Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping and Fishing at Lake

Options
  • 09-11-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

Myself and a friend are at beginners stage of getting into angling. Enjoying it though and hoping to keep it up as a good hobby.

We are looking to get out over the next few weeks and camp up beside a lake somewhere not too far from Dublin. Preferably around the wicklow area.

We are not too worried about the types of fish, etc as long as it is nice spot with possibility of catching something.

Would anyone have any suggestions where would be ideal?

Thanks a million,
    Robbie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭delsalmon

no camping allowed on blesso anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Look into Lough Dan in Wicklow. Now, only speculation, I was there many moons ago and it was full of people camping with fishing available in the lake. Now, I dont know how much it costs, permits or anything, but worth looking into

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

thehamo wrote: »
    Look into Lough Dan in Wicklow. Now, only speculation, I was there many moons ago and it was full of people camping with fishing available in the lake. Now, I dont know how much it costs, permits or anything, but worth looking into

AFAIK Lough Dan is on private property with no public fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

For a novice angler I would say Ramor is hard to beat. Camp on the grassy bank beside the boatpond. Carparking close by, usually other anglers about and the bonus is how it's fishing at the moment! Or if you want to be adventurist, boat out to Crane Is and overnight there!

Castle lake at Baileborough is popular with the campers too, but the odd car has been tampered with and the fishing isn't as good!

I can think of a few more lakes in S Cavan but to me there is one clear winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 robbiemc9

thanks a million guys. cavan looks ideal alright.

this may be pushing it but I wonder if there is anywhere that we could combine in a small trek? perhaps about a 4 - 6 hour walk to lake site ?

nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Brokeback mountain!!!!!

Ha ha
    Cavan is best allright
    The castle lake near bailieboro is worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

robbiemc9 wrote: »
    this may be pushing it but I wonder if there is anywhere that we could combine in a small trek? perhaps about a 4 - 6 hour walk to lake site ?

Yeah, park in Kells and walk to L. Ramor:D

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Just go anywhere on the erne and walk it like,deredis would be a nice spot,walk down the river and you'll come to some lovely pools and lakes,be well worth it :)

Advertisement