Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic on the Rock Road and Strand Road lately...

Options
  • 23-10-2007 8:22pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else have to use the Rock Road in Blackrock and the Strand Road in Sandymount on a daily basis? For the last 15 months I've been travelling from Blackrock/Monkstown area, down the rock road, over the Merrion gates, down the strand road and over the toll bridge just past the Point. Since the schools went back the traffic was been horrific. My journey takes 15 minutes with no traffic (weekend, bank holiday etc) - it takes me about an hour on average at the moment, and that is leaving at between 7.15 and 7.30. Last week it took me 40 mins to get from Maxwell Motors to the Punch Bowl. That is less than one mile - Insane. Why they felt the need to put in a bus lane I have no idea, I rarely see buses in there at all!

In the last few weeks the traffic on the strand road coming home (south) is getting worse and worse. It moves inches at a time Took me 45 mins to get from the toll bride to the Merrion gates. It seems only a handful of cars get through before the gates come down, and trains come by every few mins yet the gates are down many minutes before they need to - it's madness!

I can't understand why they can't try to find some solution. Anyone else sit in this every day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not having a go but you have the option of the Dart plus a buslane for most of your journey.
    A lot of Dubliners, especially out in West Dublin would kill for that.

If your destination is the Point, it's only a 15 minute walk from Tara St if you don't need your car for work.

You may complain about the buslane but you remember one bus can take say 20-30 cars off the road based on the fact that I'd say most cars in the city have only 1-2 people in them. So taking out the buslane may speed up your journey but it's not realy a solution.

Regarding the level crossing I'd imagine it's for safety reasons. How close to the arrival of the train do you want to cut it all for the sake of letting a few extra cars through? One of the rail experts here can advise on this.

Ultimatly OP and I expect a flaming for saying it but you take a private car on your own into the city centre then don't moan about traffic. Your are the problem and not the solution.
    Space is limited and we can't widen all the roads for you.

Buy a moped if you want to get somewhere fast, that's how the clever people commute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I half agree with you micmclo (that people like Zascar are the problem). But does he really have an alternative? I've live in West Dublin, and no matter how bad traffic is, it's always worse on public transport. I spent 6 years relying on buses/trains/luas and spent the last 2 in the car and I rue the day when I go back. And I doubt it's limited to West Dublin.

For years the government has been trying to frustrate people out of their cars (or else I'm a conspiracy theorist...). For people like myself who need their car for their job, it can drive you mental.

I'm not familiar with bus routes in the area that Zascar is talking about, but it seems that placement of bus lanes is more about sending a message (deterrent/advertisement) than being functional. Speaking of West Dublin, how about the perfectly straight Ongar Road with it's lovely bus lanes (with no buses) and 50km speed limit despite the walls/fences that surround the adjacent housing estates. Buses still go through Clonsilla, which is more backed up due to the doubled-up rail service closing off the only exit from West Dublin that doesn't involve the N3, Kilshane Cross or Knockmaroon Hill (familiar to traffic announcements). Garda plague that road, hardly an accident black-spot, despite numerous close-calls I've witnessed due to impatient/frustrated drivers doing some crazy overtaking (which would be eased with a 60km speed limit IMO). Crawling at 49km down that road, seemingly stopping at every traffic-light, with Garda watching you and 20 cars queued up behind you is an agonising trip into insanity. Yet in today's commuter-town society - West Dublin are the extremely lucky ones!

I feel apologetic to people from Meath, Kildare, Wicklow etc. who've read this (as if they had the time to).

Drivers on Irish roads are getting more and more crazy because of the hassle they have to put up with. And you hear about more and more strange bus lanes. Delays on buying more buses. One way systems in the Phoenix Park. Operation Freezeflow. More cars using the port tunnel than trucks. Feeding ALL the trucks into Ireland's biggest roadworks. Just, you know, closing off ramps on the Red Cow roundabout - sure there's no traffic in Ballymount. Using the same old strategy with the M3. Bla bla bla bla bla.

What can we do about it? Not vote for the same crowd in government? Tried that. Emmigrate? Maybe.

Haven't had a good rant in a while actually... <sigh>...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

When did the bus lane go live? it was not in operation for ages

It's a very level journey for cycling.

The only way car traffic will speed up is if they put more buses and trains on the route. There aren't enough buses available to fill the QBC as the govt has been starving Dublin Bus for years. The DART service is massively overloaded and is losing carriages from its peak service journeys that are already too infrequent and unreliable.

What solution are you thinking of? The road is full. Even if they added an extra lane, it would soon fill up with people who stopped using the bus or the train. If they charged people to drive up the rock road that would make your journey faster. How much would you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Zascar wrote: »
    it takes me about an hour on average at the moment, and that is leaving at between 7.15 and 7.30. Last week it took me 40 mins to get from Maxwell Motors to the Punch Bowl. That is less than one mile - Insane. Why they felt the need to put in a bus lane I have no idea, I rarely see buses in there at all!!
    Pull the other one will ya!! Your telling us you sit on the rock road for up to 40 mins and you rarely see a bus in the bus lane? try opening your eyes.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OTK wrote: »
    When did the bus lane go live?
    When the number 4 was extended to Blackrock.

The are a fair few services along the Merrion Road / Rock Road. Routes 4, 5, 7, 7a, 7e, 8, 45 + Patton Flyer. Thats 56+5+84+4+33+7+54=243 DB departures per day.

Then there is all sorts of choice on the N11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

spareman wrote: »
    Pull the other one will ya!! Your telling us you sit on the rock road for up to 40 mins and you rarely see a bus in the bus lane? try opening your eyes.:eek:

Every car driver I've ever spoken to says the same thing about bus lanes. Because the buses aren't stuck in traffic like they are, they think there are no buses and then lane isn't being used. It's the same total lack of understanding and consideraion that causes a lot of them - who don't need their cars for work - to drive in the first place.

And yes, I know there are people who do need their cars for work but they're very much in the minority compared to all the office and shop workers in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Is public transport not an option for you? I honestly cant believe that every person sitting in that traffic hasn't got the option of taking the dart or bus to town. I come the opposite way (I live in Raheny and work in Blackrock) and it really bugs me to see people put up with that traffic when they are driving by trian stations. Also, the amout of cars with 1 child going to schools is shocking. It definitely contributes to the madness around Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

keano_afc wrote:
    and it really bugs me to see people put up with that traffic when they are driving by trian stations

How do you know the train is an option? They could be coming from miles away and parking at the station could be full, and/or they might not be heading to the city centre/somewhere along train route.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Stark wrote: »
    How do you know the train is an option? They could be coming from miles away and parking at the station could be full, and/or they might not be heading to the city centre/somewhere along train route.

If you're on the Rock road heading inbound, chances are you're going to the city centre. I get off the train in Blackrock as late as 9:30 and there are always spaces in the car park. I know it costs €5, which is ridiculous.

keano_afc wrote:
    I get off the train in Blackrock as late as 9:30 and there are always spaces in the car park. I know it costs €5, which is ridiculous.

I see... €5 is actually very good value when you consider the costs of parking in the city centre. Personally, I can't imagine passing up the opportunity to speed into the city centre on the DART in favour of sitting in a car getting frustrated with traffic, but I guess some folks are probably a little too attached to their cars.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

why cant people drive motorbikes?? takes me 25 minutes to get into the city centre from celbridge every day - dont know how people can put up with the traffic in town to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Why not cycle on a pushbike

you will beat all the cars and get fitter too.

As someone said, the road is full and there are NO authorized plans to make it better for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Does anyone else have to use the Rock Road in Blackrock and the Strand Road in Sandymount on a daily basis? For the last 15 months I've been travelling from Blackrock/Monkstown area, down the rock road, over the Merrion gates, down the strand road and over the toll bridge just past the Point. Since the schools went back the traffic was been horrific. My journey takes 15 minutes with no traffic (weekend, bank holiday etc) - it takes me about an hour on average at the moment, and that is leaving at between 7.15 and 7.30. Last week it took me 40 mins to get from Maxwell Motors to the Punch Bowl. That is less than one mile - Insane. Why they felt the need to put in a bus lane I have no idea, I rarely see buses in there at all!

In the last few weeks the traffic on the strand road coming home (south) is getting worse and worse. It moves inches at a time Took me 45 mins to get from the toll bride to the Merrion gates. It seems only a handful of cars get through before the gates come down, and trains come by every few mins yet the gates are down many minutes before they need to - it's madness!

I can't understand why they can't try to find some solution. Anyone else sit in this every day?

If you are going to near the Point Depot from Blackrock why not try the DART to Tara Street and 151 bus from Custom House Quay to Castleforbes Road?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's a 15 walk to the dart and another 10 minute walk to work, so it takes around the same time to drive even with traffic - so really I'd rather sit in traffic in my car than have to freeze my ass off and be squashed into a dart. Yes you are right that it is people like me that are the problem, but I do actually need my car for work.

traffic sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It's a 15 walk to the dart and another 10 minute walk to work, so it takes around the same time to drive even with traffic - so really I'd rather sit in traffic in my car than have to freeze my ass off and be squashed into a dart.
    The 50 minutes of walking is good exercise. The Irish Heart Foundation recommends 30 mins, 5 days a week.
    but I do actually need my car for work.
    Can you please elaborate. Lots of people say this and the rest of us are genuinely curious.

Zascar wrote:
    than have to freeze my ass off

You'll warm up when you get walking :p

Stark wrote: »
    You'll warm up when you get walking :p
    And when you get squashed on the DART.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

That's one of the things I hate the most, it's so packed you can't even open a newspaper in front of your face sometimes. Not exactly attractive to people who have the choice of taking the car vs public transport...

That's one of the things I hate the most, it's so packed you can't even open a newspaper in front of your face sometimes. Not exactly attractive to people who have the choice of taking the car vs public transport...
    Flexible working hours can help.

Anyhow, back to the original question:
    Zascar wrote:
    but I do actually need my car for work.but I do actually need my car for work.
    Can you please elaborate. The question is not an attack on your choice (though replies to your answer might be :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

I must have fallen asleep during the part of the driving test where they check your ability to read a newspaper while driving.
    Last week it took me 40 mins to get from Maxwell Motors to the Punch Bowl. That is less than one mile - Insane. Why they felt the need to put in a bus lane I have no idea, I rarely see buses in there at all!

Traffic on the Rock Road has always been awful in peak hours, 15 years ago it would often take an hour or more to get from Temple Hill to Ballsbridge. There are simply too many people who "need their car for work" using the road.

the bus lane is there to help all the people who "don't need their car for work" to get where they are going quicker.

• Advertisement

John R wrote: »
    I must have fallen asleep during the part of the driving test where they check your ability to read a newspaper while driving.

You must not have had Evening Herald guys on your test route. You're supposed to buy a paper off them and have it read by the time you get back to the test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,281 ✭✭✭✭Victor

daymobrew wrote: »
    Can you please elaborate. The question is not an attack on your choice (though replies to your answer might be :p )
    Careful now.

Advertisement