Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding wind! Good book sought!

Options
  • 13-09-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days I searched for a good book that explains what the wind is doing as it hits different topographical features and other obsticals,

The information I found which relates to a shooters requirements is somewhat limited to a large degree but it is out there & unfortunately it's spread around and requires searching and reading pages and pages of information more suited to wind turbines than to the task of shooting

. I was wondering if a book exists that explains wind dynamics (being a kin to fluid dynamics,) in terms suited to the layman. Most if the examples I encountered were athwart with complex math and lacked simple diagrammatic explaination.

As such I'm more interested in the wind as a whole and then I will try and apply such leasons to the shooting and I'm trying to avoid books that give the simple lessons on doping the wind.

But to mention a few area, I'm interested in what the effects of the heated ground has at different times of the day on hills and in valleys. Anibatic and katibatic wind flows! Wind profiles both vertical and induced horizontal.

Effects on wind speed at different heights above the ground is profiling!
    Anibatic and katibatic winds are thermally induced flows.
    It's interesting stuff but its all potrayed in a style suited to complex metrologically computations.

I'm just looking for easy read that explains as much as a marksman needs to know.

Regards zxthinger

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Everything I've seen about wind reading is either rules of thumb derived from experience or really scary maths. I'm not sure if there is an in-between. I mean, fluid dynamics is pretty gnarly stuff and doesn't lend itself to simplification.

From what I understand, you want a simplified version of the theory. If you find it, I'll be both surprised and interested in reading it.

Advertisement