Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Divx player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Just tested it with an avi and it seems to work ok. There's a watermark in the top left corner which is kind of annoying but other than that it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I think you can tap on it to remove it. Going to test it in a minute...

JustinOval wrote: »
    I think you can tap on it to remove it. Going to test it in a minute...
    Unfortunately that's just the fps watermark. It's easily removed by tapping the app logo in the bar at the bottom while the video is playing, but there's still a big red 'R' in the top left corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Watermarks totally got rid of for me by tapping divx logo in control bar, played test avi of the Daily Show I just downloaded perfectly.

Thumbs up, will try it on a 720p mkv and report, when I can be arsed to go upstairs to my media PC.

I just get the fps overlay, no red R.

• Advertisement

Same and tapping the divx logo once brings up stream info, and tapping it again removes the stream info and the fps watermark.

3-5 fps on a 720p clip, and loads of artifacts.

That said 720p is pointless on a 3.x" screen, and the SD avis look great, so thats plenty good enough for me.

There's no point whatsoever in loading you Desire or iPhone 4 with HD stuff imho.

Looks good so far. :D

Inquitus wrote: »
    Same and tapping the divx logo once brings up stream info, and tapping it again removes the stream info and the fps watermark.

Could be I just downloaded a different version:confused: Could either of you please check what version of the app you're running and also post the link to the download you used.

Astro reports it as;

Org.freecoder.android.cmplayer

demoPlayer

• Advertisement

I would post a link but I'm not sure of the source of the .apk, or if it is allowed on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was actually looking for an xvid player for Android earlier today. Only came across yxflash but that's supposed to be a bit choppy. Looking forward to trying this one out.

Also I agree that 720p on a 3" screen is pointless. All of my video downloads (800gb+) are SD anyway. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Just as an aside, any more news on divx being supported natively for the Desire?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

This is brilliant, forget about coreplayer (Which is now vaporware if you ask me) or yxflash. I've been using it for the past few days (Found it on XDA) and it keeps an almost steady 23-30FPS during playback of SD avis.

This is a private closed beta though, it shouldn't be linked anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

Will this player only work on Rooted Devices or with Android 2.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

AVI - perfect
    MKV - poor
    RMVB - decent

S.M.B. wrote: »
    AVI - perfect
    MKV - poor
    RMVB - decent

The mkv issue is due to mkvs being at too high a bitrate for the phone to play, I would presume your test mkv was 720p or better.

It will play lower bitrate mkvs flawlessly, not that you'll find many of them to dl anywhere ;)

The mkv issue is due to mkvs being at too high a bitrate for the phone to play, I would presume your test mkv was 720p or better.

It will play lower bitrate mkvs flawlessly, not that you'll find many of them to dl anywhere ;)
    Yeah, I had a feeling this was the case but it's not much use as I just want to transfer any downloads directly to the phone and finding lower bitrate mkvs to download wouldn't be too easy as you point out.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

What phones do you have that can run this?, I have a HTC Hero 1.5, package says it can not be installed on this phone, is that cause its a Hero or on Android 1.5

Yeah, I had a feeling this was the case but it's not much use as I just want to transfer any downloads directly to the phone and finding lower bitrate mkvs to download wouldn't be too easy as you point out.

Its a moot point anyways because there is no reason you'd want to play 720p mkvs on your phone anyways imho, the screen it too small, they take up too much space etc. etc........and if mkv did take over from avi for Std Def it would play fine anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Its a moot point anyways because there is no reason you'd want to play 720p mkvs on your phone anyways imho
    Theres actually a very good reason, so that you only ever need one version of the file.

I dont want one format for my laptop, another for my Nexus, another for my Omnia, another for my Cowan S9, another for my PS3 etc. because thats just a pain in the ass and its why I rarely put videos on my other devices. I have neither the time nor the inclination to keep recoding videos for each device I own and then keeping multiple versions of the same thing which would use a huge amount of space or recoding each time I decide to load more stuff on the device which would take certainly hours if not days. I just want the one single file that I can put on any device at the drop of a hat and I'll bet I'm not the only one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Works great on the Desire, I have the Red 'R' in the top left corner also...

Its a moot point anyways because there is no reason you'd want to play 720p mkvs on your phone anyways imho, the screen it too small, they take up too much space etc. etc........and if mkv did take over from avi for Std Def it would play fine anyways.
    Yeah, I have to agree with JohnK.

And I'd ideally download a mkv file from the net (prefer the smaller file sizes so it's not about wanting 720p) and I'd like to just transfer it straight to my Desire. Will now have to make a conscious decision to download an avi file if I know I'll be watching it on the the go.

Yeah, I have to agree with JohnK.

And I'd ideally download a mkv file from the net (prefer the smaller file sizes so it's not about wanting 720p) and I'd like to just transfer it straight to my Desire. Will now have to make a conscious decision to download an avi file if I know I'll be watching it on the the go.

No phone on earth can play a 720p/1080p mkv satisfactorily.

This app will play a lower quality Std Def mkv flawlessly, the fact of the matter is though that mkv is the container of choice for HD content and as such the phone won't play the mkvs out there as they are generally all 720p or better.

Avi is the Std Def container of choice atm, and again this app will play that flawlessly.

Whilst I agree it would be nice to be able to dl one format for everything, its ridiculous to think your phone would be able to play the 1080p mkvs you like to watch via your PS3 on your big screen TV. You can either dl everything in Std Def avis, be able to watch them on all your gadgets, and accept the fact you wont get the most out of your big screen TV, or dl HD stuff for viewing on the TV and std def stuff for viewing on the go.

Just be thankful you don't own an iphone and have to convert everything to bloody mp4 no matter what!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

No phone on earth can play a 720p/1080p mkv satisfactorily.
    Give it a few months ;)http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/198636/motorolas_2ghz_android_phone_means_business.html
    Just be thankful you don't own an iphone and have to convert everything to bloody mp4 no matter what!
    And that right there is one of the many reasons you couldnt pay me to use one of the bloody things :D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

So this is not available on the app market, is that correct?

5starpool wrote: »
    So this is not available on the app market, is that correct?

Not yet. Apparently it's a closed beta that has been distributed without the consent of the developer.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Got it working anyways, so great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

vlc4android from ZodTTD is on its way, anyway, so there will be some competition in the media player arena soon enough.

Oooh, vlc should be good. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I dunno how far off it is, since he's working on the PSX emulator first.

Advertisement