Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S GINGERBREAD 2.3.1 now available to download!!!

Options
  • 04-01-2011 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, Darkys new ROM V.8.0 is now available to download, I reflashed this morning (quite painless tbh) phones running extremely smoothely, and battery life is superb!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091

Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Darky is a beast. It was only last week I updated to 7.5. Will give this a bash later on tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ah...not the official gingerbread. ;)

Tempted to flash to this, but think I'll wait a few more days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Ah...not the official gingerbread. ;)
    It's not gingerbread at all...!

It's FROYO made to look like Gingerbread.
    Features

// Fastest Froyo ROM ever with Gingerbread Look //

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Scotty # wrote: »
    It's not gingerbread at all...!

It's FROYO made to look like Gingerbread.

Well, my phone says:

Settings-about phone- firmware version 2.3.1

Previously i was on v7.8 (also gingerbread look) and firmware was 2.2.1?

Apologies if I've got it wrong, still bloody nice though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Gucky wrote: »
    Hey guys, Darkys new ROM V.8.0 is now available to download, I reflashed this morning (quite painless tbh) phones running extremely smoothely, and battery life is superb!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091

Enjoy!

In 24 hours it has gone from 7.8 to 8.0, excellent!

Did you do anything special to get the battery life to "be superb"? It's the one area where I feel my SGS is still letting me down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 droidman

Hi I'm new to the flash thing (used to have no trouble jail breaking and unlocking an original iphone for a couple of years so hopefully I'm up to the task lol)

I have froyo 2.2 xxJPP baseband and build FROYO.XWJPA and I used the one click lag fix 2.3 (I think) along with EXT2 tools and z4root.

Is it easy to install this rom with my current set up or is there some sort of wipe I need to do first so it does not brick the phone? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Gucky wrote: »
    Settings-about phone- firmware version 2.3.1

Apologies if I've got it wrong, still bloody nice though!

Yea in the change log Darky states that he changed it to say 2.3.1... but it's still FROYO and yes, it is nice. Been running it a few days now and seems very smooth indeed.

droidman wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to the flash thing (used to have no trouble jail breaking and unlocking an original iphone for a couple of years so hopefully I'm up to the task lol)

I have froyo 2.2 xxJPP baseband and build FROYO.XWJPA and I used the one click lag fix 2.3 (I think) along with EXT2 tools and z4root.

Is it easy to install this rom with my current set up or is there some sort of wipe I need to do first so it does not brick the phone? Thanks

Took the plunge and it was surprisingly easy to do this once I'd spent a while reading the XDA forum. this rom is great and very quick! I'd recommend it so far but make sure you read the instructions very carefully before trying it just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

Very misleading title!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

This is the third of Darkys Roms that I have installed and the most problematic.

One of my favourite apps AK Notepad now forcecloses every time and will not sync to the web.

Secondly, connecting to a wifi connection needs two attempts before working. First attempt gives an error message but second attempt works. The problem with this is that auto wifi toggle no longer works - it hasn't the intelligence to retry after the first failure.

I also am getting much more freezes.

Otherwise the phone is definitely faster and smoother than the stock firmware.

However, the Notepad and wifi problems mean that I am planning to go back to 7.8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Did you use the wipe or no wipe option?

I tried no wipe option and it was a bit slow and I got force closes galore so went for wipe and it's been rocketing along since with no problems so maybe you should try that?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

I used the wipe version with 8.0 - that was the install that gave me the problems.

With the earlier versions of Darkys that I installed, I used the no wipe and had no problems. That's not what I expected ...!

I am back on 7.8 now and it seems to be working fine. Early days yet but no FCs - too early to say about battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 arekdd

I9000XXJPP
    root@SE-608 #1
    FROYO.XWJPA
    could you help with advice how can i root that. with z4root ? any advice or have experience. its work safety ? it is any problem for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

download not yet available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

EXCITING.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

ANYONE GET IT YET CANT WAIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Im after ordering a new 16G S i9000 and a 32Gig mem card to boot...

didnt realise the S mark II was out soon...

should I hold the order? I am not too bothered and cant really justify spending any more money, I would say the mark II would be well expensive.

Is there any must have games or apps I should get? I am moving up from a N82 to this.

Had to update a couple of apps today actually, wonder it's related.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Reading over on the xda forum that unless your phone is on 2.2.1, the firmware update will not show up in Kies, any truth in this? My unbranded(Afaik) SGS has just the standard 2.2, can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to update to 2.2.1 if this is even necessary?

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Reading over on the xda forum that unless your phone is on 2.2.1, the firmware update will not show up in Kies, any truth in this? My unbranded(Afaik) SGS has just the standard 2.2, can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to update to 2.2.1 if this is even necessary?
    Ditto. I'm on Meteor Bill Pay, Froyo 2.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Yeah, my phone was unlocked form meteor bill pay. No one is getting gingerbread here yet anyway so i guess we'll just have to wait till it can even be downloaded here at all

Advertisement