Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extractor fan in double-glazed window

• 15-10-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭

Bathroom is in need of an extractor fan and there is no possibility of a ceiling fan or adding one to the wall (Mansard Roof) so the window looks like the only option.

I have 2 options: either buy a standard fan and attach it to the wall beside the window, or get the window replaced with one with a fan-built in.

For the latter option, know anywhere that would have such windows?

I'll try out the first option using a normal fan positioned beside the window and see how much steam gets sucked out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Chalkitdowndiy

Can you open a window? Sometimes that's nearly better that an extractor. Not sure how practical that might be for you though.
    And is there no way of extracting via the ceiling using a pipe and out through the top of the roof?

ChalkItDown :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

mrcheez wrote: »
    Bathroom is in need of an extractor fan and there is no possibility of a ceiling fan or adding one to the wall (Mansard Roof) so the window looks like the only option.

I have 2 options: either buy a standard fan and attach it to the wall beside the window, or get the window replaced with one with a fan-built in.

For the latter option, know anywhere that would have such windows?

I'll try out the first option using a normal fan positioned beside the window and see how much steam gets sucked out.

We were renovating and had the same issue, we ended up getting a new double glazed unit made up with a hole pre drilled in it, and then fitted a normal window fan unit. Any glazing company will make you a sealed unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Hoagy wrote: »
    We were renovating and had the same issue, we ended up getting a new double glazed unit made up with a hole pre drilled in it, and then fitted a normal window fan unit. Any glazing company will make you a sealed unit.

cheers, is it a fairly standard size? Do you find you lose heat through the fan, compared to standard double glazed, or do flaps hold it in?

cheers, is it a fairly standard size? Do you find you lose heat through the fan, compared to standard double glazed, or do flaps hold it in?

It's a standard 4inch bathroom fan.
    You're always going to lose some heat through a fan, there's a backdraft shutter to stop the breeze but that's all.

Is the wire visible across the glass, or did you get a section of the window made to conceal the wiring etc?

• Advertisement

Is the wire visible across the glass, or did you get a section of the window made to conceal the wiring etc?

No the fan is near the top of the glass unit so the flex loops down from a ceiling rose

Last question... rough estimate for whole thing. €400? €1,500?

Last question... rough estimate for whole thing. €400? €1,500?

Down the lower end. Maybe 200 for the glass and 200 for the fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Can I point out that a 4" extractor fan is designed for smells they do not remove steam & are not designed for this. You'd be far better off fitting on open /close vent in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

I just saw one of them yesterday. The fans that come through a panel of glass in a double glazed window. The window panel was around 12 inches wide and 15 inches top to bottom with a 4 inch fan bang smack in the middle. I haven't seen one before but it caught my eye. So they are defiantly out there.
    Like hoagy said I'm sure a glazing company will cut one for you and seal it with your chosen fan in the middle.
    Good luck

• Advertisement

I just saw one of them yesterday. The fans that come through a panel of glass in a double glazed window. The window panel was around 12 inches wide and 15 inches top to bottom with a 4 inch fan bang smack in the middle. I haven't seen one before but it caught my eye. So they are defiantly out there.
    Like hoagy said I'm sure a glazing company will cut one for you and seal it with your chosen fan in the middle.
    Good luck

Interesting. Where did you see it?

Also was there a wire coming out along the glass? I like hoagy's suggestion of putting the fan on the top.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Can I point out that a 4" extractor fan is designed for smells they do not remove steam & are not designed for this. You'd be far better off fitting on open /close vent in the wall.

So is it not possible to get a fan similar sized to the ones used in the wall??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

So is it not possible to get a fan similar sized to the ones used in the wall??

A bathroom extractor fan is for smells. If you think about it, if the fan sucked out steam then the steam would condense on the fan, in the fan, in the ducting etc. You would see drops of water on the fan. Now think of any bathroom fan after a shower, you never see droplets of water on the fan.

Compare a bathroom fan to a kitchen fan. Think of the difference in the noise.

Save yourself a few hundred euro & just put a vent in

Check what i said
    there is no possibility of a ceiling fan or adding one to the wall (Mansard Roof) so the window looks like the option

The exterior isn't a wall, it's roof. Tad more expensive and may actually require planning permission as it would affect appearance of the row of terraced houses, so window only option

Interesting. Where did you see it?

Also was there a wire coming out along the glass? I like hoagy's suggestion of putting the fan on the top.

In a window on a building opposite DAX restaurant on Pembroke street.

In a window on a building opposite DAX restaurant on Pembroke street.

hmm must be a recent addition...

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3347643,-6.2541615,3a,75y,178.83h,99.2t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sP3fs87Ks4PHTVrc38yJ4xQ!2e0

hmm must be a recent addition...

Excellent. Its there for sure
    Ground floor about 3 or 4 houses from the end of the street

first floor over the Navy blue door. Next to the lane on the right.

Sorry I'm kinda new to boards and they won't let me post urls etc

not seeing it for me ... you can post links by spreading them out over lines.. e.g.

www.
    google.
    ie/maps/
    @53.3346667,-6.2544322,3a,
    75y,342.3h,85.01t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sK6rDjuE1vp7l9uiGGob5Mg!2e0

etc

Anyway I can always pop down that way whenever I'm southside

not seeing it for me ... you can post links by spreading them out over lines.. e.g.

www.
    google.
    ie/maps/
    @53.3346667,-6.2544322,3a,
    75y,342.3h,85.01t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sK6rDjuE1vp7l9uiGGob5Mg!2e0

etc

Anyway I can always pop down that way whenever I'm southside

I tried to spread it out but it doesn't work..... they folks at boards don't like messers.

There you are. Just over the navy blue door (number 10)
    Is that what you are after - a vent in the window glass?
    bottom right panel.

• Advertisement

Ah right see it there, hard to judge from google map, but i guess it's the same sort of idea.

Out of curiosity i'm going to try putting a standard fan beside the open window in the bathroom and see if it pulls out the steam as i hope.

And before anyone suggests, no i'm not going to start taking colder showers to reduce steam ;)

Advertisement