Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Comics

Options
  • 23-03-2015 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    Im new to the whole comic thing I just started the walking dead after loving the tv shoe,
    Anyway my question is could anyone recommend which Batman to start with ? I like the darker one personally .
    Also where online is the best place to buy them,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Start with Batman: Year One, can't go wrong with it really.

Do you want to buy digital or physical copies?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭WilsonIRL

Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls was recommended to me when i was looking into starting to read Batman comics. I really liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,555 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

maximoose wrote: »
    Start with Batman: Year One, can't go wrong with it really.

Do you want to buy digital or physical copies?

Thanks for the recommendations
    I want to get digital copies

For digitals I recommend Comixology

Frequent sales, good mobile/tablet apps and the guided view for reading (shows you one panel at a time instead of a full page) is brilliant.

Thanks a lot,
    Any other comics ud recommend ?

• Advertisement

The Court of Owls is the 1st volume of the current ongoing Batman run, and it really is great. Try that and if you like it just keep going with it.

For older reads I'd get:

Year One
    The Long Halloween
    Dark Victory
    The Killing Joke (Joker origin story)
    Arkham Asylum
    Knightfall
    The Dark Knight Returns

Is there anywhere u can watch graphic novel feature length movies .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

There's a few on Netflix. The DC ones are generally far superior to the Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The DC comics did a universe kinda reboot a while back, and it has been the perfect chance for me to get stuck into reading comics.

At present I'm currently going through The Dark Knight and also Justice League. Really enjoyable.

As many have mentioned there is the likes of Year One and various graphic novels that are also excellent. Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth was an obscure and unique graphic novel I picked up on recommendation from people on the Film forum and really enjoyed it.

I've a few graphic novels left like the killing joke and some others I've had for years but never read, so need to give them a whirl. But as for actual comics, as someone totally new to the whole thing I found the Dark Knight a really good read.

I use my Nexus7 or read them on my PC while doing other stuff, so I'm pretty much a digital reader. Comixology was mentioned above, but I actually do all my purchasing through either Amazon or mainly Google Books store.

Google has most of the DC stuff, comics and graphic novels, competitively priced, and their app is cross platform so and syncs so I can pickup and read on just about any digital device.

Recently got into reading them on my 42" TV, which is a joy to behold

Advertisement