Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerosene Boiler for central heating not heating the water at tap

Options
  • 20-10-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone give me advice about not having hot water through taps after central heating works full hours?

I am living in semi-detached with central heating using Kerosene. I was`t using the boiler until last week due to level of kerosene in the tank.

I got 500litres of kerosene and central heating working perfectly fine to heat the whole house but Kerosene Boiler for central heating not heating the water in taps in toilets and kitchen sink tap. It is just warm water.(slightly cold)

It used to be always very hot water in all taps when the central heating was on even for half an hour.

Nobody altered with any setting of boiler or no other work done through the heater panels in house.

What would be the possible reason for not having hot water in taps ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

has the valve at bottom of hot water tank been closed off accidentally?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

newbie13 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can someone give me advice about not having hot water through taps after central heating works full hours?

I am living in semi-detached with central heating using Kerosene. I was`t using the boiler until last week due to level of kerosene in the tank.

I got 500litres of kerosene and central heating working perfectly fine to heat the whole house but Kerosene Boiler for central heating not heating the water in taps in toilets and kitchen sink tap. It is just warm water.(slightly cold)

It used to be always very hot water in all taps when the central heating was on even for half an hour.

Nobody altered with any setting of boiler or no other work done through the heater panels in house.

What would be the possible reason for not having hot water in taps ?

Thanks.

Go up to your attic and see if you have a small tank. If so, have a look into if and see if it's empty.
    Otherwise take a pic of the Hotpress pipework

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    has the valve at bottom of hot water tank been closed off accidentally?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Go up to your attic and see if you have a small tank. If so, have a look into if and see if it's empty.
    Otherwise take a pic of the Hotpress pipework

I dont think valve been closed.
    I went up to attic. there is one small and big tank and both of them with water in them. but water in small one is look bit dirty , I dont know why ?

here are the photos

more pictures from attic and hot press

more pictures from attic and hot press

The valve on the bottom right of the cylinder. Close it fully clockwise and open 1 turn anticlockwise. Is the water in the small tank higher than the fitting in the bottom of the tank?

• Advertisement

The valve on the bottom right of the cylinder. Close it fully clockwise and open 1 turn anticlockwise. Is the water in the small tank higher than the fitting in the bottom of the tank?

I did the valve but I dont understand what do you mean with " fitting in bottom of tank.

As I said before, there 2 tanks in attic cover insulated with plastic (which is poor job done by plumber).

Water level in the big tank is near to top of. I can say it is full and small one just 2 inches lower from top neck of tank.

I did the valve but I dont understand what do you mean with " fitting in bottom of tank.

As I said before, there 2 tanks in attic cover insulated with plastic (which is poor job done by plumber).

Water level in the big tank is near to top of. I can say it is full and small one just 2 inches lower from top neck of tank.

There is a water outlet near the base of the small tank. If the water level is over this then that part is ok.
    When the heating is turned on, feel the two pipes going into the right hand side of the cylinder. After about 20 mins the top one should be very hot and the bottom about 10 degrees cooler. Are they?

I touch the pipes going into right side of the cylinder is a warm, left pipe is cold. boiler is ON about an hour,still nothing change.

turning the valve clockwise and anti-clockwise make the water more cooler.

I touch the pipes going into right side of the cylinder is a warm, left pipe is cold. boiler is ON about an hour,still nothing change.

turning the valve clockwise and anti-clockwise make the water more cooler.
    Ignore the pipe on the left. Open the red wheel valve fully then. After 5 mins Both top and bottom should be too hot to touch if the heating has been on for an hour. Is this happening ?

I can`t touch them 2 pipes on the right side of the cylinder too hot.bottom and upper pipe same hot.

Leave the valve on half way. I ll see what will happen ?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/650955/325915.jpg

• Advertisement

I can`t touch them 2 pipes on the right side of the cylinder too hot.bottom and upper pipe same hot.

Leave the valve on half way. I ll see what will happen ?

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/650955/325915.jpg
    You should have hot water shortly so. Keep us informed

no mate.. the upper pipe still very hot but the lower pipe where valve is there less warm. No hot water in taps again.
    The cylinder has hot water but I think circulation is not happening.

no mate.. the upper pipe still very hot but the lower pipe where valve is there less warm. No hot water in taps again.
    The cylinder has hot water but I think circulation is not happening.

That dosent make sense. If the cylinder is hot then the water in the hot taps should be the same. Only other explanation is that you have a big leak on your hot water somewhere.

That dosent make sense. If the cylinder is hot then the water in the hot taps should be the same. Only other explanation is that you have a big leak on your hot water somewhere.

When I said: the cylinder has hot water, I meant that it is generally warm if you put your hands on it. But it used to be hot.

I know as fact that wife leaves the wet clothes in hot press,they are dried by the next morning .

I'll call some one in tomorrow to have a quick look it.

When I said: the cylinder has hot water, I meant that it is generally warm if you put your hands on it. But it used to be hot.

I know as fact that wife leaves the wet clothes in hot press,they are dried by the next morning .

I'll call some one in tomorrow to have a quick look it.

I think you have a leak. As your boiler is heating the water it's escaping somewhere else. Don't use any water anywhere for 15 mins. Then Go up to the attic and see if the ballcock in the big tank is refilling

I think you have a leak. As your boiler is heating the water it's escaping somewhere else. Don't use any water anywhere for 15 mins. Then Go up to the attic and see if the ballcock in the big tank is refilling

but if there is any leak, I should see some wetness (dewiness) around house. Dont I ?

but if there is any leak, I should see some wetness (dewiness) around house. Dont I ?

No not always. I've seen pipes come out of fittings and leak for ages without any visible signs. Do what I said and let me know if the ballcock is refilling

No not always. I've seen pipes come out of fittings and leak for ages without any visible signs. Do what I said and let me know if the ballcock is refilling

Any luck with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

This is intriguing. Will be interested to see what the problem turns out to be.

Any luck with this?

I was away, just got home. I `ll try this evening. Thanks.

• Advertisement

I was away, just got home. I `ll try this evening. Thanks.

Well??

no luck.. ballcock stay constant off after tank is filled up to certain level. It it makes girrrrrr sound close to end before completely stops.

when I turn valve the clockwise , lower pipe gets cooler side of the cylinder, I spoke to a local plumber , he will call down at the weekend.

thanks

no luck.. ballcock stay constant off after tank is filled up to certain level. It it makes girrrrrr sound close to end before completely stops.

when I turn valve the clockwise , lower pipe gets cooler side of the cylinder, I spoke to a local plumber , he will call down at the weekend.

thanks

Let us know how it goes

surprisingly the water back to hot level itself last night and today, no plumber no changing any setting in hot press.

Dont know what happened but , i am happy to have hot water through taps in kitchen.

Advertisement