Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire ROOTED! (How-To Posted)

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

http://twitpic.com/1iwzwx

Paul O'Brien from MoDaCo has finally gotten root on the HTC Desire. Apparently we can expect a guide on how to get root by tommorrow! :D

*Look at the 3rd icon from the left 2nd row from the bottom!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Nice one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭thegom145

This makes me accidently almost-right on a different thread... hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Score!!!
    Now to get me a desiiiiiiiiiire

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I hope there is minimal risk of bricking with this. I'll look forward most of all to apps running from the sd card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Anyone know what the situation is with warranty after a failed root of the Desire.
    Looking at threads on the net, some posters say you're covered, others say not.
    I know someone posted another thread here about HTC omitting a clause in the Desire warranty (that was in the Legend warranty) that suggested some leeway on this.
    Any updates on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

mkennedy wrote: »
    Anyone know what the situation is with warranty after a failed root of the Desire.
    Looking at threads on the net, some posters say you're covered, others say not.
    I know someone posted another thread here about HTC omitting a clause in the Desire warranty (that was in the Legend warranty) that suggested some leeway on this.
    Any updates on this?
    I was the one who posted that thread. It was the Nexus One warranty, not the HTC Desire's warranty btw.

Here's a topic I started over at XDA where me and a few other people tried debated the warranty and what it really meant.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=668125

At the end we kind of agreed that rooting itself won't affect the warranty. But that if a defect is as a result of rooting then you won't be covered by the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,796 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So what will rooting actually do for the phone? What advantages will it have?

Does it mean I'll be able to install the stock android "contacts" app to solve this issue that I must have already posted on about 7 different android dedicated forums with no resolve? :(:o

cormie wrote: »
    So what will rooting actually do for the phone? What advantages will it have?

Does it mean I'll be able to install the stock android "contacts" app to solve this issue that I must have already posted on about 7 different android dedicated forums with no resolve? :(:o
    Can you not do that already without root?

Apparently not, check post 18 here: http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f7/sync-one-group-of-contacts-only-with-android-htc-desire-34318/

That chap was helping me and testing out various solutions, but nothing so far :(

Apparently not, check post 18 here: http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f7/sync-one-group-of-contacts-only-with-android-htc-desire-34318/

That chap was helping me and testing out various solutions, but nothing so far :(
    Well then I suppose it will be possible to get the stock contacts app with rooting but you're going to have to wait until a few roms start coming up for the HTC Desire.

• Advertisement

I'm not even sure if that's possible?

He said this RE rooting:
    Well rooting on its own just gives you super user access to your phone (thus allowing you to do some stuff like installing custom firmwares, etc).

This opens up two possibilities:

* Install Android Home (not a lot of use without the Contacts app).
    * Install the Contacts app (although XDA say it doesn't work).

However, I don't think SenseUI is open source, so even if you are rooted nobody can make a custom firmware that has a modified version of SenseUI in it that allows you to set the sync groups.

Still... it opens up possibilities

You're to blame for all this by the way, saying the desire could be made exactly the same as the nexus :P hahaha just messin!

I'm not even sure if that's possible?

He said this RE rooting:

You're to blame for all this by the way, saying the desire could be made exactly the same as the nexus :P hahaha just messin!
    The only viable way to get that contacts app is to flash a Nexus One rom on the Desire but that means you're going to lose Sense UI and the FM radio =/

It may be possible to extract the contacts app from stock android and to install it on the Desire.

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307365/28-apr-r1-htc-desire-rooting-guide/
    Read this whole topic - it contains a ton of useful information as well as the instructions and downloads!

Remember that if you use this guide, you do so entirely at your own risk!

Welcome to my guide on how to root the HTC Desire - this is a 'first cut' of the guide, and will be refined / improved as time progresses!

Compatibility

This guide will allow you to root your HTC Desire, provided it has a bootloader version of 0.75 or below. To check this, turn off your device, then turn it back on with the 'back' key held. On the second line in green text you will see HBOOT- and then a number. Provided this is 0.75 or below, this guide should work for you.

O2 Germany devices are currently shipping with a 0.80 bootloader, and as such cannot be rooted using this guide at this time.

Desire rooting protection

Back in the early days of Android, rooting was easy. You had several options - you could flash stuff via the bootloader, you could flash an engineering bootloader, you could use kernel exploits - there were many ways of getting the low level access to your device that - in fairness - I think we as paying customers are entitled to. As time has progressed however, the manufacturers have made things harder and harder. The Desire is not a straightforward phone to root, for many reasons, including...
    • a 'perfected bootloader' that doesn't allow flashing or booting of any images (even HTC signed ones)
    • a RUU flash process that does not allow downgrading of the bootloader to earlier versions
    • a kernel (that as yet does not have publicly available source) that as yet has no known exploits
    • a new protection method previously seen on the HTC Tattoo that protects key partitions from having write access. Even with SU access, it is not possible to write to the boot, recovery or system partitions.
    In reality, the options for rooting a device this secure are limited. Even if a kernel exploit were found, the key partitions would still be unwritable, rendering su access useless. This was circumvented on the Tattoo very cleverly, using a specific memory address from a confidential Qualcomm datasheet, however this information is not yet available for the Snapdragon chipset used in the Desire (and indeed may never enter the public domain).

And so the root process becomes a process of methodically probing every possible point of exposure on the device, looking for the slightest chink in the armour. I found one and we're putting it to good use! The downside is that it's not as easy or as pretty as rooting a device that is actually DESIGNED to be accessible at the lowest level, such as the Nexus One.

Shame on you HTC for going to such unnecessary lengths (but that's another story for another day).

What this root process provides and does not provide

The root process will...
    • flash your device with a new, generic 1.15.405.4 based ROM that has Superuser access
    • show you how to enter the recovery image in future, allowing you to flash update zips
    The root process will NOT...
    • enable you to flash your device with a custom recovery image that can be launched easily by just holding down the volume down button when powering on
    • enable you to have write access to the /system partition in normal use of the device
    Both of these limitations are being worked on of course. wink.gif

Pre-requisites

In order to complete this guide, you need the following...
    • a HTC Desire wink.gif
    • a Windows machine (sorry, I am trying to remove dependencies on specific OS')
    • a Linux (a liveCD should do) or OSX machine (sorry, I am trying to remove dependencies on specific OS')
    • a microUSB cable
    • a microSD card (to be made into a 'goldcard')
    • the downloads below
    • balls of steel (actually, I just made that up) tongue.gif
    Downloads

To be ready for the guide, download the following items...
    • the 'test ruu' - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR - MD5: f1981b26b90b97aea395d2b30909a23f
    • the 'push files' - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR- MD5: 9ee301b702078dd1842bd1c67e552f6e
    • the 'rooted update' - DOWNLOAD / MIRROR - MD5: 44f2614452ddf777cab9115e2174a91a
    Once you have those on your machine, you're ready to start! smile.gif

The guide

Follow through these steps, one by one and at the end of it you'll have a rooted Desire with the latest ROM.

Note: This process will wipe your device and there is currently no option to backup your device ROM before you start.
    • Make your microSD card into a goldcard by following these instructions (it's a good idea to back up the contents of your card first!)
    • Copy the 'rooted update' you downloaded above to the root of your SD card, before replacing it into your device.
    • Turn off your HTC desire, then turn it back on with the 'back' button held down. You'll see 'FASTBOOT' written on the screen in a red box.
    • Connect the phone to your computer, then run the 'test ruu' that you downloaded above (it may take a short while to start). Let the update complete and turn your device off as soon as it reaches the configuration wizard. If you need USB drivers, you can find them as part of the HTC Sync install.
    • Your device should now be off. Unplug the device from your computer. Turn it on again while holding down the 'volume down' button this time. The screen will look similar to before, but will say 'HBOOT' instead of 'FASTBOOT'. Use the volume buttons and the power button to select the 'RECOVERY' option. You should then see a screen with a red triangle - at this point, plug it into your Linux or OSX computer.
    • Now you need to unzip the 'push files' zip that you downloaded above. When you have done so, you'll see a file called 'recovery-linux.sh' or 'recovery-mac.sh'. Run the one appropriate to your operating system and the screen of your device should change to display the green recovery image menu.
    • In the recovery image (moving around using the optical trackball), select 'Wipe -> Wipe data /factory reset' then 'Flash zip from sdcard' and choose the rooted update. Confirm with the trackball and the update process will begin. It'll take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea.
    • When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE! smile.gif
    Troubleshooting

If you have any issues with the root process, post below, and we'll do our best to help! smile.gif

And finally!

If you wish to do so, you can express your appreciation by signing up to a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus Account using PayPal or Google Checkout, as detailed in this post on MoDaCo. As well as donating to support the work that goes into all the various MoDaCo activites, you get cool stuff like free software (there's some great Android stuff coming too!), an ad free MoDaCo site and of course access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchen. All signups are very much appreciated.

Enjoy! smile.gif

P

Thanks to ChainsDD for his excellent new Superuser Permissions update!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

I can't think of any reason why I should root my desire.

I have not run out of space to install apps on, I have no difficultly getting the apps that I want.

Nope cant think of anything usefull.

Beno wrote: »
    I can't think of any reason why I should root my desire.

I have not run out of space to install apps on, I have no difficultly getting the apps that I want.

Nope cant think of anything usefull.
    MarketEnabler?

Custom roms?

FroYo (When it's released)?

Underclocking the CPU to save battery?

MarketEnabler?
    You don't have to get your apps through the market.
    Custom roms?
    What can these do that, android cant?
    FroYo (When it's released)?
    This one maybe but its not out yet
    Underclocking the CPU to save battery?
    Could have bought the legend if I wanted a slower phone

Not trying to be the devils advocate, but i don't feel there is a need to root the desire yet. Hero yes. Desire no

You don't have to get your apps through the market.
    I know that but as we all know downloading from the Market is far better than downloading APKs and installing/maintaining them yourself.
    What can these do that, android cant?
    I don't know, they haven't been released yet. If/When cynanogenmod is released for the Desire then we will see all the improvements it brought to the Nexus One.

Could have bought the legend if I wanted a slower phone

That's not the point, underclocking it isn't so we can slow the phone down, it's so we can save battery power when the phone is sleeping or when the phone isn't in use instead of having it run on full power all the time.

I know that but as we all know downloading from the Market is far better than downloading APKs and installing/maintaining them yourself.
    Fair enough with the maintaining of apps. Thats quite handy. But I don't think the risks, however small they are and the bugs that are introduced on the phone with some custom roms are worth the saving of hassle of installing apps externally every few weeks, or days even
    I don't know, they haven't been released yet. If/When cynanogenmod is released for the Desire then we will see all the improvements it brought to the Nexus One.
    What improvements did it bring to the nexus one?
    That's not the point, underclocking it isn't so we can slow the phone down, it's so we can save battery power when the phone is sleeping or when the phone isn't in use instead of having it run on full power all the time.
    This I'm sceptical about, it has parallels to chipping a car engine, Any of these modifications that are done to the phone, why have they not been done by the people who designed the phone. They would have more information available to them than the modder and the is probably a reason why it is not done. Or maybe it is to idealistic to think like that and hackers know more?

That aside my desire is lasting the whole day, from 7am untill 11pm so I am reasonably happy.

What improvements did it bring to the nexus one?
    5 column launcher than can auto-rotate. Bluetooth and WiFi tethering. More free memory and 360 degrees auto rotation. Another important thing it brought was a JIT compiler which greatly improves performance.
    This I'm sceptical about, it has parallels to chipping a car engine, Any of these modifications that are done to the phone, why have they not been done by the people who designed the phone. They would have more information available to them than the modder and the is probably a reason why it is not done. Or maybe it is to idealistic to think like that and hackers know more?
    It's not some crazy untested idea that some developer thought would work. It's used on almost every single laptop/desktop cpu out today. When the CPU is needed it runs at full speed and when it's not it runs at the lowest possible speed so as to conserve power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

If/When cynanogenmod is released for the Desire then we will see all the improvements it brought to the Nexus One.
    I doubt it will. Cyanogen has said a fair few times he hates sense.
    Considers it nothing but extra bloat

I doubt it will. Cyanogen has said a fair few times he hates sense.
    Considers it nothing but extra bloat
    No one said anything about him releasing sense in the rom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

It's not some crazy untested idea that some developer thought would work. It's used on almost every single laptop/desktop cpu out today. When the CPU is needed it runs at full speed and when it's not it runs at the lowest possible speed so as to conserve power.

I think this is the question he's really asking though. If this is such a widespread concept, then why did the developers deliberately choose not to include this feature in the phone? If the only side-effect of enabling it is an improved battery life, why did they overlook it?

My point exactly why was it not used in the desire then?
    I'm not suggesting that they are crazy thoughts, I have allot of respect for people that are able to pull of these things.
    5 column launcher than can auto-rotate. Bluetooth and WiFi tethering. More free memory and 360 degrees auto rotation. Another important thing it brought was a JIT compiler which greatly improves performance.

That sounds more like a reason to root.

So root will be useful the desire in the future but at the moment, its only any use to a developer who wants to mess around.

Just looked at my phone and I can see that the processor is running at 259 Mhz. Underclocking not needed I suppose then.

Just looked at my phone and I can see that the processor is running at 259 Mhz, So what help would an underclock do here?
    What program?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Just looked at my phone and I can see that the processor is running at 259 Mhz. Underclocking not needed I suppose then.

even my hero is not running so slow.

System panel, Its a pretty cool app. Its an app manager that can also monitor network, batter and cpu usage.

It can also tell you large amount about your phone.

Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev2 (v71)
    Features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp
    BogoMIPS: 662.4
    Min Cpu:245 Mhz
    Max CPU: 998 mHZ

Just some of my stats not sure what it means though, Interesting none the less.

System panel, Its a pretty cool app. Its an app manager that can also monitor network, batter and cpu usage.

It can also tell you large amount about your phone.

Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev2 (v71)
    Features: swp half thumb fastmult vfp
    BogoMIPS: 662.4
    Min Cpu:245 Mhz
    Max CPU: 998 mHZ

Just some of my stats not sure what it means though, Interesting none the less.
    So where did you get 259MHz from? O_o

• Advertisement

So where did you get 259MHz from? O_o

Thats what it was running at when I looked at it

Advertisement