Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galaxy s2 remote wipe?

Options
  • 10-05-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hey folks,

About time I got myself one of these "smart phones", one thing I'm worried about is security, does anyone have any info on being able to track/lock/wipe the galaxy s2 remotely, or the sensation for that matter, heard sense wasn't working for the desire HD in Ireland..... obviously the phones arn't out yet but has anyone heard anything. Lack of this might push me towards an iphone...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

That feature is only available in never HTC phones. Likes of Desire HD supports this stock. Also you can make this work on older devices like Desire via custom rom with new sense. It even worked on my HD2 flashed with new Sense Rom.

The only other one that supports this natively is Windows Phone 7 and new HTC Android phones.

Didnt hear weather the S2 supports this. Didnt see any info on it online. Theres third party apps for it. But its obviously isnt great as native integration. If the app stops running. So will the service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

When I saw title, I thought someone had lost there S2 already :eek:

I doubt that S2 natively supports remote wipe, but if you use Microsoft Exchange account on your android you can use remote wipe via your Exchange account. You can also download a security app such as WaveSecure which can do this too

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that a thing called a "Samsung account" does allow this kind of thing. Sounds good.
    Also not mentioned above is that iPhone supports this right out of the box. you can lock/wipe it remotely. The BB's do too.
    Security is an area where android lags behind, that's why you don't see many companies deploying android.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

bd250110 wrote: »
    I've seen it mentioned elsewhere that a thing called a "Samsung account" does allow this kind of thing. Sounds good.
    Also not mentioned above is that iPhone supports this right out of the box. you can lock/wipe it remotely. The BB's do too.
    Security is an area where android lags behind, that's why you don't see many companies deploying android.

I agree, you'd expect that this will be a priority for google to sort out in the near future

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

SeekDroid can do that for you.
    It costs 69c and can remote lock, change access code, wipe phone & SD card & turn on phone alarm with custom message.

• Advertisement

Can it locate the phone on the map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Supposedly it can. I have it but never tried

Yes and it'll activate GPS automatically if its off.

25rckra.jpg

I know where you live now :P :cool:

I know where you live now :P :cool:

I live in the white square! My username also gives it away..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 arsenal

Yeah I knew the iphone could do it, that's why I was saying I was thinking of going that direction...

But as long as I can get something that'll lock it and wipe it I don't really mind that much! If you're going around with all your mail, web log-ins and potentially credit card info it's a pretty big concern... especially considering it'll probably be targeted to be nicked!

On a slightly separate note... (and not for personal use obviously, just curiosity!) but I presume if somebody robbed a remotely locked and wiped phone it'd just be a case of bringing it to your local friendly back alley PC "repair" shop to get the whole thing hacked and the lock removed...??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It depends, maybe they record the devices hardware ID number so even a wipe wouldn't change this. I just lost my Nexus S in london, and I got no data here anyway coz of roaming. How would remote wipe work? Would need the finder to connect to internetz? (I know the nexus s doesn't have remote wipe anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

My experience (and it's only with iPhone - so it might be different) is that data needs to
    1) Be active on the account (e.g. if you have asked the network to disable data, it wont find the phone)
    2) Be active on the phone (e.g. if you have turned data connectivity off/ Airplane mode on)
    3) Phone needs to be switched on and connected to the network.

That said, I think it would work with any SIM, I think it uses Serial Numbers/IMEI's.

I THINK one of the Apps available for Android can remotely locate the phone, turn data/GPS on, etc - so it might be a bit more useful in a real life situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Its called Samsung Dive - www.samsungdive.com

I've just tried it there to ring my phone and remote lock and location find and they all worked instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Yep, Samsung Dive has the following options, once you setup your phone with proper account:

i24tcp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Watchdroid is what I'm using, it has many commands you can run by sms.
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.androgone.simwatchdoglite&feature=search_result
    There are many others that are free but the fact that Watchdroid can wipe your phone remotely if it ever gets turned on after you lose it makes it worth the €1.39. I need this especially as I use my phone for my work and personal emails and my phone browser has my Xmarks bookmarks and Lastpass passwords.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Correct me if I'm wrong but these apps will only work as long as the phone isn't wiped right?

So what's to stop tech-savvy thief getting my DHD, taking it home and just wiping it with another/custom ROM? OK my data is gone but I doubt they stole it for my texts apps and games anyway

Or are some of the apps linked with the IMEI etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not linked to IMEI, you gotta contact your operator for that, but it shouldn't be a problem if you bought it off them.

Its the wiping part I'd be more concerned with, wouldn't care about the phone, I'd be afraid of someone getting my Paypal access etc

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cantthinkof1

I have just setup Samsungdive. It looks ok. My wife just rang me asking had I lost my phone because she got a text saying sim changed.

Womens logic is great: Oh my husbands phone has just text me to say its lost!! I will ring him and tell him he has lost his phone.
    Ring Ring Ring Ring..Hi Wife, Hi Husband have you lost your phone?? No how could I when I am talking to you on it? Well your phone just text me to say it was lost!! Are you sure you didnt loose it??..........

You gotta love 'em.

AntiDT is another App I have downloaded and also Lookout is worth a....look...

Advertisement