Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly fishing for pike? best lures/colours?

Options
  • 10-11-2011 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,
    just recently bought all the set-up for fly fishing for pike but need some advice on the best lures to catch them or the best colours etc... am really excited as i've caught thousands on lures over the years but never on fly.
    thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

never tried this either, what sort of rod would you use for pike fly fishing(please dont say "a fly rod" :D:D:D) and what sort of line?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmcspud

i bought a 9wt fly rod and similar reel, with wt forward cortland pike fly line (floating) for it. i also got about 7/8 pike flies but you know yourself you shop with you eyes and i bought the 'coolest' looking ones. i did get red and greens as they seemed to work on some fishing show on discovery real-time and a little mouse of course!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I've been out with a few lads who do it all the time, and seems to me their favourite colours are chartreuse green, various shades of yellow, and white/red combo. I've had a few fish and follows on the chartreuse, its fairly heart-stopping when a big fish follows your fly right to the boat!
    That setup should be fine, you should get a couple of varying speed sinking leaders as the fish won't always be near the surface, especially this time of year. Summertime is best for floating line and surface flies like poppers...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Zzippy wrote: »
    I've been out with a few lads who do it all the time, and seems to me their favourite colours are chartreuse green, various shades of yellow, and white/red combo. I've had a few fish and follows on the chartreuse, its fairly heart-stopping when a big fish follows your fly right to the boat!
    That setup should be fine, you should get a couple of varying speed sinking leaders as the fish won't always be near the surface, especially this time of year. Summertime is best for floating line and surface flies like poppers...

I agree with colours. I'm tying flies myself (big things not suitable for fly rod - around 15-20cm and xx grams when wet). Best colours so far are dark green with black head and red tail and dark green with red tail i guess both resembling perch. Ps i always add couple of high reflecting fibres.
    you can use sink head make out of metal beads or thick layer of epoxy or make lip like in crankbaits for deeper places.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭aidanf

Can't go wrong with matching the hatch - pike, perch, roach imitations will all do the job.

I'd recommend the book Fly Fishing for Pike David Wolsoncraft-Dodds. He only uses 5 different flies to cover all of his pike fishing situations and describes each, with tying instructions, in the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

on the subject, anyone reccomend a good place to go for it? I bought a whole set up for it during the summer but never got the chance to get out, plus I dont know any where to go! Was just going to chance the canal up around Leixlip

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

thehamo wrote: »
    on the subject, anyone reccomend a good place to go for it? I bought a whole set up for it during the summer but never got the chance to get out, plus I dont know any where to go! Was just going to chance the canal up around Leixlip

you were doing right ;) my experience tell that as canal has no significantly deeper spots (marinas are exception will tell no more ;) pike do not migrate too far + relatively shallow water is benefit for fl fishing and slow retreiving of flies as they don't sink too quick is advantage in winter - here you go.
    Ps. any one ever tried in Grand Canal Dock for winter pike?
    i tried in the summer couple of times with very little success.

Advertisement