Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sea Fishing in/near Dublin

Options
  • 07-11-2011 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi all,

I'm back living in Dublin after many years away and I want to get back into some sea fishing (shore). Not really after any species in particular but I suppose codling/whiting/flats and whatever else might be about. Can anyone recommend some spots either in or around Dublin and maybe what baits would be worth trying.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Killiney beach is popular at this time of year you could give it a try

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

I am a novice but lots of people tell me that the lighthouse in Howth is a great place for sea fishing. I think there is two, but I don't know which one is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shanemurphyboy

Try the lighthouse at Howth harbour, use a simple float setup fished in close about 5 or 6 ft with ragworn should bring in a few wrasse or ledger on the bottom about 20-30yards out for cod, you`d be suprised what could take a bite. Can get pollack aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭D500B

Killiney beach seems to have real anglers - eg the guys who have real equipment etc. there are some rocks are the end which might be easier to fish off.

If you just want some lazy fishing can't get better than a boatout to Dalkey island with a picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

Try the lighthouse at Howth harbour, use a simple float setup fished in close about 5 or 6 ft with ragworn should bring in a few wrasse or ledger on the bottom about 20-30yards out for cod, you`d be suprised what could take a bite. Can get pollack aswell

What time of year/day/weather etc. is best for fishing in Howth?

• Advertisement

In the spot i metioned and the species, I caught them all within the last month. I find a calm slightly over cast day with a light SW wind produced the most fish but I caught in all sorts of weather! Hope this helps and make sure to use more then 20lbs line, theres something their for its need ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

In the spot i metioned and the species, I caught them all within the last month. I find a calm slightly over cast day with a light SW wind produced the most fish but I caught in all sorts of weather! Hope this helps and make sure to use more then 20lbs line, theres something their for its need ;)
    how did the cliffs fish for mackeral this year shane? Usually get up there once or twice but not this year. Twas a mess last year with rubbish:(

lots of rubbish, lots of drunk FNs and irish on top of you, no space at the public cliffs but im lucky enough to have a mate living on the cliffs where i can fish off his land in privacy AND there was a good catch of macks most days, with rain they seemed to go futher out to deeper water!

I ear ya. One of the reasons i didnt stir out this year unfortunately. And not sure of any other places as well as i know there.
    May get the walking boots on for next year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The river Delvin where it hits the sea just outside Balbriggan seems to be a good spot, also there are still guys fishing off Skerries harbour and along the cost there was a great run on mackeral this year first time I saw the fry jumping out of the water in a long time.

• Advertisement

Heard about that mackeral run some good catches out that way! And walking boots is a great idea, along that walk people find some great little fishing spots, i think its best to go where there is not alot of people youll always find a good place! I do know of 1 or 2 spots for doggies around the corner of the cliff head, but very dangerous places to get to.

Heard about that mackeral run some good catches out that way! And walking boots is a great idea, along that walk people find some great little fishing spots, i think its best to go where there is not alot of people youll always find a good place! I do know of 1 or 2 spots for doggies around the corner of the cliff head, but very dangerous places to get to.

Yea there was plenty of falls there year before last. Mostly tourists i think. Did you fish the High Rock in Portmarnock at all? Never thought of it as a good spot but drove by lads casting from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

If I recall correctly last year's one was fatal and that it was a fisherman as tourists are less likely to find the path. The spot is called Devil's/Puck's/Split Rock and is accessed down a cliff path which at one spot is maybe a foot wide with a sheer drop of a few dozen feet with sod all to get a grip onto. It is extremely dangerous and the path has sustained some damage in recent years. I wouldn't recommend any body go down there. I was talking about the very spot a few nights ago with a friend who fell there in his youth a few decades ago. He lost his hearing in one ear and considers himself very lucky to not have been killed or worse disabled which are the most likely outcomes of any fall.

As for the other spots around Howth:
    The East Pier was hopping with macks until a month or 2 ago, some wrasse and pollack also. Sprats/fry could be seen from the wall and some interesting episodes with seals trying to rob when reeling in, tame cormorants, gulls getting hit.
    The 2 marks on Blascadden (before and after Tara Hall) seemed quiet anytime I went down there. The one before that house used to be really filthy but was cleaned up recently. (Do please take and put your rubbish in a bin)
    The spot at the north-east of the Baily lighthouse is usually good, some bass there.

spot on tricky D, wouldnt recommend people to venture to extremes that could be threatening! And them seals were great craic every day they were around for their free meal, had a great year for macks on the pier. Spot before tara hall was cleaned up but the second i thought was still full of litter, and got very packed at times i tried to fish it ( at start of macks arrival ).

Anyway hight rock at portmarnock produces flats, bass and odd smoothie. Fished it a few times this year including a night session with no luck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Spot before tara hall was cleaned up but the second i thought was still full of litter, and got very packed at times i tried to fish it ( at start of macks arrival ).

Pretty sure the owners of the house opposite the access wall to there got it cleaned up. They paid for a gang to clean up most of Balscadden Road for a big reunion party thing as Fingal CC said they couldn't afford it. Why people can't stick their rubbish in a plastic bag and get rid of it properly is beyond me. Same for the pier, there's big bin a few yards away.

Anyway hight rock at portmarnock produces flats, bass and odd smoothie. Fished it a few times this year including a night session with no luck :(

I always knew it as more of a swimming spot (for strong swimmers) than a fishing spot. We were fishing off a pier years ago, i was about 14, think it was Dalkey (:confused:),
    There was one big seal. Every so often you'd feel a belt while reeling in. Even left lips of a mack on one of the men fishing beside me!! I was terrified id hook the seal after that.

I can honestly say I prob lost 30 or 40 macks to the seal this year and indeed hooked it and it took my whole spool of line and then snapped, 10euros worth of 20lbs line= GONE.

Advertisement