meant when you first wrote it. That would be pretty handy but some research would be required to find out how likely it is.

Ah, I didn't understand what you meant when you first wrote it. That would be pretty handy but some research would be required to find out how likely it is.

I have cancelled my contract with three with it before. A lot of people have used it to get out of contracts with meteor last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

As per some of the threads about the meteor change in contract, you can cancel your contract if they change the terms, but they're within their rights to ask for their phone back if you're still within the original time frame of the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Free on three.ie!!

Hmmm...

Three - 'free' phone + 24 months x €40 on half a network = €960

Meteor - €139 + 12 months x €30 on a network that actually works = €499 (the phone itself costs more then this...)

• Advertisement

You think they haven't copped that? Any price drops are now 'opt-in' after the Meteor fiasco, and increases will be phased, they're not going to let hundreds of people walk away with their iPhones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Hmmm...

Meteor - €139 + 12 months x €30 on a network that actually works = €499 (the phone itself costs more then this...)

Went with meteor on the same deal for the SGS. 24 month contracts are lunacy. This time enxt year if you wanted to upgrade to the S3, with Meteor you could sell the S2 and use the money to buy the S3 on another 12 month contract. Whereas after the 24 month contract, the S2's value would be much lower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Hmmm...

1. It all depends on how many minutes/texts you need. 3 mobile give you 350 flexi units for that price and unlimited data. Meteor give you 200 mins, 200 texts and 1 GB data.

2. Meteors data service is appalling. You've basically got to be in a big town or city to get 3G coverage and even then it's hit and miss. 3G coverage with 3 mobile is excellent.

I switched from 3 to Meteor and its the worst decision I ever made. Can hardly ever get 3G coverage. 3 mobile's deal for 40 euro a month is a lot better than the Meteor deal

G1032 wrote: »
    1. It all depends on how many minutes/texts you need. 3 mobile give you 350 flexi units for that price and unlimited data. Meteor give you 200 mins, 200 texts and 1 GB data.
    + Unlimited Meteor-Meteor calls and texts, which should be taken into consideration. For existing meteor customers for example who already ave free calls and texts on PAYG, it's perfect.

G1032 wrote: »

2. Meteors data service is appalling. You've basically got to be in a big town or city to get 3G coverage and even then it's hit and miss. 3G coverage with 3 mobile is excellent.

I switched from 3 to Meteor and its the worst decision I ever made. Can hardly ever get 3G coverage. 3 mobile's deal for 40 euro a month is a lot better than the Meteor deal

My experience is the opposite - perfect service with Meteor and completely useless with Three, have a look at the Three forum to see just how many people are having problems, and it will get worse as the network becomes over-subscribed by punters flocking to claim their 'free' iPhones.
    Unlimited data? It's not much use if you're stuck on 2G.

With Three 350 flex units equates to 200 minutes of calls and 300 texts (or 250 minutes and 200 texts, whatever way you want to split it), so not a huge difference to Meteor.

24 months is a crazy term for a contract, and PAYG can work out better in the long run, as I have recently discovered - only pay for what you actually use and when you see a better deal? Just switch.

Still no stock.

Here's a related question: if I leave my payg three to take the above deal, brining my number with me, can I get a different number on the three sim to use the end of my credit?

Hmmm...

I'm sorry but to be honest, Having a Samsung galaxy S2 on meteor's network is just laughing at the fact it has HSDPA.

Three give you unlimited data, Something anyone with a smartphone will agree is amazing to have.

Also let's not forget the one free add-on

Which can be unlimited land line calls or an extra 150 evening and weekend calls.

The main argument is weather you want to have the Samsung galaxy S2 with a much better plan and unlimited data with three or less minutes on a poor 3g network with meteor.

Also you can always sell the Samsung galaxy s2 next year and upgrade to the S3 yourself.

Still no stock.

Here's a related question: if I leave my payg three to take the above deal, brining my number with me, can I get a different number on the three sim to use the end of my credit?

I don't think so, I may be wrong, But i any time anyone I know ported a number, They were told to use the credit before hand as credit will be gone!

I don't think so, I may be wrong, But i any time anyone I know ported a number, They were told to use the credit before hand as credit will be gone!

Yeah, that's what I figured. I've emailed three and will confirm when they respond.

I'm sorry but to be honest, Having a Samsung galaxy S2 on meteor's network is just laughing at the fact it has HSDPA.

Sorry, you've lost me, what does that ^ mean?

An I stand by what I said; two years is far to long to be tied to a network, especially one that has a habit of bumping people over to 2G and leaving them there.

If it works for you, great, but when it doesn't work so well it is a nightmare, and you may as well flush your €40 every month.

• Advertisement

Sorry, you've lost me, what does that ^ mean?

Meteors 3g speed's are terrible, Also there coverage is terrible.

I get great speeds with the SGS2 with three.ie, On meteor they are no better than dial up.

I get great speeds with the SGS2 with three.ie, On meteor they are no better than dial up.

:D It must be location or maybe even pot luck.... As mentioned earlier, my experience is the direct opposite.

I spent wasted over 4 months on Three and rarely saw 3G - two phones, two SIMS and every possible permutation of settings, since then I have tried every other network and for me Meteor has been the only consistent one in terms of service and data speeds.

I know it is said a lot on here, but it's worth mentioning again; anyone considering signing a contract should test for a few days/week with a SIM first, as you can see, there is no reliable way to tell what the service will be like otherwise.

That's why three give you the the 14 day's to get an idea of weather the coverage is good or bad.

In my experience, I have perfect 3g coverage with three.ie everywhere i go. Mainly Dublin but still.

My friends however suffer terrible 3g coverage with meteor and even when they have great 3g coverage the speed is still terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I find Meteors speeds good in areas of Co. Meath. Suppose it depends on where you are. Often over 7mb. 2.5mb at peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Derby1 wrote: »
    Looks like they are out of stock on Galaxy s2's!!!
    Hooray, all our phones are cheaper online
    Choose your colour
    Black
    Out of stock
    from €39.99 to €169.99 billpay_ico_help.gif
    Any rumours when/if it will be back in stock?

3 have confirmed this. I wonder if they're on slightly dodgy ground doing this. As far as I know they have to provide number portability. I don't intend to investigate though.
    Once the number is ported out, the account is automatically closed and cannot be reactivated with a different number. Any available credit in this case will be lost. Hence it is advisable to use the credit before porting out the number.

PrzemoF wrote: »
    Any rumours when/if it will be back in stock?

Customer service girl confirmed to me that shops would be willing to match the online price. Best to call them before hand to make sure they have it.

http://www.meteor.ie/store_locator/

Mezcita wrote: »
    Customer service girl confirmed to me that shops would be willing to match the online price. Best to call them before hand to make sure they have it.

http://www.meteor.ie/store_locator/

Thanks, but in store monthly price is +5 euro x 12 (or 18) months is 60 (or 90) quid.

In my experience, I have perfect 3g coverage with three.ie everywhere i go. Mainly Dublin but still.

3G doesn't penetrate into buildings as well as 2G does. This isn't 3's fault. However, because 3 don't operate their own 2G network, when you go into an area that doesn't get 3G your phone changes to vodafone's 2G network. This works fine, the problem is getting the phone to change back to 3G when it's available. This isn't a problem with a carrier that has both 2G and 3G, only when the phone has to actually change network to get 2G.

I can't comment on Meteor's 3G being slow or not, but I don't see why it would be.

I assume Meteor will unlock the S2 at the end of the contract?

• Advertisement

"Dear Mez

Thank you for your email.

Further to your query I can advise that currently the Samsung Galaxy S 2 is currently out of stock we are currently awaiting a delivery but cannot give a definite date as to when we will receive this. I can advise to check our online store for availability.

Regards,

Karen
    Customer Care Department
    Meteor Mobile Communications"

Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

im getting a replacement cos the battery on mine is bunched. fella out in pavilllions in swords told me there hopen to get them in tomorrow or saturday.

got my replacement this evening so they have them back in stock!!!

While the shops have them back in stock, the online store doesn't.

So in order to take advantage of the cheaper price you still need to get it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

30 is not bad but is that 200 mins and 200 texts a month ? would I still have my free calls and text too 085 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Asked about the cost at my local Meteor store,

180 euro for the phone, 35 a month for 12 months

i think wait for online stocks to replenish.

• Advertisement

Nibs05 wrote: »

Ask them to match the online price. When i was buyin mine they did. That was meteor in swords. Other stores willing to do it were henry street,blanch s.c,northside s.c. Omni and donaghmede s.c wouldnt do it.

cheers for letting me know that, might try Swords.

Do mind me asking if they required a deposit in the Swords branch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

the store should want 149.99 for the sgs2, i got one a few days ago but took it back a day later, waiting for the sensation... :P

BArra wrote: »
    the store should want 149.99 for the sgs2, i got one a few days ago but took it back a day later, waiting for the sensation... :P

Out of interest, why did you take it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Hey barra I looked at the galaxy s 2 today in carphone and the phone is huge too hold it has a impressive spec on it but very hard to handle in your hand.

It has a rectangle edges and just was not nice to handle.

What do you mean waiting for the sensation. what did you say when you were handing it back,. do you get the 7 days cooling off thing for it ?

Can you get the same deal for the Sensation ?
    BArra wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

just didnt like the samsung at all, didnt like how it felt in my hand. it also felt very fragile compared to the sensation. another badpoint was the wifi seemed quite bad on it for some reason

its system is of course different to htcs menus and i didnt like them at all

my current phone is a htc desire thats not rooted, so i have become familar with its own system, msging system, homescreens and what not

i knew i wouldnt get used to the samsung at all, i am a bit fickle like that i suppose

you get 14 days cooling off period so i just took it back and got a refund

i can only assume the sensation will be a similar priced deal

Back in the online store, but price has gone up from €139.99 to €169.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Still €139.99, ordered this morning for that price, if you go into the "choose a plan" the price is still €139.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

That may depend on which option you chose - I upgraded from PAYG to Bill Pay and was €169.99 for me on 4th of July when I ordered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

Thinking about getting this phone and switching from PAYG to the €30 a month plan.

Just wondering how easy it is to unlock the s2 on billpay as i will be over and back to the uk a fair bit and will probably put an orange sim in now and again (if i can)

Cheers

mac09 wrote: »
    Just wondering how easy it is to unlock the s2 on billpay...
    Very easy. Give Customer Care on a call 1905 and they will unlock it for you.

O2 PAYG to Meteor Billpay - 139.99 on 35 smart plan for 30 euro/month. Bought yesterday :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

O2 PAYG to Meteor Billpay - 139.99 on 35 smart plan for 30 euro/month. Bought yesterday :D
    Are you me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

I've ordered it too. Have you received confirmation? Let us know when you receive the phone or contract. Did you need a security deposit?

marathonic wrote: »
    I've ordered it too. Have you received confirmation? Let us know when you receive the phone or contract. Did you need a security deposit?
    Looks like they are too busy - didnt' get the contract, tried to call them - no luck, emailed customer support - no luck. Yesterday I tried to find customer number on meteor.ie, but it disappeared (or I'm going mental - I used that number last week). When I called them last Thursday at 5 pm there was a message recorded: "our lines are open till 7 p.m, you cannot leave a message - the voice mail is full"

I was complaining some time ago about Three, now the Meteor. There must be something wrong with me ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement