Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy S2 3g problem

• 17-01-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi, i've looked everywhere for a solution to this but to no avail. I've updated firmware, rooted my phone to try special apps and nothing. My 3g connection did work but suddenly just went away, now stuck on rather useless 2g. I'm with 3 and they have said everything is fine their end. I put in another 3 sim but still no joy. I get 3g signal in another phone, so it's not my sim. it's defo a phone issue. Can anyone point me in the right direction or even know of somewhere that can fix this annoying problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

It was working after you updated or only before?

Check:
    - it's on! (hold down power button for a second and under Data network mode, make sure it says activated)
    - go to Settings, Wireless and network, Mobile network, click on "Access Point Names", and check the settings are correct in here.
    (don't know the 3 ones as I'm on Meteor)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If your getting 2G networks (Edge?) then its your settings or coverage from your provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

BopNiblets wrote: »
    It was working after you updated or only before?

Check:
    - it's on! (hold down power button for a second and under Data network mode, make sure it says activated)
    - go to Settings, Wireless and network, Mobile network, click on "Access Point Names", and check the settings are correct in here.
    (don't know the 3 ones as I'm on Meteor)

hi, thanks for replay.
    It happened just all of a sudden on e day before any updates or anything. I have gone through all the settings ten times over, searching networks and selecting 3 3g, and when it searches it says unable to connect and kills of all me signal, so i have to restart my phone to get reception back. No problem when i select 3 2g. It's a proper pain.

draffodx wrote: »
    If your getting 2G networks (Edge?) then its your settings or coverage from your provider.

It cant be provider, cos as i said above if i put my sim in another phone in the same location then i have 3g, there's no more possible settings i can find to set or reset. I have hard wiped my phone and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

tiny timy wrote: »
    hi, thanks for replay.
    It happened just all of a sudden on e day before any updates or anything. I have gone through all the settings ten times over, searching networks and selecting 3 3g, and when it searches it says unable to connect and kills of all me signal, so i have to restart my phone to get reception back. No problem when i select 3 2g. It's a proper pain.

Does the same thing happen when you let the phone select network automatically?

• Advertisement

dooferoaks wrote: »
    tiny timy wrote: »
    hi, thanks for replay.

Does the same thing happen when you let the phone select network automatically?
    Yep,it stays on 2g.but when it goes to select 3g I loose all service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

try putting this code in and choosing WCDMA only

*#*#4636#*#*

Boro wrote: »
    try putting this code in and choosing WCDMA only

*#*#4636#*#*
    Hi Boro.thanks for help,but no luck.same problem,won't let me connect to 3g and I've lost signal.on wifi now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Did you choose "turn off radio"?

Turn on Airplane mode and turn it off again.

yep, i tried that there and still no joy. When i turn off radio a circle with a line through it comes up where the signal bar should be and when i toggle the airplane mode it brings up a symbol of a plane but still no 3g.
    Any other tricks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Did you try a factory reset? (clutching at straws a bit, sorry!)

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Did you try a factory reset? (clutching at straws a bit, sorry!)
    Sure did.numerous times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You may have 3g on but not the right band. This can happen with an imported phone from the US.

(for going back use the menu button bottom left not the normal back button)

Make sure WDCMA 2100 has a * beside it for ON when you Follow these instructions

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s/258859-how-enable-850mhz-3g-network-frequency-your-samsung-i9000-galaxy-s.html

More 1 key codes

http://www.cellunlocker.net/blog/2011/07/samsung-galaxy-s2-secret-codes/

Hi Sponge Bob,

Thanks for the info, but yet again, no joy. If i select it i loose all signal. Even if i do a combi select i dont loose signal but still no 3g. This is a sickner

Just an update on the situation.3g suddenly appeared on my phone today for all of 10 seconds and disappeared but hasnt returned since.so now im totally lost to the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I didn't see if mentioned yet, but have you tried flashing a new modem?

I vaguely remember when I got the phone 3g was sketchy in my house, so I flashed a few new modems and ended up with one that worked better.

They are all easily flashed with CWM, and a list of them can be found here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1131950

Grassey wrote: »
    I didn't see if mentioned yet, but have you tried flashing a new modem?

I vaguely remember when I got the phone 3g was sketchy in my house, so I flashed a few new modems and ended up with one that worked better.

They are all easily flashed with CWM, and a list of them can be found here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1131950
    Thanks for info greasy.but ive gone down that road also but to no avail.I done more research today and it's a flight mode bug I seem to I am now getting 3g, but no signal when I do get it and I have to restart my phone to get back to 2g.doesnt seem to be a cure for it though. What one did you flash that worked for you in the end?thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I had the same problem with a HTC Desire and Galaxy S1, Three couldn't help me so I cancelled the contract as a last resort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Very well known issue with 3. You can verify by putting in another networks sim and watching all the problems disappear. Problem has been ongoing for 2+ years, 3 refuse to acknowledge it.

Also affects the iphone, many many people raging on the 3 forum about it. But also affects many android phones. Some phones seem to work ok, mainly older ones that don't use modern push-notification type stuff. Problem is something to do with modern devices leaving the connection open, and this conflicts with 3s domestic roaming. Noone knows the exact reason, it is very frustrating. What everyone does agree on tho is that 3 are useless. A quick search on their forum will show you very many threads about this same issue.

I had this problem with Desire and Nexus One on 3, I solved it by switching to another network, that was in march 2010.

edit: And as you say, it will indicate it's connected to 3g but no data will work. Exact same symptoms as I had. Airplane mode did fix mine temporarily, but toggling airplane mode every 5 minutes is not something you should be forced to do.

edit2: If you have already flashed your phone that might be the problem. You must use 3s radio rom because they are "special". Some people don't seem to experience this problem, so they have the right radio. 3 support is ****ing useless, they even released an upgrade once that made people with working phones start to have this problem. By far the easiest solution is to jump ship :D

Hi srsly 78,

This problem happened before i flashed. I only flashed to try and get it back. Trying to look for 3's radio as you mentioned, but i can find nothing on the net for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Good luck with your search. Myself and many other people have had no joy figuring this out. Personally I have wasted a lot of time with it :( 3 certainly won't help you.

On a more positive note, people have used this problem as a means to escape from their contract (see 3 forum). Unsatisfactory service etc.

Advertisement