Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two screens?

• 11-11-2008 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Not 100% where to put this thread but here seems reasonable enough. I have an inspiron 1525 and a monitor left over from my broken desktop computer :( (only broke two weeks ago). I was just wondering if i'd be able to connect to two? i had a friend once who managed to connect two monitors on the one computer and was wondering if i'd be able to do that with the laptop and monitor? Would anyone know who i'd go about doing that? And would both screens just display the same thigs or could i seperate them ie have different windows opened in each eg windows media player on one and wikipedia on the other? Any advice would be a real help :-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well plugging your monitor into the vga out on the laptop should display what you see on your desktop, i'm pretty sure to get true dual screen monitors you'd need a graphics card with support for dual monitors, ie, dual outputs.

EDIT: Thoie's right, so you can extend your desktop onto the second monitor. You learn something new every day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I did it the other day for a friend - no problem if you're running windows. Under the "monitor setup" or something under Display properties, you can tell it there's two monitors, and how you want it to work. His was an Inspiron 5100 running XP.

Say the "real" monitor is on the left, and the laptop on the right, just tell it which is which and click the "extend the desktop onto this monitor". Then you can drag your wiki window to one monitor and have something else in another, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Justlookin

Wow thanks for the help that was so easy its scary :):) Though doing it myself would have baffled me :) currently have kings of leon 'ragoo' on my right and boards on my left :) so happy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Glad I could help - it stumped me for a while too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One thing I used to do at work was to rotate the second monitor 90 degrees, so that it was in "portrait mode". I could tell the graphics config. that it was rotated, so that text looked normal. It was excellent for reading documents on PDF, or most web browsing - reading a whole A4 page at a time with ease.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
Advertisement