Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book on evolution?

Options
  • 04-08-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good book for a beginner?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The selfish gene.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

MrPudding wrote: »
    The selfish gene.

What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Not a book, but Wikipedia's Introduction to Evolution article is a nice place to start. Follow up some of the attached articles and you'll know about as much as most scientists do on the matter :D

The Selfish Gene is good, as far as I can tell from having just started it. I would imagine that some prior knowledge of biology/evolution might be desirable for reading it, but Dawkins has a rep for being very accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

If you want to understand it, go with Dawkins' climbing Mount Improbable - i loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Another plug for Dawkin's The Selfish Gene. Can't recommend it enough. You'll never see things the same way again, and it's very accessible, even if you're a complete beginner to the subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Start with The Blind Watchmaker, then move onto The Selfish Gene. TBW does a better job of explaining the process at a macro level, which is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

You could also try "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, the most famous book on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

branie wrote: »
    You could also try "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, the most famous book on the subject.

Not a great place to start really, since it no longer accurately reflects the modern synthesis. Definitely worth a look later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

thanks for the suggestions, another one i spotted on amazon was The Blind Watchmaker. Anyone read it?

its between:
    The Blind Watchmaker
    The God Delusion
    The Selfish Gene

someone decide for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

quarryman wrote: »
    thanks for the suggestions, another one i spotted on amazon was The Blind Watchmaker. Anyone read it?

its between:
    The Blind Watchmaker
    The God Delusion
    The Selfish Gene

someone decide for me.

The God Delusion? That's not a book on evolution! But worth a read all the same. Go with The Blind Watchmaker for starters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Start with The Blind Watchmaker, then move onto The Selfish Gene. TBW does a better job of explaining the process at a macro level, which is what you need.
    Good point actually. I read selfish gene first, but with hindsight the blind watch maker would be a better starter.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The blind watchmaker it is so.

thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Am I too late?
    I would recommend Darwin's Gift To Science And Religion by Francisco J. Ayala. Much more accessible to a beginner than Dawkins' books (great as they are).

Advertisement