Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

70°C CPU, too hot?

• 10-11-2008 12:40pm

I got myself an Acer Aspire 5920G a couple of weeks ago. Only really got the chance to give it a good going over this weekend but I then noticed after doing a bit of gaming that the base was quite warm, much hotter than my previous laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6000. So I fired up Everest and checked the temperatures, the CPU and graphics card both peak at 70°C under load. Idle, the CPU is between 50 and 55 while the GPU is about 60°C.

The CPU is a Core 2 Duo T7300 and the graphics is an Nvidia 8600M GS. Are these temperatures too hot? It just seems that way to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Definitely too hot for the GPU. I do recall nVidia having a problem with the 8 series GPUs and problems with overheating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Seventy degrees is what my 8600GT reaches. 50-60 idle is normal too. I'd only really worry if it goes much above that. It's only really if it's constantly cycling to 90-100 that you're going to start breaking things. Mine's lasted 6 months or so... if it was going to go it would've gone by now like the 1330's are..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd agree with dartz, 70 seems about norm when gaming, if it starts to climb above that i'd begin to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,027 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

70 should be your ceiling. My 8400M GS was IDLING at 70 before I sent it off. Now it idles at 45.

See the Nvidia Fooked thread in the Graphics forum for more information about that.

If I were you I would complain about the temperature, link to the faulty chipset press releases, and demand they fix the problem. they should replace the motherboard for you and reseat the heat sink, which pretty much solves the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dartz wrote: »
    Seventy degrees is what my 8600GT reaches. 50-60 idle is normal too. I'd only really worry if it goes much above that. It's only really if it's constantly cycling to 90-100 that you're going to start breaking things. Mine's lasted 6 months or so... if it was going to go it would've gone by now like the 1330's are..

Exactly, 70c is nowhere near 'too' hot unless you mean in a purely preferental sense - from a hardware point of view 70c is not going to break or damage the GPU, they're designed to shut off at around 100c. On my old Go7400 which was in a cheaply designed Advent laptop, I used to hit 90c on occassion. Played Company of Heroes virtually daily for a year under said conditions, never had any real problem with it before I sold it - aside from once or twice experiencing a shutdown when the GPU hit 100c after a really gruelling LAN session lasting hours, but that's attributable to the crappy ventilation of the Advent. My point being that if I could last a year with just one or two shutdowns after gruelling sessions that stretched into hours @ 90C+ on a daily basis, complaining about the temperature and demanding a replacement because your GPU hits 70C under load is nonsense and absolutely nothing to do with the problems Nvidia experienced with the G84/86, as there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, nor is it even near danger levels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Exactly, 70c is nowhere near 'too' hot unless you mean in a purely preferental sense - from a hardware point of view 70c is not going to break or damage the GPU, they're designed to shut off at around 100c. On my old Go7400 which was in a cheaply designed Advent laptop, I used to hit 90c on occassion. Played Company of Heroes virtually daily for a year under said conditions, never had any real problem with it before I sold it - aside from once or twice experiencing a shutdown when the GPU hit 100c after a really gruelling LAN session lasting hours, but that's attributable to the crappy ventilation of the Advent. My point being that if I could last a year with just one or two shutdowns after gruelling sessions that stretched into hours @ 90C+ on a daily basis, complaining about the temperature and demanding a replacement because your GPU hits 70C under load is nonsense and absolutely nothing to do with the problems Nvidia experienced with the G84/86, as there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, nor is it even near danger levels.

+1

Different cards will hit different temperatures, and also will have different thermal specifications. Same for CPUs. Without knowing what they are, there's no point in going 'OMG my temps are too hot!'. Just because one guy has a card that never exceeds 70c doesnt mean its instant catastrophe because a different model does.

Mobile graphics cards, especially high-end ones, routinely hit 90-100C. Your BIOS thermal profile has a better idea of what temps are safe than some randomers on the internet :pac:, it'll shut down if there's a problem. If you're not getting shutdowns, I wouldn't worry about it; call your manufacturer if you really need reassurance but those temps sound fine.

Advertisement