Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue dog outdoors

Options
  • 17-03-2011 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

We adopted our rescue dog about 2 months ago, she's roughly 2 years old and is a jack Russell cross but with none of the JR common traits (hyper,barking,digging etc). She's extremely quiet, rarely barks and gets on well with most other dogs.

Initially we left her in the house when we worked and I would come home at lunch to let her out and give her a walk. This didnt work out as she was distressed being left alone for even 5 mins, would pee etc all over the house.

So we bought a kennel and tried her outdoors. Totally different dog. She initially showed vague interest in being allowed back in (small amount of whining) but then wandered off down the garden or for extended naps in her kennel.

We bought a camera to keep an eye on her during the day as I was concerned she was whining or otherwise missing us. Turned out she was either burying bones, chewing on them or sleeping. So that's fine, she seems content.

Problem is at night we keep her in doors and she continually freaks out, whining, scratching at doors and wetting her bed. We bought a crate and kept her in it at night, first few nights were fine but then she started freaking out again and nothing calms her down except sleeping in our room which we don't allow her to do.

Tonight she seems to have decided to sleep in her kennel as she won't come back in the house, she's not cowering or whimpering, just went to her kennel when I called her in. The kennel has a magnetic door and nice blanket and cushion in it and is sheltered from the wind.

Question is, should we let her sleep all night out there? She seems happy enough but I'm paranoid about 4 am whining ( although she never really whines once outside) and we have the camera recording her kennel.

Could she just be an outdoors dog and the night-time freak outs be because of not being used to being indoors? Or is it cruel to leave her out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

One of my dogs was like that, wrecked the house until one night my mother put her outside out of temper and the dog was delighted with herself!

I'd say to let her sleep outside if she wants, making sure her bed is always dry and warm. And you can always let her sleep inside again if she decides she wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

If she wants to be outside, then that's fine :)

Maybe in winter if it's cold think about getting a small shed to put her kennel in (6'X4' or whatever should be fine) and you can close in the door at night to keep her warmer. You can get microwavable heat pads too (www.zooplus.ie they're called Snuggle Safe heat pads) that might be useful, they stay warm all night. But this time of year she should be fine anyway. :) Also if you find her blanket gets damp then you could use vet bed, because it dries out really quickly.

Some people say it's cruel to leave dogs outside, but I think a lot of dogs prefer it, and as long as she still gets lots of attention, then I don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

My father had a working collie like this, could not cope with being inside at all, really made the animal anxious. Dad built him a kennel under the wood pile across the yard and the dog slept there happy as Larry. Even when he got a kick from a cow and was on enforced rest the poor dog stood panting by the door until he was let out. Some dogs are just happy enough outside. They are quick to let you know if they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

It would be cruel to the dog if she was outside shivering and howling. She seems to be quite happy out there and so long as she has adequate shelter and bedding and that you make provisions for any major cold snaps (which hopefully we won't get for a good many months!), it should be fine. She seems to have made her choice and considering she appears to know her own mind, I have no doubt that you will be only too aware if she decides she wants back in!

Advertisement