Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

By the way.. I've never seen a proper render of this bridge... the only one I've found is a crude drawing on the front of the EIS from 2007.

lCMLotI.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Pont de Cheviré over the Loire in Nantes France, is 1.5km long and 52 m high
    has 3 lanes up each side and 2 down.
    Its a beam construction.

From the drawing above this, the road could drop into the valley, before climbing up over the bridge, but I'm not sure of the south side. As I remember it the south side of the Barrow is very steep, with cliffs beside the old Ross-Glenmore road along the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

'

I hope we have a NewRoss-er on these forums to take photos of its construction!

have the camera .............hope to get the shots :)

BAM2.png

xBAM1.png.pagespeed.ic.dmQA3galjS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the Waterford bridge...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/217m-bypass-will-be-toll-free-kehoe-30847008.html

No toll.

Work starts mid 2015 - Enniscorthy to start late 2015

A consortium of Dutch-firm BAM PPP, PGGM and Iridium has been chosen as preferred tender for the project, with work due to begin in mid-2015.

Over 300 men will be employed working on the 13.6km of dual carriageway (N25 and N30 routes) - and 1.2km of single carriageway - New Ross N30 route, and on the new bridge at Pink Rock which will be the biggest in Ireland.

The construction work will be undertaken by a BAM Civil and Dragados joint venture, with hopes that some local contracting firms will be employed throughout the two to three year construction period.

The road will bypass the town of New Ross on the N25 route and link the N25 with the N30 New Ross to Enniscorthy road.

Minister Kehoe said the bypass will remove a major bottleneck on the N25 route for traffic coming from Cork and Wexford.

The National Roads Authority has indicated its intention to use the European Investment Bank's Project Bond Credit Enhancement product as the financing scheme that BAM Iridium will use for the project.

BAM PPP is an operating company of Royal BAM Group, and is responsible for Royal BAM Group's involvement in the public-private partnership (PPP) market. PGGM is a co-operative Dutch pension fund service provider.

The work will involve a bridge over the River Barrow, a railway bridge at Glenmore, dual and single carriageway stretches of road and three roundabouts.

'It's one of the biggest single infrastructure projects ever undertaken in County Wexford. The Enniscorthy bypass is expected to have a preferred tender in place by early 2015, with construction to begin by the end of next year,'

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

That looks like a great news!
    When are they going to sign contracts?
    Does it include design stage (like M17/M18) or is it going straight into construction phase?

Nothing more about the bridge? Any drawings available, or is it still secret?

BAM2.png

Just to give an idea... the total length of this Waterford bypass bridge is 465m. The New Ross one will be the bones of three times as long.

I have questions about the Irish tendering procedures.

In Poland after choosing preferred bidder there is 30 days for competitors to fill official complains.
    If there is a complain the Road Authority can accept it and choose other bidder or reject the protest.
    If there are no complains there is 30 days for control of the tender by the National Procurement Agency (a public body which has to check and approve any large tender in the country)
    Then there is contract signing and finally contractor gets access to the site.
    That's if I remember correctly.

How does it look in Ireland?
    When can we realistically expect any movement on the ground. In the article there is mention of "mid 2015" but it is a bit vague.
    Do you have any strict time limits in such tendering processes?
    Were there any other bidders?
    Can they protest and delay the whole thing?

EDIT:
    On page 14 of this document:
    http://www.eib.org/infocentre/register/all/52323257.pdf

I found this info:
    The Barrow Bridge will be an Extrados [sic!] Type Bridge and is illustrated in Figure 2 below. Tree of the bridge piers will extend through the bridge deck, with the centre pier extending approximately 25m above the bridge deck and the two side piers extending approximately 15m above the bridge deck.Inclined stay cables will link these three piers to the centre of the bridge deck. The overall length of the bridge is approximately 900m with the two main central spans approximately 230m in length. The vertical alignment for the Barrow Bridge allows a 36m clearance envelope above Mean High Water Spring (MHWS) for navigation of the river.

It looks like interesting design. I haven't yet seen a bridge with different height of the towers. It seems that the tallest one will have about 65m (40m to the deck and 25m above), two lower ones about 55m

I think there's a less formal process here,
    There's no formal objection process, but loosing tenderers can get a decision judicially reviewed, if they believed there was good reason the preferred tender was wrongly chosen. This is rare, but has happened 2 or 3 times over the road building schemes during the boom.

I presume the NRA tentatively scope out the tendering company before awarding the tender( formally as must have points in the tender) and informally like sussing out if the winner will be able to get finance, manage the project etc.

And then formally scope out the winner before signing contracts.

But ending with an at grade Roundabout at Glenmore??

• Advertisement

So, any hints when they can sign the contract?
    Hopefully they won't repeat the M17/M18 saga where it took months to sign the deal.

I'm also surprised with at grade roundabouts on both ends of the scheme.

I'd say there's a bit of horsetrading from both sides, the govt might not have its finance lined up completely either, and might drag out contract negotiations.

It's not so much the signing the deal with the m17/18
    Its the starting actually work

I suppose the at grade roundabouts are a cheap form of traffic calming
    the one at Cloch is annoying, but I've never been held up too much there, 2 vehicles (5 seconds) at worst

I'm surprised however that they are planning grade separated junction with a minor road (R733 if I remember) but just roundabouts on much busier tie-ins with the old route.

The GSJ will be considered the main access to New Ross, so gets one. The other two are just tie-ins and will probably only cater for through traffic really.

Also you don't want traffic coming off a 2+2 onto the old N25 REALLY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Geogregor wrote: »
    So, any hints when they can sign the contract?
    Hopefully they won't repeat the M17/M18 saga where it took months to sign the deal.

I'm also surprised with at grade roundabouts on both ends of the scheme.

It's an EU bank funded scheme, its approved and will need to be signed next.
    If we get the same hold up as the M17/18, then I'd say 2016 before a sod is turned.

http://www.eib.org/projects/pipeline/index.htm?start=&end=&status=&region=&country=ireland&sector=

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

hi5 wrote: »
    If we get the same hold up as the M17/18, then I'd say 2016 before a sod is turned.
    We bloody better not!

It's possible that the Waterford-Glenmore HQDC will grade separate the New Ross roundabout at Glenmore. So the Glenmore roundabout is only a placeholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

spacetweek wrote: »
    We bloody better not!

It's possible that the Waterford-Glenmore HQDC will grade separate the New Ross roundabout at Glenmore. So the Glenmore roundabout is only a placeholder.

Anybody Heard that BAM are now the preferred tenderer for this project? Just a rumor. don't have any source info.

Wonder when it will start.

Waterford - Glenmore (connecting Waterford and New Ross bypasses) isn't going anywhere as far as I know. Suspended, and nowhere near tender stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

BAM are preferred bidder for New Ross Bypass not Waterford - Glenmore:

MINISTER PAUL KEHOE TD has welcomed the announcement of BAM PPP PGGM and Iridium consortium as preferred tenderers for the new €217 million New Ross bypass that will create 300 construction jobs.

Speaking on the announcement of the preferred tenderer this morning, Minister Kehoe said;

“I welcome the announcement of the preferred tenderer for the completion of what is one of the biggest single infrastructure projects ever undertaken in County Wexford with a 13.6KM stretch of dual carriageway and 1.2KM of single carriageway – that will make up the new bypass. I want to wish BAM PPP PGGM and Dragados all the best with the project that will commence shortly.

“This project will create 300 jobs during its construction and on completion the new road will bypass New Ross on the N25 route and link the N25 with the N30 New Ross to Enniscorthy road. The new bypass will remove a major bottleneck on the N25 route and improve access to County Wexford and Rosslare from Cork and Waterford”.

• Advertisement

PoolDude wrote: »
    BAM are preferred bidder for New Ross Bypass not Waterford - Glenmore:

Nobody said they were...

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

L1011 wrote: »
    Nobody said they were...

Read post #268. I was trying to help clarify the situation

Why do I get the feeling they stole my picture from two days ago (the one I nicked from the EIS), neatened it up a bit and stuck it on the article :D

102_7455%20-%20Copy_zpsk8fm3vmi.jpg

102_7467%20-%20Copy_zpspsxgfj3j.jpg

102_7468%20-%20Copy_zpsmveswwsx.jpg

I put up these 3 photos as a marker , because I think that the new by-pass will be built in the distance from where these were taken. ( Pink Rock )

Welcome to correct me if I am wrong .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

Good photo montage of New Bridge can be found in BAMs spring newsletter

http://www.bamcontractors.ie/public/userfiles/files/BAM-World-Spring-2015.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

344094.pngTook a screenshot of montgage.
    I had hoped to take some photos of the site today as I was fishing beside the Barrow Bridge, but didn't have time in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Any word on a bridge toll yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

In fairness the south East is going from having some of the worst national roads network in the country to the very best. M9,M11 and N25 all to a high standard soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

bigroad wrote: »
    Any word on a bridge toll yet.

I think I recall it will be a 'shadow toll'...............refer to attached link for explanation.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_toll

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I think I recall it will be a 'shadow toll'...............refer to attached link for explanation.........
    The N18 Limerick Bypass and the M3 have those but I wasn't aware N25 was getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The N18 Limerick Bypass and the M3 have those but I wasn't aware N25 was getting one.

Really? So they've removed the toll gates on those roads and the government just pays based on the vehicle counts?

Makes sense for New Ross I would think - and it would make sense on the N25 TF Meagher bridge in Waterford too - so many people would use that bridge twice a day if they didn't have to pay.

I don't think it is
    http://www.nra.ie/docs/press-releases/N25-New-Ross-Bypass-PPP-Tender-Competition.pdf
    The Authority wishes to invite companies to tender on
    a design, build, finance, operate and maintain basis for
    the N25 New Ross Bypass PPP Scheme. Payments to
    be made by the Public sector to the private sector PPP
    contractor in respect of this PPP Project will be based
    on an availability based payment mechanism

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The N18 and M3 have actual toll gates, but the then government gave the operaters guaranteed income clauses which means they pay the shortfall if enough people don't use them. The Waterford bypass "toll" is paid for 100% by the government rather than by motorists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bards

The N18 and M3 have actual toll gates, but the then government gave the operaters guaranteed income clauses which means they pay the shortfall if enough people don't use them. The Waterford bypass "toll" is paid for 100% by the government rather than by motorists.

I assume you mean New Ross Bypass Toll, as drivers currently pay to use the Waterford Toll

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Bards wrote: »
    I assume you mean New Ross Bypass Toll, as drivers currently pay to use the Waterford Toll

Yeah, getting myself confused. The main point was that N3 and N18 aren't shadow tolls though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yeah, getting myself confused. The main point was that N3 and N18 aren't shadow tolls though.

So to summarise, drivers on the N3 and N18 pay tolls and the government make up the shortfall.

On the N25 bridge in Waterford, drivers pay the tolls too - but does the government make up the shortfall?

The New Ross bridge will not feature tolls for drivers, but the government will pay a shadow toll based on "availability". Presumably that means a flat rate unless the bridge is closed from time to time, or else traffic congestion gets really bad (I can't see this happening until they host the ploughing again! :D).

The N18 and M3 have actual toll gates, but the then government gave the operaters guaranteed income clauses which means they pay the shortfall if enough people don't use them.
    Sorry, yea - you're right.
    So will N25 New Ross be the only shadow-tolled facility in the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

fricatus wrote: »
    So to summarise, drivers on the N3 and N18 pay tolls and the government make up the shortfall.

On the N25 bridge in Waterford, drivers pay the tolls too - but does the government make up the shortfall?

The New Ross bridge will not feature tolls for drivers, but the government will pay a shadow toll based on "availability". Presumably that means a flat rate unless the bridge is closed from time to time, or else traffic congestion gets really bad (I can't see this happening until they host the ploughing again! :D).

Yes

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sorry, yea - you're right.
    So will N25 New Ross be the only shadow-tolled facility in the country?
    Isn't the M17/M18 Gort to Tuam shadow tolled too?

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Yes

I'm pretty certain the Waterford Bypass was at-risk, only the M3 and N18 were guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain the Waterford Bypass was at-risk, only the M3 and N18 were guaranteed.

Sorry your correct. Got confused in an article about them. The N25 and M6 make up the top 4 loss making roads with each losing around 30 million pa.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Sorry your correct. Got confused in an article about them. The N25 and M6 make up the top 4 loss making roads with each losing around 30 million pa.
    What?? That can't be right. I think you mean 3 million pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

What?? That can't be right. I think you mean 3 million pa.

The figure is correct, but it's not an annual loss it's total losses to 2013.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/lossmaking-toll-operator-now-targets-offramps-for-charges-29437524.html
    Records from the Companies Registration Office show that the M6 now carries an accumulated loss of some €30m, while accounts filed by Celtic Roads Group (Waterford) Ltd show accumulated losses of €26.3m for 2010 and 2011 for the N25.

Any news about this project? Any chance for signing contracts soon?

It would be nice if they could start construction this year. Is the path of the roadway fenced off?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

Any news about this project? Any chance for signing contracts soon?

It would be nice if they could start construction this year. Is the path of the roadway fenced off?

I'd say Bam will move seamlessly onto this project after finishing Arklow to Rathnew by the August bank holiday weekend. That's my guess anyway. They are like the Borg with these road projects

sonnyblack wrote: »
    I'd say Bam will move seamlessly onto this project after finishing Arklow to Rathnew by the August bank holiday weekend. That's my guess anyway. They are like the Borg with these road projects

Well, before they move they have to sign contract first.
    Besides, skills and machinery needed for building the big bridge will have to come from somewhere else as there was no similar scale structure on M11 project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Besides, skills and machinery needed for building the big bridge will have to come from somewhere else as there was no similar scale structure on M11 project.

There's a few lads on the pink rock side of that bridge who've plenty of ideas about how the bridge should be built. You might as well give them a white hard hat and a clean high viz now because they'll be a permanent presence overseeing the work.

How about contract signing then? Any rumours?

• Advertisement

Report in today's Wexford people that contracts still not signed and the construction will not start until very late 2015, or more likely 2016. They say construction on both projects should be finished by 2018. There is even a chance that the Enniscorthy scheme may start first. I'll link to the article when it is online later this week.

Advertisement